XIM Community

Can XIM Elevate My Play?  (Read 1154 times)

Offline Potential

• View Profile
Can XIM Elevate My Play?
« on: 12:19 PM - 02/14/18 »
For a lifelong console / controller player, is it unreasonable to expect improvements in my FPS play level (mostly PUBG) by switching to a XIM product utilizing mouse and keyboard? I'm comfortable on a mouse and keyboard as I've played stints of heavy MMORPGs but never FPS on PC.

I'm confident I can pick up the M/KB play but wanted to collect opinions if the XIM is right for me in my thoughts of elevating my play. Or if reasons such as it being locked to the particular games sensitivity limits, the benefit isn't worth the effort to switch from controller to M/KB and that this is more for players who were always accustomed to M/KB?

Offline mist4fun

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
Re: Can XIM Elevate My Play?
« Reply #1 on: 12:31 PM - 02/14/18 »
It's possible but I wouldn't buy a XIM expecting it to make you a better player. Using a mouse is arguably more accurate than using a controller but it really comes down to how good you will adapt to using a mouse and how good of a player you are.
Have a problem with your XIM4? Find a solution in the XIM4 Support FAQ
XIM4 User Manual   |   XIM Instructional Videos

Offline DieInputLag

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01:05 PM - 02/14/18 »
Depends. What sensitivity do you use when playing shooters? The XIM will most likely allow you to use a higher sensitivity than you felt comfortable with, using a controller. So maybe being able to survey your surroundings a little quicker may help.

Personally, I have been gaming on console for 15 years. Have always used the highest sensitivity in every shooter, so the performance gain I got was minimal, but overall, I don't think I am subjectively better, but maybe slightly more accurate on average.

Example. My K/D has not changed much. I play a lot of CoD. Possible that XIM has provided me with 5-10 % increase in K/D.

Offline alanmcgregor

• View Profile
  • PSN ID: alanmcgamer
« Reply #3 on: 01:14 PM - 02/14/18 »
You have to try it, to figured out.

Even though aiming with a mouse is more efficient and natural, still you have to develop muscle memory and eye-hand coordination to be really proficient, takes time. On PC is more directly and easy to develop. On XIM we have to deal with some limitations, tinker a little bit but is possible.

Is all about control, anything that makes you move as you wish, aim as fast as you can, be consistent it will give you a better chance, but at the end the only thing can elevate your play is how you play.

Now, I think you have PUBG in mind.

Don't bother... is a god awful terrible port, we as players shouldn't encourage companies to deliver such a messy and unfinish/polish game.

If you like the style of the game and test how well you can play with M&KB, go Fortnite; save some bucks and have fun.
XIM4
Console: PS4 Pro
Monitor: ASUS VG245H 24" - Audio: Astro A40 TR MixAmp
Devices: Razer Orbweaver - Mice: Tt esports Ventus R - G203 cable mod - Kingston HyperX Fury L pad
InGame sensitivity: Low, 46cm 360
Games: StarWars Battlefront II, Battlefield 1, Overwatch, Fortnite BR

Offline Seng88

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: Sengbang88
« Reply #4 on: 01:23 PM - 02/14/18 »
I'm in the same boat as you my friend..been playing video games with a controller since the early 90s..i just recently bought a M&K patiently waiting for XIM APEX to release. My opinion, you just can not stop on a dime with a controller joystick as you can with a mouse. It's just way More accurate to aim with a mouse than a controller. The exact moment you move the joystick back to center to stop your crosshairs from moving is the difference maker...using your whole hand/wrist/elbow/shoulder to aim rather than just your thumb..so yes I believe it will elevate your game play as I believe it will for me too.

Best of luck
My Current Setup

Xbox One X | LG 27UD68 | Steel Series Rival 600 | Corsair K95 RGB Platinum KB | Reflex Lab XXL mouse pad | Turtle Beach 700 Stealth | Xbox Elite Controller | Secret Labs Omega Chair |

Offline Silentblack

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: Silentblack00
« Reply #5 on: 01:47 PM - 02/14/18 »
Now, I think you have PUBG in mind.

Don't bother... is a god awful terrible port, we as players shouldn't encourage companies to deliver such a messy and unfinish/polish game.

If you like the style of the game and test how well you can play with M&KB, go Fortnite; save some bucks and have fun.

This makes me laugh! The game is still in early access.

Offline JT Jenkins

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02:01 PM - 02/14/18 »
I'm a long time console player who switched to XIM a little over a year ago, and I play mostly Battlefield. The only time I feel XIM gives me an edge is in close quarters firefights where I have to turn on a dime and be accurate. Overall, I'd say my stats are roughly the same now as my best when I was on console, perhaps a little better. So while I think it can elevate your play, I don't believe it dramatically elevates it. My primary benefit is it made my right thumb tendinitis go away, which got really bad after long play sessions on controller. 

And when you first start on XIM coming from the console side, be ready for a steep learning curve. I honestly sucked on XIM/KBM for months until I got used to it.

Offline Potential

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 02:46 PM - 02/14/18 »
Thank you for your responses! I play on near max sensitivity with controllers, I understand PUBG doesn't have a very high sensitivity cap so I'd imagine that would limit part of the M/KB benefit?

I was really hoping the precision potential existed but as some of you mentioned there's a steep learning curve for a potentially small benefit. Fortunately the Apex is priced well, I'm for whatever reason intrigued by different input devices.   

Offline JT Jenkins

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 02:58 PM - 02/14/18 »
Overall, I'd definitely say the XIM is worth it, the only thing I really miss when on the XIM is the laid back couch playing style you get on controller. I still get that though since I simply don't use XIM for my non-FPS games.

Offline Zen

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 03:13 PM - 02/14/18 »
I got my brother a xim4. He used it for a bit and then went back to controller which he's better on. I'm sure he could of got decent with it but he grew up in controllers. And just prefers the feel.

It's not for everyone but it's pretty low risk to try it out

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 03:30 PM - 02/14/18 »
Xim Apex is worth it, PUBG on console is not.

Offline full58

• The opposite of empty
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 01:42 AM - 02/15/18 »
last I checked you are the one who plays the gsme. not the input device

Offline Kahun

• Join the discord! It's where the fun's at!
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: Kahuns
« Reply #12 on: 10:56 AM - 02/15/18 »
Overall, I'd definitely say the XIM is worth it, the only thing I really miss when on the XIM is the laid back couch playing style you get on controller. I still get that though since I simply don't use XIM for my non-FPS games.

Consider a CouchMaster  ;)
My Current Setup + CouchMaster Review
SteelSeries Rival 600 | SteelSeries Dex | SteelSeries Apex 300 | SteelSeries Siberia 800 | CouchMaster Cycon

Offline JT Jenkins

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 01:09 PM - 02/15/18 »
Consider a CouchMaster  ;)

I did not know about this thing, looks pretty nice!!

Offline Web-head

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • PSN ID: Spidey
« Reply #14 on: 04:57 PM - 02/15/18 »
That depends entirely on you.