XIM Community

Nerfed Overwatch SR for Xim Posters  (Read 393 times)

Offline A Big Ol Bully

• View Profile
Nerfed Overwatch SR for Xim Posters
« on: 10:32 AM - 01/11/18 »
So I've have this feeling that something was off with my placement and SR on Overwatch.
At first I didn't want to say anything because I didn't want to complain but then I remembered I have a masters in a scientific field and I know how to keep stats and check, so I did.
I created 1 new Smurf account, already had one and have my main account. (YES, I know a LOT goes into your secret SR but hear me out)
After QP 10 games with each* (same time of day 9am-11am PST) over 3 days and I mixed my sample

New Smurf account: Level 6
Median SR: 2200 (makes sense new account)
Median QP Level: 215

Older Smurf Account: Level 211
Median SR: 3100
Median QP Level: 305

Current (I believe Nerfed Account): Level 442
Median SR: 1650
Median QP Level: 235

I'm getting at least 3-4 gold every game. On over buff I'm rated #7 in Gold medals for my SR and I'm constantly top 90% on most stats for my SR.

I'm not saying this proves anything, all I'm saying is that we know the OW team reads these forums since they've responded directly to a question posted here. We know they HATE the Keyboard/Mouse and when they found out they can't ban it they were asking buyers to write in and complain. Jeff has complained about it constantly and says they will "Do whatever they can" and I BELIEVE this means nerfing the known Xim players so at least maybe they'll leave. I've noticed really low SRs all of a sudden on a few of you more prolific posters and I was wondering if anyone has noticed the same. I mean mission accomplished, I'm done with this game but I just wanted to share my experience.

*I played 10 extra matches on the new account before keeping stats.

Offline Archibald

• View Profile
Re: Nerfed Overwatch SR for Xim Posters
« Reply #1 on: 11:01 AM - 01/11/18 »
It's not specific to XIM.  Older accounts have a greater historical amount of data that's used to determine 'confidence' in your current rating.  Think of that confidence like a rubber band.  When confidence is high, the band is tight and wild variations from your median MMR (and indirectly your SR) are mathematically discouraged.  If the account is new or if you go on a big win streak, the 'confidence' drops and the rubber band in this analogy just got a lot more 'stretchy' allowing for bigger variations making it easier to go up or down in MMR/SR.  There's also a system for identifying boosting (i.e. someone else on your account) that works to lower SR that no one understands how it works.

Personally, I think it's @#$%.  With a season reset, that confidence should be reset as well but unfortunately that's not the case.  This is why I went 10-0 in placements last season and finished within 20 pts of my season ending rank. 

Offline A Big Ol Bully

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11:46 AM - 01/11/18 »
It's not specific to XIM.  Older accounts have a greater historical amount of data that's used to determine 'confidence' in your current rating.  Think of that confidence like a rubber band.  When confidence is high, the band is tight and wild variations from your median MMR (and indirectly your SR) are mathematically discouraged.  If the account is new or if you go on a big win streak, the 'confidence' drops and the rubber band in this analogy just got a lot more 'stretchy' allowing for bigger variations making it easier to go up or down in MMR/SR.  There's also a system for identifying boosting (i.e. someone else on your account) that works to lower SR that no one understands how it works.

Personally, I think it's @#$%.  With a season reset, that confidence should be reset as well but unfortunately that's not the case.  This is why I went 10-0 in placements last season and finished within 20 pts of my season ending rank.
Totally understand except I've been Plat every season, win almost all my placements and then place back at high gold. 4 seasons in a row. I've heard people drop a bit in placement but not that much. Anyways on to PUBG, screw OW

Offline Joeyknock0

• Switch FC: 1643-1675-3606
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: Willum DeGrey
« Reply #3 on: 12:52 PM - 01/11/18 »

Totally understand except I've been Plat every season, win almost all my placements and then place back at high gold. 4 seasons in a row. I've heard people drop a bit in placement but not that much. Anyways on to PUBG, screw OW

I've noticed the opposite pattern in my ranks, season 5 i was placed in plat, 6 in diamond, 7 in masters. I didn't think i did any significant climbing in between. I would like to think Blizzard isn't targeting specific accounts to modify, but who knows.
Ranked is frustrating though, I can't be bothered to play that much because of how tense of an environment it is. I hope PUBG treats you better.

Offline jonb10198

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07:37 PM - 01/12/18 »
first acc: played first 5 seasons SR peak 4107
2nd acc: played season 4-5 SR peak 4212 *Top 500*
season 6, quit playing console and swapped to pc peak 4655 *Top 500* #4 McCree, #7 Tracer
quit the game