XIM Community

Does anyone know a good link for ballistic curve explanation.  (Read 1393 times)

Offline SmoegeLord

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: SmoegeLord
Looking for a way to start messing with the conversion for pubg and battlefield 1. I know I can't get true 1/1. But I think I could get it a little bit smoother. Loving my apex hoping blue hole will start allowing players to do there own button mapping on Xbox I read in the roadmap they where going to offer more options fingers crossed they just give the option for it. Would make button binding a lot easier. Any links and suggestions would be great if anyone has already hit the sweet spot that would be even better save me some time. But I still need to learn anyway.

Offline campos3452

• View Profile
  • PSN ID: campos3452
Likewise I too would like a more in-depth ballistics explanation. Overall  Iím enjoying and pleasantly surprised how well the Xim Apex works,but there are many options that I still donít know about how they work. An instruction manual would be great. Iím currently playing BO3 with the Apex and my favorite feature is ADS delay a very excellent feature not found in other adapters that helps a lot with my rushing play style. Smoothing option is also very good as well.

Offline GitGud

• MVP
  • Join the discord! It's where the fun's at!
    • View Profile
My Current Setup + CouchMaster Review | PUBG Config | XIM Apex | Xbox One X |
SteelSeries Rival 600 | SteelSeries Dex | SteelSeries Apex M500 | SteelSeries Siberia 800 | Turtle Beach Stream Mic | CouchMaster Cycon

Offline ceebs

• MVP
  • Captain_Minxley
    • View Profile
  • PSN ID: Captain_Minxley
Check this out http://community.xim.tech/index.php?topic=48616.msg574800#msg574800

Nice find, Kahun. Piiwii's explanation is very good. I remember reading it when I first started playing around with curves. It's quite technical, though. I'd humbly like to add a little bit of more practical understanding to it.

As Piiwii says, your mouseís 1-2-1 relationship between time and distance is what OBsIV and his team create for each game, adjusting the game developers movement mechanics so that each game's Smart Translator (ST) is as close to that graph as possible. Some XIMmers however, prefer to further customise that translation to match how they personally like the movement to feel. The turn, or snapping on to target, may feel too slow or too fast to you, even though the ST is optimised to feel as close to mouse on PC as it is possible to get.

Here are a few basic examples.

If the turn feels a bit too slow, add a little acceleration to the start of the Ballistic Curve graph:

For a really snappy turn, add a lot:

This curve delays the point at which mouse movement is accelerated by several milliseconds:

And this curve speeds up the rate of acceleration:

Deceleration slows down the initial turn:

Page 18 of the XIM4 User Manual also explains how curves work and provides more examples.

You can create unnumbered variations to the ST's behaviour with Ballistic Curves in order to modify mouse behaviour to your personal preference, but applying any curve  will change the Smart Translatorís behaviour and mouse movement may become less predictable, or even unmanageable, so do so with caution.
« Last Edit: 02:05 AM - 05/23/18 by ceebs »
Where's Half-Life 3?

XIM Apex, PS4 Pro, Allreli T9+, Swiftpoint Z, CM Swift-RX XL, Audio Technica ATH AD700, MixAmp Pro, LG 27UD58.

MSI Z97i Gaming AC, Intel Core i5 4690k@4.2GHz, Corsair H100i, EVGA GTX780, 16gb G-Skill RipjawsX@2000MHz, XFX ProSeries (Black Edition) 750w, 3xAerocool Dead Silence, Cooltek W1, 3xSamsung Evo 500 SSD, WD 1TB HDD, Silverstone SST slot-load DVD, KustomPC braided cables.

And if you've read this far, you too are a genuine geek, my friend!

Offline campos3452

• View Profile
  • PSN ID: campos3452
Oh I get it now(maybe?). So the profile download contains the smart translation that adjusts the game dev's intended curve for joypad on console. That way the smart translation allows us to use mouse and keyboard on console. And the ballistics option is for players who would rather change the smart translator to their liking.

Offline ceebs

• MVP
  • Captain_Minxley
    • View Profile
Oh I get it now(maybe?). So the profile download contains the smart translation that adjusts the game dev's intended curve for joypad on console. That way the smart translation allows us to use mouse and keyboard on console. And the ballistics option is for players who would rather change the smart translator to their liking.

You got it.
Where's Half-Life 3?

XIM Apex, PS4 Pro, Allreli T9+, Swiftpoint Z, CM Swift-RX XL, Audio Technica ATH AD700, MixAmp Pro, LG 27UD58.

MSI Z97i Gaming AC, Intel Core i5 4690k@4.2GHz, Corsair H100i, EVGA GTX780, 16gb G-Skill RipjawsX@2000MHz, XFX ProSeries (Black Edition) 750w, 3xAerocool Dead Silence, Cooltek W1, 3xSamsung Evo 500 SSD, WD 1TB HDD, Silverstone SST slot-load DVD, KustomPC braided cables.

Offline Grarrg

• View Profile
Check this out http://community.xim.tech/index.php?topic=48616.msg574800#msg574800

Nice find, Kahun. Piiwii's explanation is very good. I remember reading it when I first started playing around with curves. It's quite technical, though. I'd humbly like to add a little bit of more practical understanding to it.

As Piiwii says, your mouseís 1-2-1 relationship between time and distance is what OBsIV and his team create for each game, adjusting the game developers movement mechanics so that each game's Smart Translator (ST) is as close to that graph as possible. Some XIMmers however, prefer to further customise that translation to match how they personally like the movement to feel. The turn, or snapping on to target, may feel too slow or too fast to you, even though the ST is optimised to feel as close to mouse on PC as it is possible to get.

If the turn feels a bit too slow, add a little acceleration to the start of the Ballistic Curve graph:

This curve delays the point at which mouse movement is accelerated by several milliseconds:

You can create unnumbered variations to the ST's behaviour with Ballistic Curves in order to modify mouse behaviour to your personal preference, but applying any curve  will change the Smart Translatorís behaviour and mouse movement may become less predictable, or even unmanageable, so do so with caution.

These examples have cleared up years of my ignorance.
Thank you.

Offline ceebs

• MVP
  • Captain_Minxley
    • View Profile

These examples have cleared up years of my ignorance.
Thank you.
You're welcome. Hope they help.
Where's Half-Life 3?

Offline mattyb98

• View Profile
I would love to hear your thoughts on which would be best for overwatch a game with a low turn speed limit for example the acceleration curve to keep nice slow micro and small movements then acceleration allowing for faster turns. To clarify this is a fully hip aim based game so the one sensitivity value has to be good enought to pin point shots and also turn quickly as it is a fast paced shooter

Offline ceebs

• MVP
  • Captain_Minxley
    • View Profile
I would love to hear your thoughts on which would be best for overwatch a game with a low turn speed limit for example the acceleration curve to keep nice slow micro and small movements then acceleration allowing for faster turns. To clarify this is a fully hip aim based game so the one sensitivity value has to be good enought to pin point shots and also turn quickly as it is a fast paced shooter

Sorry, but I don't play Overwatch so I can't give you any tips on the best curve for the game. However, antithesis does and he suggests not using a curve at all and, instead, just using Beta Ex1 with Boost 3.
I highly recommend installing the beta EX1 Apex firmware. Adjust your HIP and ADS sensitivity. Set Boost to 3. No curves required.

I played OW for a few hours today to test EX1 and it is crispy, I racked up multiple 20+ streaks on Soldier 76.
Where's Half-Life 3?

Offline mattyb98

• View Profile
Do you know what sync setting boost 3 correlates too i think it might be common but am uncertain

Offline Cyanic

• View Profile

Sorry, but I don't play Overwatch so I can't give you any tips on the best curve for the game. However, antithesis does and he suggests not using a curve at all and, instead, just using Beta Ex1 with Boost 3.
I highly recommend installing the beta EX1 Apex firmware. Adjust your HIP and ADS sensitivity. Set Boost to 3. No curves required.

I played OW for a few hours today to test EX1 and it is crispy, I racked up multiple 20+ streaks on Soldier 76.

How can I use beta ex1

Offline Nataliy

• View Profile
no picture, please update

Offline ceebs

• MVP
  • Captain_Minxley
    • View Profile
no picture, please update
Are you referring to my post? If so, I can still see the images. If not, reply to the forum post by the person that you are addressing by clicking the "Quote" button above their post.
Where's Half-Life 3?

Offline Nataliy

• View Profile