XIM Community

Thinking about buy apex will it be locked out of new console like edge?  (Read 173 times)

Offline UnRyValD

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: UnRyValD
  • PSN ID: Judea33
If the new consoles are released next year or 2020 will by apex be obsolete?

"Ouch, That hurt!" yo face

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
It's impossible to know without a time machine.

Xim supports 360, XB1, PS3 and PS4, along with all hardware revisions thereof. Unless something significant happens to change the way Sony & MS controllers communicate with consoles, there's a very high chance that Apex will work.

Offline Zen

• MVP
    • View Profile
As above. Part of the marketing of new consoles is allowing a smooth transition for people with the current systems. That means things like current controllers working. However no one can say for sure.

Offline UnRyValD

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: UnRyValD
  • PSN ID: Judea33
Could xim edge been upgraded to run on new consoles when they released? I seem to remember that it could have been but it wasn't. I may be remembering wrong.  I'm not even saying it should have. Its your business and business model but I would like to know if you will be doing the same with apex.

"Ouch, That hurt!" yo face

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
Both MS and Sony have more or less stated that console generations are dead. Anything from the PS4 and XB1 on will likely be incremental upgrades, mostly because technology has slowed and there are no generational leaps in performance anymore.

That's a very different situation from Edge where the architecture of the consoles changed dramatically, to the point where Sony couldn't offer backwards-compatibility and MS didn't announce it until 3 years into the console life-cycle.

Chances are the Apex will still be going strong and you have nothing to worry about. Given the $99 price point of the Apex and that in the worst case scenario, you're likely to get at least 2-3 years out of it before the next console iteration, I reckon that's a small price to pay to use m/kb on console.