XIM Community

Best Powered USB Hub For Apex? (power hungry m/ks)  (Read 1357 times)

Offline HughJass

• View Profile
  • PSN ID: Doctor_Butters
Ok so I just bought my Xim Apex and canít wait for it to get here!! In the mean time Iíve been reading up on Xim in general and it seems to struggle with power hungry mice and keyboards.

Which one from amazon should I get? Iíve seen a video where ObSiV said not to use 3.0 usb cables, which doesnít make sense to me. Wouldnít you want the faster speeds? And does the same apply to powered hubs? Most I see are 3.0.. Also which slot should I plug in the hub to? The keyboard or mouse slot?        Iím sure Iíll be able to answer a lot of this myself with continued research, which I will do. But the main question is simply which one to get? Everything else I can manage! Cheers!

(I have an Orbweaver and 16000 dpi Naga Chroma, and yes they have onboard memory, already tested and they keep lighting settings from synapse 2.0. Havenít been able to test the macros yet but Iím sure they will work. Idk why everyone in this community hates on them when they donít know what theyíre talking about. ďRazor doesnít have onboard memory and @#$% sensors blah blah blahĒ

Thanks Iím advance :)

Offline HughJass

• View Profile
Re: Best Powered USB Hub For Apex? (power hungry m/ks)
« Reply #1 on: 06:35 PM - 03/10/18 »
Alright so yes I know you canít use 3.0 hubs. However I still havenít found a recommendation on which 2.0 to get :/ The search continues!

Online mist4fun

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06:49 PM - 03/10/18 »
Welcome to the community. Do you need another hub? APEX's hub supports a power adapter using these specs. Try entering the specs below on Amazon and Ebay.

5V 3A power adapter  ([3.5mm x 1.35mm], center-positive)
Have a problem with your XIM4? Find a solution in the XIM4 Support FAQ
XIM4 User Manual   |   XIM Instructional Videos

Offline HughJass

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04:50 PM - 03/11/18 »
What!?! How did I not know this?? I must have been looking at Xim4 troubleshooting by mistake. A lot of people mentioning separate powered usb hubs that they plug their stuff into then the hub into the Xim (Iím guessing xim 4 didnít have a power port or cable? Or used the consoles power??)

So youíre saying it comes with a port for power I just need the mentioned cable?? Wow you guys really do make it that much better every generation. Cheers. I will keep this thread updated since people seem to have trouble with Razer products. Wish me luck!

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05:28 PM - 03/11/18 »
Personally, I far prefer a powered USB switch. You'll get all the benefits of a powered USB hub, but can also easily swap m/kb from PC to console, or Xim between consoles.

Offline HughJass

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07:56 PM - 03/11/18 »
Very interesting, because Iím planning on getting a pc as soon as gpu prices go down. And not having to re setup my m/kb everyday sounds amazing. Which one do you use if you donít mind me asking?? And thanks for the post in the first place btw!

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 03:14 AM - 03/12/18 »
IOGear GUS404 or GUS402. In some regions they're rebranded as Aten US424 and US224.

I use 2 x GUS404 in my setup.

Offline AeroX

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: IIII AeroX IIII
« Reply #7 on: 08:29 AM - 03/12/18 »
Welcome to the community. Do you need another hub? APEX's hub supports a power adapter using these specs. Try entering the specs below on Amazon and Ebay.

When looking on Amazon UK all that seems to come up is USB to 3.5mm/1.35mm cables.
Would one of these work, if you plug one USB into the Xbox for power alongside the Apex? Or does it need to be from a mains adapter?

Example from Amazon:  https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00CXNMBVI/

Online mist4fun

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 11:15 AM - 03/12/18 »
I wouldn't expect this to meet the amp requirement. Try eBay for more options. If you're not able to find anything you could use a USB 2.0 powered hub instead. Just be sure the hub includes an AC adapter.

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 05:59 PM - 03/12/18 »
Also worth noting, if you do go with a USB switch, you need to plug it into the Apex hub, not direct into the Apex.

Reason being is the controller needs to remain on the Apex USB hub for authentication. Otherwise you'll get disconnects when switching from PC to Xim.

Offline AeroX

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: IIII AeroX IIII
« Reply #10 on: 11:29 AM - 03/20/18 »
Just thought I'd post back with what I got in the end.  I found it difficult to find any power adapters which where 5V and 3A in the UK; most are only 2.5 amps.  I did, however, find out that some netbooks use 5V 4A chargers.

One which I found is a Lenovo Ideapad 100S 11.6" power adapter, which I've bought myself and works perfectly with the Xim Hub.

The Lenovo power adapter is 5v 4A and the same size (3.5mm/1.35mm) and polarity (centre positive), being 4A rather then 3A shouldn't hurt as devices will only pull as much as they need.  Being that the charger is designed for a netbook, the cable is a good length (slightly longer then my Xbox One X's power lead, so reaches with ease).

Here is a link to one from Amazon:  https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B071FR6DBJ

Just to clarify, it's the 100S 11.6-inch model, not the 14-inch model (which uses higher voltage).

Offline Lukasz

• View Profile
  • PSN ID: boloMALAN
« Reply #11 on: 08:57 AM - 03/21/18 »
Just thought I'd post back with what I got in the end.  I found it difficult to find any power adapters which where 5V and 3A in the UK; most are only 2.5 amps.  I did, however, find out that some netbooks use 5V 4A chargers.

One which I found is a Lenovo Ideapad 100S 11.6" power adapter, which I've bought myself and works perfectly with the Xim Hub.

The Lenovo power adapter is 5v 4A and the same size (3.5mm/1.35mm) and polarity (centre positive), being 4A rather then 3A shouldn't hurt as devices will only pull as much as they need.  Being that the charger is designed for a netbook, the cable is a good length (slightly longer then my Xbox One X's power lead, so reaches with ease).

Here is a link to one from Amazon:  https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B071FR6DBJ

Just to clarify, it's the 100S 11.6-inch model, not the 14-inch model (which uses higher voltage).

Thank you for sharing this, would be great if someone could confirm that it's safe to use this power adapter with Apex :)

Offline mjfame

• "Kolibri King" | Global Rank #1
    • View Profile
    • BF1 Kolibri King aka the BabyPistolPro: #1 in the world. (Semi-Retired)
  • Gamertag: MJ FAME (Active)
  • PSN ID: MJ-FAME (Retired)
« Reply #12 on: 05:34 AM - 04/20/18 »
being 4A rather then 3A shouldn't hurt as devices will only pull as much as they need. 

Correct
XIM APEX // BETA : 20180402
Logitech G Pro // Swift-RX XL // XB1X // Sony GDM-FW900 (CRT) // BenQ RL2455HM (LCD)

"Kolibri King" | Global Rank #1 | 2017.07.27 (10k)

https://battlefieldtracker.com/bf1/leaderboards/all/Kills/weapon/33f9105c-40c7-3980-7982-add4b9f6311a

Offline supermanpug

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 12:31 PM - 05/10/18 »

So the little hole in the back of the xim apex hud is for a power supply aka specs you mentioned and if I buy this power supply I just plug it in that tiney hole in back and it thatís it? Jesus if thatís the case I wish I knew this before purchasing xim apex like I have xim 4 love it thought it would work the same wish I bought power cord with it instead of having to wait lol

1 item shows up when I copy paste those specs

Hopefully while I wait for it to arrive somebody can confirm that yes the little hole in the back is for power and the cord I am linking will work.

atolla US standard adaptor External Power Supply 15W ( 5V/3A) AC / DC Adapter for USB Hub, 3.5 x 1.35 mm plug center positive https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DPCPAQS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_B8i9AbPCHDAZP

Online mist4fun

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 01:34 PM - 05/10/18 »
Yes, that's for power and the adapter you chose does look like it meets spec. Good luck! Hopefully it helps.