XIM Community

I want to know more about smoothing (Xim Apex)  (Read 221 times)

Offline Enrix

• Per Audacia ad Astra
    • View Profile
  • PSN ID: Enrix79
I want to know more about smoothing (Xim Apex)
« on: 09:04 AM - 03/13/18 »
Hi everyone!
So a few days ago I made a post about smoothing, asking about the right value to use, and I've been told that it's mostly preference.
But I've been trying to change this value recently, without understanding what is going on.
I went from 0 smoothing to 1, and it felt better, then I tried 10, and even 20.
The problem is, I don't feel what is changing about my aim when I change that value.
I don't know the difference between 1, 10 or 20 :(
Could someone try to explain me what does smoothing do, so I can try to find the right value for me?
There is definitely a difference, I just don't understand what's changing!
Thank you!
// Edit
I am using 1000hz and 16k dpi, just for your info
PS4 Pro with SSD | Razer Ornata Chroma | Steelseries Rival 700 | Steelseries QcK Prism | Steelseries Siberia 800 | BenQ XL2420T

XIM APEX and mouse settings guide:
https://community.xim.tech/index.php?topic=66901.0

Offline KonL

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: KonLegend
Re: I want to know more about smoothing (Xim Apex)
« Reply #1 on: 09:28 AM - 03/13/18 »
Smoothing is designed to help stop the jitter feeling that some have when they have high DPI and polling.  I believe OBsiV mentioned that not everyone will have the issue, but he designed it to help for some that do.

It depends on the tv/ monitor you're using I would assume.

If your sensitivity is high and your DPI/Polling is high, some notice that the mouse if very jumpy at minimal movements. Smoothing is supposed to change that so it moves more fluid like instead of jerky.

Someone correct me if I am incorrect

Offline mist4fun

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10:09 AM - 03/13/18 »
Jitter is dependent on the response rate, your mouse polling rate and stability, the game, and personal preference. The amount of smoothing needed to remove jitter will vary because of this as well.

Raising APEX's response rate causes APEX to update more frequently with the console which can improve responsiveness with your game. Smoothing is intended to correct a jitter issue introduced by using a faster response rate. If you're using 1000hz and notice small movements are jittery compared to 125hz then adding smoothing can help smooth these jitters out. How much smoothing will depend on your game, your mouse, and personal preference. Add it in increments of one to determine if it helps and what you prefer.
Have a problem with your XIM4? Find a solution in the XIM4 Support FAQ
XIM4 User Manual   |   XIM Instructional Videos

Offline Enrix

• Per Audacia ad Astra
    • View Profile
  • PSN ID: Enrix79
« Reply #3 on: 11:14 AM - 03/13/18 »
Jitter is dependent on the response rate, your mouse polling rate and stability, the game, and personal preference. The amount of smoothing needed to remove jitter will vary because of this as well.

Raising APEX's response rate causes APEX to update more frequently with the console which can improve responsiveness with your game. Smoothing is intended to correct a jitter issue introduced by using a faster response rate. If you're using 1000hz and notice small movements are jittery compared to 125hz then adding smoothing can help smooth these jitters out. How much smoothing will depend on your game, your mouse, and personal preference. Add it in increments of one to determine if it helps and what you prefer.
OK thank you guys for the replies, but are there negative effects?
Like, what is going to happen if I play with 20 smoothing? Positive or negative effects?
Should I ONLY consider smoothing to correct Jitter? No other reasons at all?
PS4 Pro with SSD | Razer Ornata Chroma | Steelseries Rival 700 | Steelseries QcK Prism | Steelseries Siberia 800 | BenQ XL2420T

XIM APEX and mouse settings guide:
https://community.xim.tech/index.php?topic=66901.0

Offline PixelSquish

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: TahiniMeanie
« Reply #4 on: 11:21 AM - 03/13/18 »

Like, what is going to happen if I play with 20 smoothing? Positive or negative effects?

That's my question too. About negative effects. Just from making a guess I would think that anytime you introduce another layer in between you and mouse movements it could be bad. My take on it is to introduce smoothing ONLY for jitter and in the smallest increments needed. So that's what I'm going back to my configs to do until I hear otherwise.

Offline Maxxgold

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: Maxxgold
  • PSN ID: Maxxgold
« Reply #5 on: 11:28 AM - 03/13/18 »

That's my question too. About negative effects. Just from making a guess I would think that anytime you introduce another layer in between you and mouse movements it could be bad. My take on it is to introduce smoothing ONLY for jitter and in the smallest increments needed. So that's what I'm going back to my configs to do until I hear otherwise.

Yeah, this makes sense. In my situation, I haven't needed to use smoothing at all. I'm still playing around with it though.
[Instructional Videos]
http://xim.tech/instructional-videos/

[HOW TO FIND YOUR PERFECT XIM SENSITIVITY]
http://community.xim.tech/index.php?topic=60845.0

[Xim Apex Manager & Firmware]
http://community.xim.tech/index.php?topic=60725.0

[Console Controller Crossover]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_X_ntzv_zc

(My Current Setup)
-Xim Apex
-G502 set @ 1000Hz Polling and 12,000DPI
-Sony Navigation Controller
-Razer Black Widow Stealth V1 Keyboard (used sparingly)