XIM Community

Sony Nav Alternatives  (Read 711 times)

Offline Mark8010

• View Profile
Re: Sony Nav Alternatives
« Reply #15 on: 02:11 AM - 08/10/18 »
Count me in, a NAV alternative with more accessible buttons is an easy buy for me.

Offline MRog40

• MVP
  • FPS games are 10% Aim and 90% positioning
    • View Profile
  • PSN ID: MRog40
« Reply #16 on: 07:41 AM - 08/10/18 »
If you guys paid shipping (UK and AUS guy) I would have no problem shipping it there.
Xim Apex | PS4 | PC | G502 | Corsair K65 LUX RGB | C24FG70 | Astro A40 TR | QcK XXL

Offline DeanCR7

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 03:42 PM - 08/10/18 »
How is g13 with mod stick is it comfortable? I bought sony nav but he is not comfortable i have razer orbweaver but i wanted to try how it is with analog motion and aim assist is much better than digital movement

Offline sean1

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: a sittingduck73
  • PSN ID: A-sittingduck
« Reply #18 on: 08:03 PM - 08/10/18 »
If you guys paid shipping (UK and AUS guy) I would have no problem shipping it there.

If the costs are not too ridiculous then I'll have no problem, have you any idea on the style and button layout?

Offline MRog40

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 03:46 PM - 08/11/18 »
Like I said, I'd make it exactly like an Xbox 360 controller, just the left half, and have buttons on the back where you fingers wrap around. I added up some more numbers, and thought more about the time I'd put into it, and realized it wouldn't be feasible at the price I said previously. For now I'm going to bench this project as I'm really busy atm, moving back to school and such. Maybe in a couple weeks I could run a mini-kickstarter on this forum of some kind.
Xim Apex | PS4 | PC | G502 | Corsair K65 LUX RGB | C24FG70 | Astro A40 TR | QcK XXL

Offline PcSkeng

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 04:57 PM - 08/11/18 »
Like I said, I'd make it exactly like an Xbox 360 controller, just the left half, and have buttons on the back where you fingers wrap around. I added up some more numbers, and thought more about the time I'd put into it, and realized it wouldn't be feasible at the price I said previously. For now I'm going to bench this project as I'm really busy atm, moving back to school and such. Maybe in a couple weeks I could run a mini-kickstarter on this forum of some kind.

Aye, I wouldn’t mind being a sponsor and wouldn’t mind getting a free controller and you know  ;D wouldn’t mind aye
| Xim Apex ~ Logitech G502 ~ Corsair K70 Lux RGB Cherry MX Brown ~ Sony Nav ~ SteelSeries Dex ~ Astro A40 TR + TR MixAmp ~ PlayStation 4 |

Offline M_A_D_20

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 06:08 PM - 08/11/18 »

Having buttons on the back is every nunchuck users wet dream, will be interesting to see how that would work out.

With a ps4/xbox controller, your using both hands so that the controller is resting rather than gripped so using paddles is easy. With a nunchuck, I notice I was actually having to grip it to be able to use the analog and sometimes with more pressure at times.

I don't own an Xbox so I don't know what the shape of the controller is like compared to the ps4 controller when held.. but how doable is it to have a nunchuck that you can grip comfortably with somewhat pressure and have the buttons basically at a finger tips reach? I mean I don't know if it is just me but when I used the Sony Nav my fingers was pretty much locked in position on the back

Offline MRog40

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 08:31 PM - 08/11/18 »
With a ps4/xbox controller, your using both hands so that the controller is resting rather than gripped so using paddles is easy. With a nunchuck, I notice I was actually having to grip it to be able to use the analog and sometimes with more pressure at times.

I don't own an Xbox so I don't know what the shape of the controller is like compared to the ps4 controller when held.. but how doable is it to have a nunchuck that you can grip comfortably with somewhat pressure and have the buttons basically at a finger tips reach? I mean I don't know if it is just me but when I used the Sony Nav my fingers was pretty much locked in position on the back
I actually have been thinking of this. That was one of the most annoying things when I used a nav - when gripping it so hard to use the thing, eventually my hand would cramp up. When pushing buttons on the controller, the other hand stabilizes it, and when using something like an orbweaver, the table holds it. I thought a great solution would be some sort of hand mounted device, and no not a glove, but a strap that just goes around your palm. If you've ever seen a loopy phone case, something kind of like that but on a nunchuck so that you can use it without needing to grip it tightly.

I know I have the technical skills to do build it, but I need to make sure I have the time, the production ability, and enough interest first. This thread isn't really the place for continued discussion. I have one open week before school starts, and I'm going to work on getting some 3d models of what I have envisioned, a better parts list, cost estimates, shipping estimates, and hopefully start looking towards maybe taking orders and seeing productions.

Offline BigBen

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 02:42 AM - 08/12/18 »
Count me in too!

Would be great if you succeed.

Offline Mark8010

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 04:30 AM - 08/12/18 »
I'd happily help fund a kickstarter, I think any NAV user would hugely benefit from this proposal, should be a big enough market for it.

I think the ergonomics / grip together with button layout is going to a tough challenge to get right. I put an extra button on a NAV, so using pinky and ring finger to grip, leaving middle finger for extra button(s), forefinger for trigger/jump buttons and thumb for analogue stick. Problem I found with this on the current NAV is the trigger/jump buttons need to be smaller (and trigger to not have such a large deadzone/travel time) for it to be comfortable and viable - hand size likely plays a role in this too.

One good thing I find with the NAV is the d-pad being so close to the analogue stick means I can press d-pad up with part of my thumb without taking it off the analogue stick.

I also use a joy-con and the benefit that has is the trigger + jump button are much better positioned relative to the analogue stick, but joy-con extra buttons position plus the overall grip + comfort are poor.

Offline MRog40

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 02:00 AM - 08/13/18 »
I think the ergonomics / grip together with button layout is going to a tough challenge to get right. I put an extra button on a NAV, so using pinky and ring finger to grip, leaving middle finger for extra button(s), forefinger for trigger/jump buttons and thumb for analogue stick. Problem I found with this on the current NAV is the trigger/jump buttons need to be smaller (and trigger to not have such a large deadzone/travel time) for it to be comfortable and viable - hand size likely plays a role in this too.
For trigger deadzone, I opened up my nav and added a small folded up piece of paper behind the trigger to reduce the deadzone. It worked very well, but eventually I just got so tired of holding that controller and wanted more buttons.

You listed the biggest issue with my design plan - hand size. It is impossible to produce something that works for everyone in terms of hand size. I happen to be freakishly tall, and with that, have freakishly large hands. Like can palm basketballs out of a dribble with ease large hands. I want a controller that is comfortable for myself, but also for other people, which is a challenge.

Online B6

• View Profile
  • PSN ID: B6555444445
« Reply #26 on: Today at 07:21 PM »
I would be happy to help. My navs are a bit worn out lol.