XIM Community

My experience with the Razer Basilisk gaming mouse.  (Read 661 times)

Offline mjfame

• RC Tester
  • "Kolibri King" | Global Rank #1
    • View Profile
    • BF1 Kolibri King aka the BabyPistolPro: #1 in the world. (Semi-Retired)
  • Gamertag: MJ FAME (Active)
  • PSN ID: MJ-FAME (Retired)
after transitioning from a Razer Mamba mouse to the Basilisk for several months then acquiring a Deathadder Elite which uses the same form factor as the Mamba but has the same sensor as the Basilisk, i honestly believe the Basilisk is better for so many different reasons.

the Basilisk does weigh in at 107g which is a bit heavy for an FPS mouse but it's balanced properly and also has a 3rd teflon mouse skate that helps provide a silky smooth glide. these 2 reasons plus the outer shell with ribbed rubber thumbguard gives an extremely premium feel that i have never gotten from any other mouse. the top of the left and right sides curve outwards just enough to ensure that the mouse doesn't slip away from you during lift-off.

i used to love the Mamba shape but I have recently converted from a high DPI & sens player to a low DPI and sens player. especially, on low sens this mouse always feels snappy and pinpoint when changing arm speeds during tracking and for split-second correctional adjustments and i didn't experience that same level of precision from my new Deathadder Elite.

the form factor is ergo but works in palm , claw , fingertip or just about any hybrid gripstyle. the Basilisk is equipped with a remappable DPI clutch paddle and is packaged with 2 different lengthed pieces. the mouse wheel tension is adjustable and this affects the center of gravity which i believe to be unintentional but i find myself adjusting scroll-wheel tension specifically for changing weight distribution depending on the scenario at hand.

DPI ranges from 100 to 16,000 and may be adjusted in increments of 50. the 2 DPI-step buttons on the top of the mouse are also remappable.

on-board memory allows profiles to be stored for DPI and custom button assignments so that custom settings may be used without the use of extra software or drivers running alongside.

not trying to force this on anyone but after several months of heavy use decided to provide a brief review that isn't exactly like the rest for you all.

I highly recommend giving the Basilisk a shot and pairing it up with a high quality cloth speedpad *especially if you are a low sens player.

Amazon Links [USA]:

Razer Basilisk Gaming Mouse
https://www.amazon.com/Razer-Basilisk-Comfortable-Customizable-Resistance/dp/B0752VK4XV/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1520488666&sr=8-1&keywords=basilisk+razer

Cooler Master SGS-4140-KXXL1 Swift-RX XL Gaming Mouse Pad
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00WXMID02/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Razer Goliathus[ (Speed) - Extended Gaming Mouse Pad/b]
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LWL80R2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

i will be purchasing a Zowie FK2 in the near-future because i prefer to have options. will update afterward.

*Edit*

My only gripe with the basilisk is that the two side thumb buttons are too small. I like the mouse otherwise.

i completely understand.. i felt the same way at first after coming from the DA form factor. they protrude just enough and have a slight angle on the lower corner to allow actuation by gently nudging thumb upward from underneath so i've gotten used to them. the thought never even crossed my mind while reviewing this mouse but this may be a concern for others. thanks for your input.

Thanks for the detailed review. Iíve kind of had my eye on this mouse for a while and your overview was certainly helpful. I seem to have a mouse buying obsession .

Kind regards

you're welcome.

It is a really good mouse. Just be aware in order to properly use it with the xim you will need the Synapse 3.0 software which is only available on a PC.

You need Synapse3 to configure the Basilisk and to store your settings to the onboard memory. For example, I run Synapse3 to change a config then save to the mouse then > quit Synapse3 and close all services. I run it without Synapse3 running on PC and run it standalone (PC-free) with the Xim Apex with all important settings (dpi , button mapping) retained.

There are 4 on-board memory slots that are swappable by using the recessed button on the underside of the mouse. There is a light underneath that changes color according to the profile that is currently active. Colors are red, green, blue, cyan. These 4 profiles will only work in 500Hz mode without Synapse3, however, there is a 5th profile  that uses color white when running Synapse3 and whatever settings were in use when closing Synapse3 will be retained on the white memory slot. This includes polling rate so this slot  makes it possible to retain 1000Hz polling rate as well.

Chroma color settings are not storable to the memory so you may either use rainbow Spectrum lighting or disable it, altogether. I do not believe that surface mat calibration is stored, either.

My PC-Free Basilisk config for XIM Apex is configured for 16,000DPI @1000Hz with DPI clutch remapped to a keystroke and the  two on-the-fly DPI buttons also mapped to keystrokes providing 1 extra side button for a total of 3 and two extra top buttons for a total of 5 so 8 fully mappable buttons for use with XIM.

Hope that was informative enough for you.

Thatís really good to know. I didnít know that the white profile is the only one to save with 1000Hz.

I verify the on-board profile polling rate by using this link:

https://zowie.benq.com/en/support/mouse-rate-checker.html
« Last Edit: 12:02 AM - 03/08/18 by mjfame »
XIM APEX // BETA : 20180402
Logitech G Pro // Swift-RX XL // XB1X // BenQ RL2455HM (LCD) // Sony GDM-FW900 (CRT)

"Kolibri King" | Global Rank #1 | 2017.07.27 (10k)

https://battlefieldtracker.com/bf1/leaderboards/all/Kills/weapon/33f9105c-40c7-3980-7982-add4b9f6311a

Offline Balor1712

• View Profile
Re: My experience with the Razer Basilisk gaming mouse.
« Reply #1 on: 06:54 AM - 03/06/18 »
My only gripe with the basilisk is that the two side thumb buttons are too small. I like the mouse otherwise.

Offline ims

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: victermizer
  • PSN ID: imsfuji
« Reply #2 on: 02:06 PM - 03/07/18 »
Thanks for the detailed review. Iíve kind of had my eye on this mouse for a while and your overview was certainly helpful. I seem to have a mouse buying obsession .

Kind regards
Long live the Royal Free Hospital School of Medicine

Offline Balor1712

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02:59 PM - 03/07/18 »

Kind regards
It is a really good mouse. Just be aware in order to properly use it with the xim you will need the Synapse 3.0 software which is only available on a PC.

Offline mjfame

• RC Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08:39 PM - 03/07/18 »
Thanks for the detailed review. I’ve kind of had my eye on this mouse for a while and your overview was certainly helpful. I seem to have a mouse buying obsession .

Kind regards

you're welcome.

You need Synapse3 to configure the Basilisk and to store your settings to the onboard memory. For example, I run Synapse3 to change a config then save to the mouse then > quit Synapse3 and close all services. I run it without Synapse3 running on PC and run it standalone (PC-free) with the Xim Apex with all important settings (dpi , button mapping) retained.

There are 4 on-board memory slots that are swappable by using the recessed button on the underside of the mouse. There is a light underneath that changes color according to the profile that is currently active. Colors are red, green, blue, cyan. These 4 profiles will only work in 500Hz mode without Synapse3, however, there is a 5th profile  that uses color white when running Synapse3 and whatever settings were in use when closing Synapse3 will be retained on the white memory slot. This includes polling rate so this slot  makes it possible to retain 1000Hz polling rate as well.

Chroma color settings are not storable to the memory so you may either use rainbow Spectrum lighting or disable it, altogether. I do not believe that surface mat calibration is stored, either.

My PC-Free Basilisk config for XIM Apex is configured for 16,000DPI @1000Hz with DPI clutch remapped to a keystroke and the  two on-the-fly DPI buttons also mapped to keystrokes providing 1 extra side button for a total of 3 and two extra top buttons for a total of 5 so 8 fully mappable buttons for use with XIM.

Hope that was informative enough for you.
« Last Edit: 09:04 PM - 03/07/18 by mjfame »
Logitech G Pro // Swift-RX XL // XB1X // BenQ RL2455HM (LCD) // Sony GDM-FW900 (CRT)

https://battlefieldtracker.com/bf1/leaderboards/all/Kills/weapon/33f9105c-40c7-3980-7982-add4b9f6311a

Offline Balor1712

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10:46 PM - 03/07/18 »
Thatís really good to know. I didnít know that the white profile is the only one to save with 1000Hz.

Offline mjfame

• RC Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11:57 PM - 03/07/18 »

I verify the on-board profile polling rate by using this link:

https://zowie.benq.com/en/support/mouse-rate-checker.html

Offline Superb

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 07:11 AM - 03/09/18 »
Basilisk user here as well. Only got into XIM in the last few months or so, so it's the only mouse I've ever used with XIM. I love the Basilisk, weight is perfect, size is perfect for us large handed folks and it's really easy to manipulate.

Xbox One X - PlayStation 4 Pro - Astro A40 - Xbox Elite Controller - Xim Apex - Razer Basilisk - Razer DeathStalker Keyboard - Razer Goliathus Speed Terra

Offline Balor1712

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 01:35 PM - 03/09/18 »
Iím going to set up my basilisk again tonight and see how it is with the apex vs my g502.

Offline Maxxgold

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: Maxxgold
  • PSN ID: Maxxgold
« Reply #9 on: 06:19 PM - 03/09/18 »
Iím going to set up my basilisk again tonight and see how it is with the apex vs my g502.

I would be interested to know what you think, so post back : )
[Instructional Videos]
http://xim.tech/instructional-videos/

[HOW TO FIND YOUR PERFECT XIM SENSITIVITY]
http://community.xim.tech/index.php?topic=60845.0

[Xim Apex Manager & Firmware]
http://community.xim.tech/index.php?topic=60725.0

[Console Controller Crossover]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_X_ntzv_zc

(My Current Setup)
-Xim Apex
-G502 set @ 1000Hz Polling and 12,000DPI
-Sony Navigation Controller
-Razer Black Widow Stealth V1 Keyboard (used sparingly)

Offline mjfame

• RC Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 06:33 PM - 03/09/18 »
Basilisk user here as well. Only got into XIM in the last few months or so, so it's the only mouse I've ever used with XIM. I love the Basilisk, weight is perfect, size is perfect for us large handed folks and it's really easy to manipulate.

what's crazy is the fact that you can palm it claw it fingertip it. everything works which is impressive.

don't have experience with the G502 but I know that the Basilisk version of the sensor begins adding quite a bit of smoothing beyond 1800dpi and G502 does not, apparently so G502 wins in that department, for sure. luckily i have no desire to use high dpi so it's a wash for me at least. for others not so much.

I would be interested to know what you think, so post back : )

ditto

Offline Balor1712

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 04:08 PM - 03/10/18 »
After playing with the basilisk at 12k, 1000 polling I probably prefer it to the g502 only because it is a lighter weight. My g502 doesnít quite stay at a stable 1000Hz while the basilisk does.
My mistake on the basiliskís forward and backward buttons being too small. They arenít too small. But the backward button is too long and takes up too much of the basiliskís side. I many times have hit it instead of forward. So it may be a problem with smaller hands or someone who likes to hit the forward button with more of their middle thumb than distal thumb. 
So while I prefer the basilisk over the g502 is isnít a great difference and not worth buying one over the other if you already own one of them.

Offline Dodge

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: RheinlandFluch
  • PSN ID: Malarn71
« Reply #12 on: 04:52 PM - 03/12/18 »
Tested the Basilisk for 3 days.I perform better with a mouse under 100 grams.Same with the Lancehead TE.So back to the Roccat Kone Pure OwlEye and Zowie FK1+.
I have an eye on the Rival 600.
PS4 Pro & XB1 X |Mon: BenQ RL2455HM | Pad: SS Dex| KB: G910| HS: Sennheiser GSP 350| M: Rival 600 DPI: 4000| P: 1000hz | Sync. Off