XIM Community

What's the deal with disappointing remasters lately?  (Read 156 times)

Offline Phil Ashio

• MVP
    • View Profile
I know some people complain about them but I like to be able to play games I missed out on in a more modernized form or replay games I liked that are now better than ever. However, in the past couple of months we've had some disappointing remaster news.

Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Collection is only straight ports of first editions of the arcade games and not the superior final builds or console versions. Dark Souls being worse in as many ways as it is better visually. The rumor that MW2R will be single player only. And now, almost as bad, is the Shenmue remaster being little more than a pack of the first two games uprezzed.

It's clearly a cash in on the momentum built by Shenmue 3. We know Sega can do a full on remaster as evidenced by Yakuza Kiwami and Yakuza 2. Why they couldn't give one of their most revered franchises and anticipated remasters more love?

Offline Od1n

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
Re: What's the deal with disappointing remasters lately?
« Reply #1 on: 12:03 PM - 04/14/18 »
same reason as for why hollywood perfers sequels over new IPs, its an easy and save moneygrab

- fanbase will back it up
- already established storyline, setting, gameplay and lore thats confirmed to work
- lower marketing campaign needed as its already established
- requires less work and therefore money than starting from the scratch
- overall the risks are much lower
PS4 & X1 | C: MS | XIM4 | FW: the latest ofc! :) | Mon: BenQ XL2420Z | Pad: Zowie G-SR | KB: Ducky DK1008L Cherry Red O-Rings| A: AKG K701 Creative X7 Antlion Modmic | M: Zowie EC1-A | D: 3200 | P: 1000hz | BF4 4 HIP: 35 ADS: 20

Check out my Youtube Channel: XIMGameplay
Du sprichst Deutsch? Hier gehts zum deutschen Forum

Offline Phil Ashio

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01:04 PM - 04/14/18 »
Yeah, but we've seen a lot of quality remasters this gen. My beef isn't with remasters all together it's with no effort half assed ports in the guise of remasters that have been happening a lot this year. It can be argued that those do more harm than good to the franchise. I mean, look at the response to Dark Souls, MW2R; and even Burnout Paradise.

Offline OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
« Reply #3 on: 05:31 PM - 04/14/18 »
Response to Burnout Paradise Remastered been good or bad? I've been thinking about picking it up.
Get the most out of your XIM APEX, read the XIM APEX Support FAQ.

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07:30 PM - 04/14/18 »
Dark Souls being worse in as many ways as it is better visually.
Is that nostalgia goggles though? From what I've read they've only updated the gfx.

Many remasters highlight how poorly designed many of the originals were compared to more modern games (e.g the horrendous controls in Shadow of the Colossus).

Response to Burnout Paradise Remastered been good or bad? I've been thinking about picking it up.
Me too. I loved it on PS3, but I'm a tightwad and will wait for a sale. I imagine it's more or less a straight conversion from the PC release with little more than a texture upgrade, but I'll get it nonetheless.

Offline Phil Ashio

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02:03 PM - 04/15/18 »

If you like the original there's nothing to worry about. It's that some people thought it's not enough of an upgrade, but for a game like Burnout Paradise I'd say 60fps is more important than improved graphics. Plus, there were a lot of "Paradise was my least favorite, remaster 3" comments.

On a side note you can get it for $10 less with Xbox Gold right now.

Dark Souls being worse in as many ways as it is better visually.
Is that nostalgia goggles though? From what I've read they've only updated the gfx.

https://youtu.be/OkF6buGVvyM?t=7m22s

Look at the concrete railing on the right. Looks like a flat texture with missing normal maps. Then look at the lighting on the wall, muted and dull. Watch the video, all through out they mention toned down specular maps and lighting in many areas. While in some areas, like the boss fight, the lighting is amped up but it reveals some hideous textures and kills atmosphere. DF claim it looks more natural but the community seems to agree that in a lot of ways it's a downgrade. It really is a mix of upgrades and downgrades. Though, the gameplay tweeks that bring it more in line with DS3 are a good thing.

Offline Duke3d

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 08:42 AM - 04/17/18 »
Yeah, a huge number of them are cash grabs. As already said, it's just like movie remakes. Most of them make me want to tear out my eye balls.

However there are some that are gold. I may have never played either of the original Bioshock games if they had not come out in Remastered form. That would have been a shame because they are incredible games.

Abe's Oddworld Oddysee is another great game that hasn't aged well as far as graphics go but got a very nice face lift with a remaster/redo.

The old COD games aren't really on my radar so I can't speak to them, along with a lot of others. But there are a bunch of old games that are very difficult to play because they have not aged well. Some of those games have incredible stories to tell or great gameplay dynamics that most modern games do not have.

TLDR: If it's a game that came out on last-gen console, it feels like a blatant cash grab (come on, backwards compat).
If it's anything longer than that, it's possible that it could be worth it.

Provided they don't F it up.
sudo apt-get install GoldenPistol