XIM Community

USB hubs  (Read 149 times)

Offline nvirgen686

• View Profile
USB hubs
« on: 02:26 PM - 02/06/18 »
Hello All,

Just picked up a Xim4, and planning to configure a USB hub to lower the clutter. Anyone happen the be using the hub below without issues?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MXXQKGM/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I34I1VUYGM3VU8&colid=ZACKCSZY2LY2&psc=0

I happen to already have this, which is why I'm asking. If not, would love to hear other hubs you all might be using without problems. Thanks in advance!

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
Re: USB hubs
« Reply #1 on: 04:27 PM - 02/06/18 »
Most hubs will work. Just note that a hub usually isn't needed, unless using a power-hungry mouse or keyboard. Corsair and Razer are the usual suspects here.

Instead of a USB hub, I recommend an IOGear GUS204 or Aten US224 USB Switch (same thing, different sticker), especially in multi-console or PC + console setups.

Plug m/kb into the USB switch, then the switch outputs to your consoles & PC (one USB cable to each). Leave the controller connected to the  Xim.

The IOGear/Aten switch comes with a 5V USB port on the front that you can run to a wall socket via a spare USB phone charger, which takes care of power requirements.

Furthermore, if you also have a Titan One, Titan Two or CronusMax paired up with a Xim, you can use the USB switch to get around boot-up issues on the XB1. Plugging a Xim into a Titan or CM on a powered-up XB1 won't work and it can be frustrating to work out the right boot-up process.

With a USB switch in the mix, all you do is toggle the switch from the XB1 and all the way back again (4 button presses) and the console will now detect the controller setup correctly.

I have two IOGear GUS404s in my setup and they've done their job flawlessly for years.