XIM Community

how to use keyboard on apex and pc without remove usb every time  (Read 216 times)

Offline ilpapero

• View Profile
i need split signal or something in order to not switch cable every time, make me crazy.
now i'm using 2 keyboard.. but no space..

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
IOGear GUS402 or Aten US224 USB switch. Same thing, different region.

I use two of these in my gaming setup, as well as a one-port Sabrent USB 2.0 switch.

Offline Od1n

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
you can also use xim link to connect your pc with your xim, that way you can share your mouse and keyboard between the two with a single click
your pc has to run the xim link software in the background though
PS4 & X1 | C: MS | XIM4 | FW: the latest ofc! :) | Mon: BenQ XL2420Z | Pad: Zowie G-SR | KB: Ducky DK1008L Cherry Red O-Rings| A: AKG K701 Creative X7 Antlion Modmic | M: Zowie EC1-A | D: 3200 | P: 1000hz | BF4 4 HIP: 35 ADS: 20

Check out my Youtube Channel: XIMGameplay
Du sprichst Deutsch? Hier gehts zum deutschen Forum

Online Domenic.HRO

• View Profile
I bought Aten USB Switch US224. How should I put the cables in?

Offline Od1n

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
mouse and keyboard go into the middle hub, then connect the two pairs of usb cables to the pc and the xim
with the switch-button you can change between pc and xim then
PS4 & X1 | C: MS | XIM4 | FW: the latest ofc! :) | Mon: BenQ XL2420Z | Pad: Zowie G-SR | KB: Ducky DK1008L Cherry Red O-Rings| A: AKG K701 Creative X7 Antlion Modmic | M: Zowie EC1-A | D: 3200 | P: 1000hz | BF4 4 HIP: 35 ADS: 20

Check out my Youtube Channel: XIMGameplay
Du sprichst Deutsch? Hier gehts zum deutschen Forum

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
mouse and keyboard go into the middle hub, then connect the two pairs of usb cables to the pc and the xim
with the switch-button you can change between pc and xim then
Just to clarify this -

Mouse and keyboard plug into the front of the USB switch.
One cable from the back of the switch goes to PC.
One cable from the back of the switch goes to Apex USB hub.
The controller must be connected direct to the Apex USB hub.

Also worth noting is the switch comes with a 5V USB charging port than can be run to a USB wall charger.

Offline BiggABennE

• View Profile
  • PSN ID: BiggABennE
Sorry to hijack thread: i was going to make a new post but saw this at the top.  (I think xim link will resolve my.issues overall) 

My question is does anyone know if you can use a usb switch that uses only 1 usb cable to the xim apex hub (instead of 2 usb cables) i.e. iogear gus 432 4x2 usb peripheral switch.  I need a usb 3.0 switch i believe to make my corsair k70 rgb keyboard function

Online Domenic.HRO

• View Profile
Thank you very much for the answer. The USB cable from the switch must be in xim hub at slot 1 or 2?

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
USB switches should not output 2 cables to the one destination. The input to the switch is combined into a single output from the switch to 4 separate devices, ie 2 in, 4 out. Only one output cable should run from the switch to the Apex cable, another cable to PC. That leaves 2 spare output cables to run to another 2 PCs.

For your scenario, have you tried running the USB power cable from the keyboard to a USB wall charger? The other cable (data) connects to the Apex or a USB switch.

By the way, all mice, keyboards, joysticks, controllers, headphones etc are USB 2.0. USB 3.0 is for video and hard drives.

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
Thank you very much for the answer. The USB cable from the switch must be in xim hub at slot 1 or 2?
I've never paid attention as I don't think it matters. To be safe, leave the controller in Apex USB slot 1 and plug the switch into slot 2 or 3.

Offline BiggABennE

• View Profile
Thanks for the answers antithesis. For some reason a kvm swotch i got wasnt working but its probably because it wasnt powered properly.  It seems the corsair rgb k70 can use usb 3.0 to power the whole keyboard instead of plugging both in. I also think thats for an older model k70 rgb because i have read that the 2nd usb its complete passthru which is what ive experienced...

From your earlier post it seems you can have the 1 usb cable from the switch to the apex and the xim will still recognize mouse and keyboard properly?

I was moments from buying a switch today for it

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
From your earlier post it seems you can have the 1 usb cable from the switch to the apex and the xim will still recognize mouse and keyboard properly?
Yes. The switch is more or less a USB hub with multiple outputs instead of one. Each output cable carries the data from all connected devices, just as a USB hub does. Xim supports USB hubs and switches.

So that's one output cable from a USB switch to the PC, and one output cable to the Xim.

You can certainly try a USB 3.0 switch if it'll mean your kb requires only one cable, just make sure the switch is powered. You shouldn't have any problems, but sometimes USB 3.0 hubs and cables don't fully support backwards-compatibility with USB 2.0 devices, or don't like a mix of 3.0 and 2.0 on the same hub.

Offline BiggABennE

• View Profile
Thanks again for the info i went ahead and ordered the iogear usb swotch listed above. Too bad the store i was at earlier today didnt have one :)

Also going to start researching the xim link option/feature for this functionality. It could mean a 5$ cable could replace the 30$switch. Im not really interested in pursuing the usb 3 options just was trying to figure out why the other switch i had didnt work. (Non powered my guess)

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
If the switch doesn't like the two USB cables from the kb, try one to the switch and another to a USB wall charger. I don't know which cable is which, so you'll need to check your kb manual :)

Offline BiggABennE

• View Profile
If the switch doesn't like the two USB cables from the kb, try one to the switch and another to a USB wall charger. I don't know which cable is which, so you'll need to check your kb manual :)

thanks  i did try that with the other kvm switch and i couldnt get it to work. Corsair specifically states they dont test their products with any switches and recommend nkt using them.  (Why are there so many nitpicky amazing items on the market)