XIM Community

Whats up with the obsession of 1 vs 100 games?  (Read 281 times)

Offline havoxxx

• MVP
    • View Profile
Whats up with the obsession of 1 vs 100 games?
« on: 06:04 PM - 02/09/18 »
I find fortnite and pubg very bad games.. How does one actually like such a series? I have been gaming sense 2001 and when i played both of these games for about 4 hours each, both games are just... Meh. I won 3 games in solo of pubg, and my first game of fortnite but both of these games feel like disappointments to me for the future of games. After the success of both of these games, many big hit series are going to attempt to make something such as the whole battle royale system.

I dont know.. What is your opinion on 1 vs 100 games? 

Offline Bertuzzi1616

• MVP
    • View Profile
Re: Whats up with the obsession of 1 vs 100 games?
« Reply #1 on: 06:19 PM - 02/09/18 »
Ton of fun. I'd welcome a battlefield battle royale game mode

Offline colb

• MVP
  • The Global Elite
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: mynameiscolb
« Reply #2 on: 08:38 PM - 02/09/18 »
The concept is simple: survive. If you die you're out. There's squad variations of the same nature (25 teams of 4 players, for 100 total). The rapidly changing play zone can create tense situations where you are left with no cover and on the run. There are intense firefights between multiple squads.

Either you haven't truly experienced the game (possibly because XBOX version of PUBG is worse than a PS2 game) or because it's just not your cup of tea. It's not meant to be fun for everyone. I love it. I just hate Bluehole Corp, because they are terrible at executing basic game design concepts.

Offline Microsoft Master Race

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09:33 AM - 02/11/18 »
Well considering the original "Battle Royale" film is already a cult classic and American style remakes like "Hungar Games" were super popular it's no surprise a properly made game on that premise of survive+random variables (bomb zone, blue zone) is doing so well. By "properly made" I mean the PC version. Also there is the fact that the game isn't for everyone.

Also have to consider the Twitch aspect of these sorts of games. Idk if PUBG is a fad but last year when PUBG only was at 2 or 3 million sold the top streamers were pushing the games visibility to the forefront of gamers subconscious. Whether it was intentional or accidental PUBG became one of those games that you wanted to buy to see what the fuss was all about. It has snowballed it's way to almost 30 million sold. I for one enjoy watching it more than playing it due to the RNG nature of the game so it will never be a skill based game like CS:GO which steers me away from playing it is but still is entertaining to watch.

I for one hope it isn't a fad but I am under no illusion that similar type games in the past have died off quicker than their rise. I know for a fact that better known developers are in the lab cooking up their own version of battle royale mode in their games (Rockstar, DICE, etc) and will bet money that they refine the "premise" that Bluehole stole from the original film. At the very moment Bluehole is the very large fish in a small pond but once those other developers start to flex their muscles when it comes to refinement then you will see the true potential of that particular game mode. That's what I am waiting for personally.

Just enjoy that something different is dominating the gaming space at the moment when it comes to popularity.