XIM Community

best mechanical keyboard for xim?  (Read 522 times)

Offline another1ne

• View Profile
best mechanical keyboard for xim?
« on: 07:46 PM - 12/31/17 »
looking for new keyboard since i realized my black widow with xim was  or w/e its called haha

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
Re: best mechanical keyboard for xim?
« Reply #1 on: 07:58 PM - 12/31/17 »
Lots of folk like Corsair keyboards, though some need to be set to BIOS mode and may require an additional power source.

Anything from Logitech is reliable and typically doesn't need extra power.

It's best to check the Hardware Compatibility List as your starting point, then research from there.

Offline another1ne

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09:01 PM - 12/31/17 »
Lots of folk like Corsair keyboards, though some need to be set to BIOS mode and may require an additional power source.

Anything from Logitech is reliable and typically doesn't need extra power.

It's best to check the Hardware Compatibility List as your starting point, then research from there.

yeah i looked thats why i asked in here to get real reviews using with xim4 :)

Offline another1ne

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12:09 PM - 01/01/18 »
Bump any recommendations for best one that is on the compatibility list?

Offline Od1n

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12:45 PM - 01/01/18 »
you need to specify best one i guess, you want the best build quality, the one with best gaming features (macros, ...), or best backlight?

there isnt one which excells in all categories, in general people pick corsair or coolermaster as they offer the cheapest mechanical keyboards while still having great built quality and probably the best gaming features
depending on the model you will have a (customizeable) backlight too
PS4 & X1 | C: MS | XIM4 | FW: the latest ofc! :) | Mon: BenQ XL2420Z | Pad: Zowie G-SR | KB: Ducky DK1008L Cherry Red O-Rings| A: AKG K701 Creative X7 Antlion Modmic | M: Zowie EC1-A | D: 3200 | P: 1000hz | BF4 4 HIP: 35 ADS: 20

Check out my Youtube Channel: XIMGameplay
Du sprichst Deutsch? Hier gehts zum deutschen Forum

Offline alanmcgregor

• View Profile
  • PSN ID: alanmcgamer
« Reply #5 on: 01:36 PM - 01/01/18 »
I use Razer Orbweaver, it has mechanical key as the black widow, its size allows me to play with a large mouse  pad very convenient for a low sensitivity player.
XIM APEX
Д PS4 Pro ASUS VG245H 24"  Astro A40 TR MixAmpщ Razer Orbweaver Tt esports Ventus R modded cable & hyperglide skates HyperX Fury L

Offline another1ne

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04:42 PM - 01/01/18 »
you need to specify best one i guess, you want the best build quality, the one with best gaming features (macros, ...), or best backlight?

there isnt one which excells in all categories, in general people pick corsair or coolermaster as they offer the cheapest mechanical keyboards while still having great built quality and probably the best gaming features
depending on the model you will have a (customizeable) backlight too

looking for best performance with xim is all .  any suggestions to look at for corsair and coolermaster?

Offline Od1n

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 05:51 PM - 01/01/18 »
they have a mechanical keyboard for pretty much every budget, and they come in all types of switches
first settle for the type of switch you want to have, after that check their models and go with the one that meets your budget :)
you really cannot go wrong eith corsair or coolermaster
PS4 & X1 | C: MS | XIM4 | FW: the latest ofc! :) | Mon: BenQ XL2420Z | Pad: Zowie G-SR | KB: Ducky DK1008L Cherry Red O-Rings| A: AKG K701 Creative X7 Antlion Modmic | M: Zowie EC1-A | D: 3200 | P: 1000hz | BF4 4 HIP: 35 ADS: 20

Check out my Youtube Channel: XIMGameplay
Du sprichst Deutsch? Hier gehts zum deutschen Forum

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 06:55 PM - 01/01/18 »
Keyboard performance is not really an issue and I personally don't think mechanical keyboards are worth the asking price.

Mech keys don't really provide a significant performance advantage - millisecond differences in actuation points are meaningless when you physically can't respond any faster regardless of switch type. That's more to do with how our individual nervous system is wired than the depth of a keypress. The difference between keyboards largely comes down to how squishy you want your keys and how much noise you can tolerate.

I'm still using a decade-old Z-Board Fang because I far prefer the ergonomics over a full-sized kb and hate the "clickety-clack" of mechs. Many peeps still use the ageing Logitech G13 and there isn't a mech key to be found on it either.

You won't find a single best gaming keyboard, they all perform roughly the same. The only things to look out for are rollover and ghosting. In which case, avoid some of the Razer kbs that have known problems. Other than that, put your hands on a keyboard and choose the one that feels and looks the best within your budget.

A mouse on the other hand is much more important for optimal performance. Go for anything with a Pixart PWM-3310, 3360, 3366 or 3389 sensor and you can't go wrong. The difference between them again comes down to comfort, so choose the one that feels the best in the hand and has enough buttons to do the job.

Finally, never choose a mouse or keyboard based on what a pro gamer uses. They're paid to use that specific gear, regardless of whether or not they like it and performance doesn't come into the equation. It's their inherent ability that is ultimately more important than the m/kb they're using.
« Last Edit: 07:00 PM - 01/01/18 by antithesis »

Offline another1ne

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 07:22 PM - 01/01/18 »
Keyboard performance is not really an issue and I personally don't think mechanical keyboards are worth the asking price.

Mech keys don't really provide a significant performance advantage - millisecond differences in actuation points are meaningless when you physically can't respond any faster regardless of switch type. That's more to do with how our individual nervous system is wired than the depth of a keypress. The difference between keyboards largely comes down to how squishy you want your keys and how much noise you can tolerate.

I'm still using a decade-old Z-Board Fang because I far prefer the ergonomics over a full-sized kb and hate the "clickety-clack" of mechs. Many peeps still use the ageing Logitech G13 and there isn't a mech key to be found on it either.

You won't find a single best gaming keyboard, they all perform roughly the same. The only things to look out for are rollover and ghosting. In which case, avoid some of the Razer kbs that have known problems. Other than that, put your hands on a keyboard and choose the one that feels and looks the best within your budget.

A mouse on the other hand is much more important for optimal performance. Go for anything with a Pixart PWM-3310, 3360, 3366 or 3389 sensor and you can't go wrong. The difference between them again comes down to comfort, so choose the one that feels the best in the hand and has enough buttons to do the job.

Finally, never choose a mouse or keyboard based on what a pro gamer uses. They're paid to use that specific gear, regardless of whether or not they like it and performance doesn't come into the equation. It's their inherent ability that is ultimately more important than the m/kb they're using.

again im asking for xim specific. cause my razor keyboard is amazing on pc and on xim it sucks. As far as mouse my ec2-a is just aye okay ;)

Offline Tosa

• View Profile
  • PSN ID: Peacefulwanderer
« Reply #10 on: 08:26 PM - 01/01/18 »
Filco Majestouch-2, Tenkeyless, NKR, Tactile Action, USA Keyboard FKBN87M/EB2 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004WOF7QM?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf

Perfect for me.

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 09:56 PM - 01/01/18 »
again im asking for xim specific. cause my razor keyboard is amazing on pc and on xim it sucks. As far as mouse my ec2-a is just aye okay ;)
What I'm getting at is the only performance issues you need to consider for Xim are rollover and ghosting. Everything else is purely subjective, so it's hard to give a recommendation. And most opinions are utterly irrelevant to your specific needs. As long as a kb is on the compatibility list, you're good to go.

Great mouse, no issues there :)

Offline another1ne

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 12:44 AM - 01/02/18 »
What I'm getting at is the only performance issues you need to consider for Xim are rollover and ghosting. Everything else is purely subjective, so it's hard to give a recommendation. And most opinions are utterly irrelevant to your specific needs. As long as a kb is on the compatibility list, you're good to go.

Great mouse, no issues there :)

Isnt my razor on the list though thats why i was asking maybe i read it wrong! but thanks for the info lots of keyboards on that list but the redragon might be best bang for buck for me to try out.  thanks

Offline Barret

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: xY_Barret_Yx
  • PSN ID: xY_Barret_Yx
« Reply #13 on: 01:29 AM - 01/02/18 »
i use Corsair K65 Rapidfire, (i really like keyboards tenkeyless) and dont need use bios mode to be used

Offline ceebs

• Captain_Minxley
    • View Profile
  • PSN ID: Captain_Minxley
« Reply #14 on: 03:14 AM - 01/02/18 »
I use Razer Orbweaver, it has mechanical key as the black widow, its size allows me to play with a large mouse  pad very convenient for a low sensitivity player.

I too prefer a gaming keypad to a full sized keyboard. The Allreli T9 Plus works flawlessly with the XIM4, has mechanical keys and is cheaper than most other mechanical keyboards (if you can find it - google T9 Plus as there are several different manufacturers).
Before using that, I chose a SteelSeries Apex M800 as I prefered the low-profile keys, and again, no problems with it and the XIM, although I had it powered separately though a powered USB2 hub.
To be honest, I've used many keyboards with the XIM4 over the years, with mechanical, rubber dome and scissor switches. All of them have played well with the XIM and the only difference any one has made from another were purely aesthetic and ergonomic. As others have said, go with a board that you are comfortable with and looks good to you and you won't go far wrong.
Where's Half-Life 3?

XIM Apex, PS4 Pro, Allreli T9+, Swiftpoint Z, CM Swift-RX XL, Audio Technica ATH AD700, MixAmp Pro, LG 27UD58.

MSI Z97i Gaming AC, Intel Core i5 4690k@4.2GHz, Corsair H100i, EVGA GTX780, 16gb G-Skill RipjawsX@2000MHz, XFX ProSeries (Black Edition) 750w, 3xAerocool Dead Silence, Cooltek W1, 3xSamsung Evo 500 SSD, WD 1TB HDD, Silverstone SST slot-load DVD, KustomPC braided cables.

And if you've read this far, you too are a genuine geek, my friend!