XIM Community

[TUT] Superior Translation via Unorthodox Method (Performance Tweak)  (Read 5806 times)

Offline mjfame

• "Kolibri King" | Global Rank #1
    • View Profile
    • BF1 Kolibri King aka the BabyPistolPro: #1 in the world. (Semi-Retired)
  • Gamertag: MJ FAME (Active)
  • PSN ID: MJ-FAME (Retired)

I'm pretty sure off in the beta is actually the equivalent of the default Apex experience, not default.

YES. You are correct but I was stating that I have playtested the 120Hz setting with 60FPS titles thoroughly enough to comfortably recommend its usability.

For Beta:

OFF = Original APEX Vanilla FW (NoSync)
DEFAULT = 120cycles/sec
COMMON = 60cycles/sec
SLOW = 30cycles/sec
XIM APEX // BETA : 20180402
Logitech G Pro // Swift-RX XL // XB1X // Sony GDM-FW900 (CRT) // BenQ RL2455HM (LCD)

"Kolibri King" | Global Rank #1 | 2017.07.27 (10k)

https://battlefieldtracker.com/bf1/leaderboards/all/Kills/weapon/33f9105c-40c7-3980-7982-add4b9f6311a

Offline PixelSquish

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: TahiniMeanie
I just made 3 configs with this curve but with 0 smoothing, since I'm running at 3200dpi and 500hz, figured those were low enough to not introduce jitter and need smoothing. With all the AA turned off or bf1, destiny 2, and far cry 5 (using abf1 config for that, no official one yet) I'll test them out shortly.

Cheers!

Offline YeaItsMe

• View Profile
Thanks for this.

Apex has been great for me with COD WWII and Overwatch but Fortnite has been giving me fits. Tried this curve and your recommendations...this is the best Fortnite has felt to me.  Just wanted to post to say Thank You.

0.98 for both hip and ads...ads is soooo much better. Won 4 duos in a row this morning.
12,000 dpi...1,000hz...default...smoothing 20
« Last Edit: 12:15 PM - 04/01/18 by YeaItsMe »

Offline TSARGA

• View Profile
  • PSN ID: SkubaniecTSARGA
Aim Assist works great by translating this way. Better in fact. So it doesn't matter if you use it or not. Due to the ballistic shift being utilized, this translation method works so much better that AA OFF performance is ridiculously better, as well compared to using the higher multiplier methods. It just feels on-point as it would if playing on PC.

No, aim assist works the same.

What's the ballistic shift?

Offline lmulli

• View Profile
Interesting thread!  Thanks to the Op for the work put in.

Offline systole

• View Profile
Thanks for sharing this. i used to do this with xim4 with almost all games with usable look speeds. i just tried this with destiny 2 for a bit with the apex, even tweaking smoothing, unfortunately it seems to handle worse than what i had set up, but not terribly so, marginal. id wager its the game's lousy acceleration at any speed or sensitivity. still recommend people try this.

Offline R3MiX

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • PSN ID: KAMPR-
I used this on pubg and found it surprisingly good. I recommended it to some friends but stated that this just increases sensitivity and there's nothing special about it, in fact it was described as "retarded". Is this the case? Does the curve really just increase your sensitivity.
« Last Edit: 09:39 AM - 04/01/18 by R3MiX »
XiM3R since ever since.

Offline Meric1984

• View Profile
  • PSN ID: Meric_1984

Might try it out.
But what do you mean with "Use this code for HIP and for ADS and make adjustments in .01 increments
Example adjustment: If sens = .63 and you wish to test higher then set to .64 next."

This means that a change of .01 sensitivity will be much larger than it would be with the default ballistic. You will need to manually enter the values rather than use the arrow buttons during the refinement period.

Or do I just have to copy paste your curve and use the sense I like?

Copy/Paste the curve and find the sens that feels best for your setup. Use the highest possible DPI and 1,000Hz. I have updated the OP by providing my latest settings with an explanation. The sensitivity is being used at 16,000 DPI // 1,000Hz with Ballistic applied to both Hip and ADS // Sync set to SLOW for both HIP and ADS. Whenever I adjust my HIP sense I multiply is by .625 then round up or down (depending on how low of a multiplier I am working with but either will work about the same) My HIP to ADS ratio is always approx .625 for this game.

If you are running a lower DPI then I am and you have your heart set on adapting my sens values to your setup then use the DPI calculator by following the provided link.

http://www.csgosetup.com/dpi-calculator/

Cool cool thanks. What sync would you suggest for a game like Destiny 2 (30 FPS)?

Regards,
Meric

Offline smallstonefan

• View Profile
I just tried this with Battlefield 4 and it absolutely feels better to me. My micro adjustments - such as when using FLIR on a DMR - are much more controlled. I am able to keep on a moving target better and get the multiple shots off for the DMR kill. This is something I've struggled with in the past. I'm going to try PubG next...

Thank you for this! I'm a programmer myself and I'm really curious as to what is going on under the hood here. If you are anywhere near Omaha, drinks are on me! :)

james

Offline PixelSquish

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: TahiniMeanie
I just got to test BF1 in this so far - I made a separate config and got my 360 degree turn to be the same amount of inches as my BF1 profile under default. Both with 3200 DPI and 500hz polling. It was very good, just like the default profile is very good, but I didn't notice anything better about it so far.

Going to have to test out games that aren't very good with the XIM to see how that feels. Games like Destiny 2 and Far Cry 5

Offline TSARGA

• View Profile
  • PSN ID: SkubaniecTSARGA
I used this on pubg and found it surprisingly good. I recommended it to some friends but stated that this just increases sensitivity and there's nothing special about it, in fact it was described as "retarded". Is this the case? Does the curve really just increase your sensitivity.

Your friends are right, it only increases the sensitivity.

Offline mattyb98

• View Profile
Thank you for taking the time to potentially help the xim community to a huge degree i really appriciate all the time and effort you have put in here and will spend a day or so playing around with it and give the best feedback possible based on my experiences. Thanks again for not just keeping this too yourself.

Offline natiT

• View Profile
OMG @#$% God this is so good on overwatch!! I always felt overwatch being clunky but now it's Soo smooth thank you Soo much

Offline Meric1984

• View Profile
  • PSN ID: Meric_1984
Obviously, the traditional method does work but it's apparent that the chain is incomplete and I believe that it is actually the backwards approach. It is the cause for so many performance breaking, pixel-skipping and targeting imperfections. 

Today I will be demonstrating an unorthodox, yet, extremely, effective method for designing a translation.

This is an inverse translation method that i believe actually to be a more precise way to translate.

It involves using a very extreme ballistic acceleration curve with an extremely low sens multiple with max smoothing. Sounds scary but I assure you that once you test this you will throw everything you thought that you knew about mouse translation out the window.

This produces a much more accurate feeling of raw input via a translation that feels snappy and has virtually zero performance gaps. You will still be able to achieve that 1:1 feel but even more so. Much closer to true raw mouse as it feels when gaming on PC games that support raw mouse. Best of all your not eliminating the acceleration, you're actually reinjecting it back into your translation in the form of a vanila ballistic shift, however, in this case the raw mouse data dominates the curve rather than the other way around. It is just the glue that holds it all together. The missing link if you will. This is why it works the way that it does.

The ballistic is incredibly steep making this all possible by allowing the user to utilize a more appropriate starting speed which completely eliminates hard starts from zero while better matching the velocity of analog. This should be apparent to anyone who is familiar with the feel of raw mouse aiming on PC provides. Your mouse output should feel smoother and more responsive out of the gate without preventing you from reaching your desired top-end speed. Overall the handling should feel natural and accurate.

Based off of how it performs and how it feels compared to true raw native mouse I believe this method to replicate this with a noticeably higher level of execution. The resulting superior performance doesn't lie. Aim assist ON / OFF doesn't matter because it handles everything better. This works with any game and makes configuring a breeze.

I used to achieve similar performance with my Titan One using Gtuner by setting my Mouse DPI to 16,000 and setting the Gtuner DPI to 1 then working in the hundredths & thousandths columns to the right of the decimal point and the results were far superior to any commonly practiced method of translation. I'm confident that this rendition of that is the catalyst that will begin to pave the way for an even better XIM experience for everyone.

Use Max mouse DPI @ 1,000Hz and set Smoothing to 20 and set Synchronization to DEFAULT

I have provided a sample CoD WWII [XB1] config designed for use @16,000DPI // 1,000Hz // Default Synchronization to give you an idea of how this works so you can gauge your approximate sens at your DPI level..

Even if you believe that you know EVERYTHING you should try this ASAP if you haven't before translated this way. You could also ignore, acknowledge and move on but you would only be hurting yourself. I've always invested thorough R&D time into my interests. This is an act of selflessness. Rather than keep these discoveries to myself, I believe in giving back to the sharing these findings so that we all can enjoy the benefits. Who know, the devs may be able to bake this into the device so that it occurs naturally which would make our traditional configs perform even better. We all benefit from exposure.. It is the fastrack to the next big breakthrough. Enjoy yourselves.

Use this code for HIP and for ADS and make adjustments in .01 increments
Example adjustment: If sens = .63 and you wish to test higher then set to .64 next.

Code: [Select]
>>> XIM APEX [Translate Ballistics] START COPY >>>
X5BC:AAAH0A+gF3AfQKcQJxAnECcQJxAnECcQJxAnECcQJxAnECcQJxAnECcQJxAnECcQJxAnECcQJxAnECcQJxAnECcQJxAnECcQJxAnECcQJxAnECcQJxAnECcQJxAnECcQJxAnECcQ:X5BC
<<< XIM APEX END COPY <<<

I would believe that I was playing the PC version using this configuration, If I didn't already know otherwise. It really does feel the way raw native feels on PC. I recommend that if you've tried disabling Aim Assist slowdown and rotation in the past but couldn't deal with it you should try it again on this config, at some point. It's fantastic.

XIM APEX is still in BETA and this should tip off the devs that a curve such as this needs to be implemented as the default ballistic so that the sens multiplier values can be set as usual. This is a more accurate representation of the way that a mouse swipe feels and performs from zero to one-hundred with raw-mouse output supported PC games. It performs better in-game with or without aim assist, with less effort and/or band-aids at the user-level. It shows that there is room for improvement and, as great as the XIM APEX is, it demonstrates that it is perfectly capable of reaching this level of performance. This provides the entire community with access to this information. It provides anyone who is involved in the development process the toolset to playtest and know exactly how it was achieved so that default behavior could be easily modified on the back-end in a future revision. That's the point.

Update #1:
Currently using these settings with NoSync and Aim Assist OFF. Diggin it.

Update #2
Evolution of Update #1 - Sens & Smoothing Adjustment + Sync-Free with AA - Disabled

Here's a demo-reel of this ballistic over WWII with Aim Assist Slowdown & Rotation completely disabled.
This was an enjoyable experience.. I actually played overnight through sunrise which is something that I seldom ever do anymore. I have never enjoyed playing a console game without Aim Assist until I began using this config and now I plan to always play it this way. I now believe that I will disable Aim Assist on any game that offers the option.

I am just going to state that I have reverted back to sync-free [OFF] as it was before the feature was added and that is the way I am going to leave it.. Aim feels closest to how it does with V-Sync disabled. Most of the games use V-Sync but at least my input device doesn't have to be capped and I prefer that type of performance over the other 3 offerings. Lower sync seems to replicate performance nearly identical to lower mouse polling rates and I don't want it to feel that way. The Synchronization feature seems to work well on all 4 settings but the one that you choose will come down to personal preference.

Your feedback is important so don't be shy and leave it all here.

Previous Thread: Laying the Groundwork (Traditional Configuration Crafting)
[TUT] CONFIG CRAFTING PROTOCOL-CHAIN [READ THIS IF SEEKING ASSISTANCE]
https://community.xim.tech/index.php?topic=63962.msg674199#msg674199

So are you saying to play without aim assist? Because in every console game I play when I turn aim assist off I still feel it but it feels worse?

Aim Assist works great by translating this way. Better in fact. So it doesn't matter if you use it or not. Due to the ballistic shift being utilized, this translation method works so much better that AA OFF performance is ridiculously better, as well compared to using the higher multiplier methods. It just feels on-point as it would if playing on PC.

Regarding the AA that you say that you feel even when it is OFF. You're feeling two things. WWII uses snap-to targeting that is always enabled. There is no way to disable it. Even with AA OFF on console shooters or on PC games that do not offer AA at all there is still a bubble around the player that requires a bit of accelerated force to break through in order to maintain tracking. There is also typically a hint of friction within that bubble. It's very subtle but it's there. A sloppier translation will have a much harder time tracking players due to the fact that the bubble is still in-play even when AA is disabled.

Now that's why I'm urging others to try AA-OFF using this translation method because disabling AA will expose the flaws of your config in obvious ways but this type of translation breaks into the AA-OFF bubble like a champ. So well that it feels like AA is still working when you initially make the turn to break into that bubble.. And if it handles AA-OFF so well then AA-ON will not be an issue either but there will be additional slowdown and auto-rotation.

I challenge everyone to setup an additional config using this method and dial itr in nice. Begin with AA-ON Test your snipes and LMGs ARs etc. for a match or two.. You will understand from the very first engagement so long as your sens is not set too high. Now, disable AA and you should still be playing very well.. You shouldn't even need to do this but just for fun.. Once you have the new config dialed in and you have  logged several matches switch back to your old config THEN share your feedback.

I had a custom curve in place but this one nails it on Overwatch . My aim assist and window size are both set at 30. I can still snap on a dime that the mechanics let's us do but while making very minsicule movements on the screen for micro adjusting. Thanks for posting this! Gonna spread this link around.

you are most welcome and thanks for backing my statements. this helps. and this will work for EVERY game because it matches the hardware behavior more appropriately..

So are you using default or slow. You said you updated your original post but it still says default?

Synchronization hasn't been around long enough for me to make a statement such as the one i had left within that update. i'm a genuine individual and having not been satisfied with the amount of test data that had been generated to back it i felt that this was a hollow conclucion. second thoughts led me to believe that i updated prematurely and removed it as i did not want to mislead anyone with information that lacked more rigorous testing. i'm still uncertain if synchronization is truly beneficial or not.. need to continue to test all 4 settings with AA on or off on cod and on a few other games such as Halo, Garden Warfare & BF1 and a few 30Hz games rather thoroughly before i will even consider updating any solid insight in regards to sync because there's other factors to consider such as certain game's that implement internal tick-rates which may differ from framerate among other things at the user-level.

please accept my sincerest apology for the inconvenience.

Stick with Default for now since it's double the refresh @60FPS. i have played enough at this setting to say with confidence that it works very well. I would imagine that COMMON for 30FPS would offer nearly identical performance since it would also refresh at 2x the framerate of the game in use so i would use it in those scenarios.

Currently i'm testing OFF again since i haven't really used No-Sync since i was on official.

I'm pretty sure off in the beta is actually the equivalent of the default Apex experience, not default.

YES. You are correct but I was stating that I have playtested the 120Hz setting with 60FPS titles thoroughly enough to comfortably recommend its usability.

For Beta:

OFF = Original APEX Vanilla FW (NoSync)
DEFAULT = 120cycles/sec
COMMON = 60cycles/sec
SLOW = 30cycles/sec

Please refrain from strapping on your know-it-all glasses and, for example: "attempting to argue over whether or not this is a scrolling line of text" because if you were to do so then that would signify that YOU (A) are a troll , (B) have completely missed the point , or both (A) & (B) ........ ..... ... .. .  The first Fruit Troll-Up might come FREE but I will not feed you another .... ... .. . There simply aren't enough to go around .... .... ... .. .   Furthermore ... .. . I couldn't care less ...... ..... .... ... .. . . . . . This is a waste of everyone's time .... ... .. .. . including YOUR OWN ...... .... ... .. . . .

Don't know if I like the smoothing for Destiny 2.

Offline mjfame

• "Kolibri King" | Global Rank #1
    • View Profile
    • BF1 Kolibri King aka the BabyPistolPro: #1 in the world. (Semi-Retired)
  • Gamertag: MJ FAME (Active)
  • PSN ID: MJ-FAME (Retired)
I just tried this with Battlefield 4 and it absolutely feels better to me. My micro adjustments - such as when using FLIR on a DMR - are much more controlled. I am able to keep on a moving target better and get the multiple shots off for the DMR kill. This is something I've struggled with in the past. I'm going to try PubG next...

Thank you for this! I'm a programmer myself and I'm really curious as to what is going on under the hood here. If you are anywhere near Omaha, drinks are on me! :)

james

For starters if you have ever monitored the behavior of analog stick use by monitoring the percentages in real-time you may have noticed that the behavior is very fluid and performance doesn't break unless it is within the deadzone area. They also JUMP in velocity by larger chunk percentages (15%+) quite a bit since they're being flicked by our thumbs. What's interesting is that they are much more stable throughout micro-movements because they're either ON or OFF but when they're ON they remain they will always remain ACTIVE while outside of the deadzone. A mouse will not. Smoothing helps to make this less of an issue but it doesn't work entirely on its own. Also, a game on PC that natively supports raw mouse input feels more in-line at the low-end and top-end with this ballistic than without it.

Defining a better method basically boiled down to experience through R&D while demonstrating hyper-sensitive attention to detail. and..... this can and will be improved upon or could be easily adapted slightly to suit someone else's needs with a few taps of the finger.

The default 0,0 point of the Vanilla ST wasn't allowing for a smooth enough initial speed unless the overall sens value was lowered to levels that weren't high enough for proper top-end speed. With the goal of correcting this while preserving the original Vanilla ST I opted to increase the default ballistic to 100% at the 10% point so that much lower sensitivity values would be possible to utilize without slowing top-end speeds. It's technically a a vanilla sensitivity shift but I will still consider it a vanilla accelerant  whether it truly is or it isn't because it does stretch the curve and allow a much lower initial speed and a much greater max speed to be used simultaneously. I will continue to classify this as a form of acceleration because it's easy for most people to identify with what that signifies.
XIM APEX // BETA : 20180402
Logitech G Pro // Swift-RX XL // XB1X // Sony GDM-FW900 (CRT) // BenQ RL2455HM (LCD)

"Kolibri King" | Global Rank #1 | 2017.07.27 (10k)

https://battlefieldtracker.com/bf1/leaderboards/all/Kills/weapon/33f9105c-40c7-3980-7982-add4b9f6311a