XIM Community

Hub compatibility with headset  (Read 145 times)

Offline Alegq

• View Profile
  • PSN ID: Alegq
Hub compatibility with headset
« on: 10:28 AM - 05/08/18 »
Hi, I've been using Xim Apex for a couple of weeks now and I'm pretty happy about its funcionality.

My setup is:
 -Keyboard: Nox Krom Kael RGB Switch Red
 -Mouse: Ozone Argon Black Edition RGB 8200 DPI
And both of them work perfectly fine with Xim Apex, in case you want to add them to the compatibility list.

But the point of this topic is to ask about the hub compatibility with my headset. I decided to start using my own hub, because I was tired of plugging and unplugging my mouse and keyboard to my pc and ps4 everytime I wanted to use either platform, so I bought a hub that allows me to do that with pressing just one bottom, and it works perfectly fine with Xim Apex. However, this hub has four usb slots, so i plugged my wired headset (which I usually plug in the free usb slot of my ps4) in this forth slot, but the the ps4 won't recognize it, eventhough it does when plugged in the free slot of the ps4.
Is Xim Apex interfering somehow? And if it does, can it be solved?

Thank you

Offline mist4fun

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
Re: Hub compatibility with headset
« Reply #1 on: 10:57 AM - 05/08/18 »
There are aspects of this that could create issues. How does the hub attach to APEX and are you using a slim/pro controller?
Have a problem with your XIM4? Find a solution in the XIM4 Support FAQ
XIM4 User Manual   |   XIM Instructional Videos

Offline Alegq

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11:40 AM - 05/08/18 »

I have a ps4 slim, and I did the additional configuration of setting the communication method to USB for the controller as said in the configuration video.
I hope it's clear enough in the picture. Of the two USB cables in the front, one goes from the hub to the pc, and the other one goes to the XIM Apex plugged in the ps4. In the back of the hub, there are four USB slots, three of them used for my mouse, keyboard and ps4 controller, in that order from left to right. The forth one is the free one, in which I'd like to plug my headset to be able to switch the input of all my peripherals from ps4 to pc and vice versa pressing just the gray button of the hub.
At the moment, with just these three things attached, it works perfectly, and pressing the button changes the input the way it should. It is just the headset not detected by the ps4 when it's plugged in the hub.
It's a 2.0 hub, by the way
« Last Edit: 12:25 PM - 05/08/18 by Alegq »

Offline mist4fun

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12:51 PM - 05/08/18 »
Thanks. You won't be able to use a USB device for chat when using APEX and a slim DS4. Another issue is that the switch is connected to APEX. Because APEX is seen as a controller your USB headset won't be recognized by the console in this order anyway.

If you were using a non slim controller with APEX you could attach the switch to the PS4 then APEX to the switch instead and this could work.

The order would go console, switch, APEX + headset + mouse + keyboard. But again, this would only work with a non slim DS4 and only if APEX can work while attached to the switch instead of direct with the console.

Offline Alegq

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02:15 PM - 05/08/18 »
I understand. Is it going to be some sort of patch in future firmware updates to solve this issue in the Slim PS4? I know it has nothing to do with its performance, but it would be pretty useful
Thanks for answering, it was helpful

Offline mist4fun

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03:34 PM - 05/08/18 »
Unfortunately no, the PS4 is limited to seeing two audio devices when the controller is used in usb mode and APEX and controller each count as one. USB mode is required when using a slim DS4.

Your two options now are to switch to an older non slim controller or switch to a stereo headset that only attaches to your controller.

Offline Alegq

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02:05 PM - 05/09/18 »
Okay, so I borrowed an old DS4 controller from a friend to see if it works. The thing is, if I connect the XIM Apex to the switch instead of to the PS4 as you said, the console detects the mouse and keyboard as normal peripherals, not through the XIM Apex.

Then I decided to do this. Conect the XIM Apex hub to my new hub, and then the peripherals and the controller to it, with my headseat in one of the free slots of my hub, and it works perfectly, but when switching to the pc, it won't detect my keyboard and mouse through the XIM Apex.
It is getting messy, I know, but I hope there is an easy solution to it. Thank you for your attention

Offline mist4fun

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 08:04 AM - 05/10/18 »
Right, these setups can get complicated. A quick fix would be to use two switches.

I use a mixer to share audio between multiple sources. I'm not the guy to ask about setup though, again these can be complicated and you would need to get the correct cables and adapters.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CTKI5QA/