XIM Community

[Q/A] Xim Apex doesn't work with USB Extension and optional Power adapter  (Read 73 times)

Offline burnetet

• View Profile
When I first got my Xim Apex I set it up and it worked no problem. However the second time I tried to use it I was not getting the Xim to connect properly. I went through and checked each individual piece and they were all working. The USB hub works independently connected to my PC and the USB extension works on its own connecting a mouse to my PC. The Xim Apex works if it is connected directly to my xbox and xbox controller without the USB extension. I ordered the 3.5mm power cable as I read that this could be a power issue with using the extension. It still does not work even with the power adapter. I have 2 of these USB extension cables and have tried both of them. I am using this USB extension cable: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NH134L6/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Is this just an issue with the particular extension cable I am using? It is very strange that it worked at first and then stopped working and now it wont even work with power.

« Last Edit: 03:03 PM - 05/16/18 by mist4fun »

Online mist4fun

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
Welcome to the community. It's not uncommon to have issues like this when using an extension. Power loss occurs as you increase distance from the port.

Yes the cable type could matter. Which mouse, keyboard, and console are you using? These will have an effect on stability as well. I'll be able to share options after learning more information.
Have a problem with your XIM4? Find a solution in the XIM4 Support FAQ
XIM4 User Manual   |   XIM Instructional Videos

Offline burnetet

• View Profile
I was using a steel series 310 mouse and a corsair strafe keyboard; however, I have been conducting my tests without either of these even connected. I am trying to just get the xim to connect with only the controller plugged into the hub.

Online mist4fun

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
That's good forethought. I wouldn't expect issues with a 6' extension. I can only think that it being USB 3.0 could be a problem but I again, I wouldn't expect USB 3 being an issue with an extended cable.

Maybe APEX isn't making a good contact with the extension? Could you please try this order?

console-extension-hub-apex-controller

If this helps then APEX isn't liking the ports for these extensions. If it doesn't then I might try a USB 2.0 extension next, either passive or active. Try to stay under 12' if you go this route.
Have a problem with your XIM4? Find a solution in the XIM4 Support FAQ
XIM4 User Manual   |   XIM Instructional Videos