XIM Community

Oh boy, this is great if you don't like controllers/have a disability.  (Read 425 times)

Offline Bayo

• Cripple
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: BayonettasButt
First off, I gotta say that these devices have come a long way. The XIM has really blown me away and is something that I feel is important to keep alive.

I'll start off by saying that I have a disability, Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome. Holding a controller for extended periods of time or even just a minute can be incredibly painful for me or I can even dislocate/subluxate my joints using them. This is especially a problem for me with unergonomic twin stick layouts like the DS3/4/Wii U pro controller. I've done a lot of my gaming on PC over the years due to this and struggled where I could to find workarounds or solutions to issues. A device like this allows almost anyone to customise a layout to their liking. As my condition has gotten worse, I've moved onto foot controllers, trackballs and the occasional mouse that is comfortable to use.

This is in an age where no console wants to support mouse/keyboard or other input methods and developers hate letting you change any binding. So I gotta say, keep doing what you do.

On the features/improvements side.
I'd like switch support but I understand there's a chaining method that's possible.
The big one, would be a better app for PC or offline management/configuration. If there is an option for offline config, I haven't seen it yet, so that's on me.
The last one is kinda vague, but image support for configs would be a nice addition. While I can name my weeb games configs on the device, they'll all have the same block image beside them which can make quick switching not as fun. I'm not really big on console FPS and the players are absolutely mindless so this device works out for me on other games and RPG's more than FPS. It would just be nice to not see a huge spam of destiny pictures or the controllers when listing.

TL;DR
All in all, a great product for people who may fall outside of the circle of the norm when using controllers and a must have for people with disabilities who can use PC input devices. While there's a lot of debate and most console players or even most people don't understand, this is a very important thing for people like me and it's great to see someone who can help others with a product where the gaming industry does not. Keep up the good work!

Offline OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
Thank you for the feedback and I'm always thrilled to hear about people using XIM4 to enable them in this way. I appreciate the feature suggestions. Understood on the offline Config request, but, it sounds like you'd like custom Config game art, is the correct?
Get the most out of your XIM APEX, read the XIM APEX Support FAQ.

Offline Bayo

• Cripple
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: BayonettasButt
it sounds like you'd like custom Config game art, is the correct?

Yup, It's a little thing that could help differentiate custom profiles that little bit more. I understand if it's not possible due to limitations on the way configs are handled but it would be nicer to look at than a solid block of red down the side.
Another one that I noticed while revisiting the config in IOS to take the screenshot was that inputs can't be named on profiles. This leaves a bit of confusion if you're not familiar with the console controls as they are on the layout, so it can be a bit of a pain to tweak when changing something.

This is what I'm greeted with when loading a profile at the minute.

Offline RML

• MVP
  • L1vE DiFfeR3nT
    • View Profile
That would actually be a really cool feature!
XXX | C:M$ | XIM APEX | Latest | BenQ 24" Monitor | Pad: Steel Series 9HD | Sony Nav | A: Sennheiser 650's/Mod mic/Sound Blaster X7 | M: G502 | D: 12,000 | P: 1000 | AAA Setup [on]

Advanced Settings Info - http://community.xim.tech/index.php?topic=41264.0
Anti Aim Assist curve set for ANY FPS Game -
 http://community.xim.tech/index.php?topic=49063.0
Destiny 1&2 Advanced Settings - https://community.xim.tech/index.php?topic=56658.msg626940#msg626940

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
It would also eat valuable Xim memory.