XIM Community

Great Product, but I have a suggestion.  (Read 270 times)

Offline Nickjallday

• View Profile
  • PSN ID: NickJAllDay
Great Product, but I have a suggestion.
« on: 10:18 AM - 12/26/17 »
I have always been a PC gamer and a controller still to this day is difficult for me to use on a FPS. I use my XIM4 all the time on Overwatch and Destiny 2 as of recently, but I have a few suggestions to make configuration quicker and more user friendly.

The XIM4 manager works great, however I would very much like it if all the settings were displayed on one window without having to scroll down. Scrolling through the different ADS, HIP etc... is fine, but scrolling down through advance settings and buttons is annoying (and does not work well with a scroll wheel it always scrolls to far). To me, having all the settings displayed on the window at once would make configuration quicker, and allow the user to keep open the configuration window when learning the controls of a new game they have configured. I don't know about you, but whenever I start up a new game and configure it, it takes me 30mins - an hour to relearn what buttons I have mapped where.

Just my 2 cents, not really big a big annoyance just things that I think would improve the products usability.

« Last Edit: 10:46 AM - 12/26/17 by Nickjallday »

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
Re: Great Product, but I have a suggestion.
« Reply #1 on: 04:46 PM - 12/26/17 »
That would also mean stripping functionality to cram everything onto one screen.

It also doesn't take into account that the Xim Manager UI can display in either portrait or landscape on mobile devices, meaning even less screen real estate.

Nor can Xim Manager account for the wide variance in screen resolutions - your screen may only display part of the UI, but mine may display the whole thing.

Scrolling is a perfectly acceptable form of interacting with a larger pool of data and has been for decades. It allows for rich content on all devices, rather than catering simply to the lowest common denominator.

You'll get used to your bindings, it's best to make them as consistent as possible across all games to minimise the learning curve. Overwatch is an outlier due to it's HIP-only mode for most characters, e.g L2/LT is a secondary fire-mode rather than aiming down sights. For just about every other game you can consistently bind actions to preferred buttons or keys and know exactly what you're supposed to be doing very quickly.

Good luck and have fun - I'm an old-school PC gamer myself who transitioned to console with the PS3. There hasn't been a second that I've regretted buying a Xim :)

Offline Nickjallday

• View Profile
  • PSN ID: NickJAllDay
« Reply #2 on: 08:00 PM - 12/26/17 »
I see your point, but I was more of suggesting maybe a desktop version.

Also again, not a complaint it works well enough, just something I wished I didn't have to do Lol.

Something else did come to mind, macros for certain profiles would be awesome. I hate plugging in my mouse to my computer every time I want to play different games with different macro.s

Offline slickrick

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06:11 AM - 03/05/18 »
I use a touch screen laptop, it works great. and if you want to play wirelessly on the couch you can keep laptop beside you. [ Sony nav. g903 ]

Offline OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
« Reply #4 on: 09:46 AM - 03/05/18 »
Thank you for the feedback. XIM APEX Manager now has a consolidated configuration experience as you've described. Or, you can go into "Expert" mode which is more like the XIM4 Manager experience you are referring to.
Get the most out of your XIM APEX, read the XIM APEX Support FAQ.