XIM Community

Nintendo Switch Update 3.00  (Read 4536 times)

Offline Ffan

• View Profile
Nintendo Switch Update 3.00
« on: 07:44 PM - 06/19/17 »
Hi guys,

so I've just stumpled upon patchnotes for update 3.00 for the Switch, which was just released, including this tidbit:

"Use the Nintendo Switch Pro Controller via wired communication by connecting the USB charging cable

To enable, head to System Settings > Controllers and Sensors > Pro Controller Wired Communication"

I've gathered that so far there were no plans to support the Nintendo Switch, but I wonder if the upcoming release of Splatoon and the fact, that we can apparently now use the Pro Controller in wired mode, might change the team's stance on this. I guess the demand will still be slim compared to other platforms/ games, but still ... I for one would _love_ to be able to play Splatoon with max sensitivy, something I never even remotely managed to do with that clunky WiiU gamepad, and my limited 'thumb-skils'. Hell, if we had Xim support, I might even dare picking a Charger once in a while!

So yeah, Switch/ Splatoon support would be greatly appreciated, and I for one would certainly use it a fair bit come next month!  8) If it can be done, please consider it, thanks!

Offline Od1n

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo Switch Update 3.00
« Reply #1 on: 07:53 PM - 06/19/17 »
yes those are great news for the switch fans and makes a potential xim support more likely
however obsiv lately said there arent any plans to support the switch at the moment

right now the switch install base isnt big enough, also there arent any titles available on the console to warrant a xim support
this all can change rather quickly though and so will the oppinion of the xim company regarding a switch support
PS4 & X1 | C: MS | XIM4 | FW: the latest ofc! :) | Mon: BenQ XL2420Z | Pad: Zowie G-SR | KB: Ducky DK1008L Cherry Red O-Rings| A: AKG K701 Creative X7 Antlion Modmic | M: Zowie EC1-A | D: 3200 | P: 1000hz | BF4 4 HIP: 35 ADS: 20

Check out my Youtube Channel: XIMGameplay
Du sprichst Deutsch? Hier gehts zum deutschen Forum

Offline Ffan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08:04 PM - 06/19/17 »
Well, from what I can tell the userbase is growing pretty rapidly. Faster than previous Nintendo consoles at any rate, and mostly limited by supply rather than demand in most regions - at least for the moment.

As for games, I agree, right here, right now, I indeed wouldn't have much use for XIM support, but I really think Splatoon 2 will change that in a big way. It's not just for PvP either, the new horde mode featured in the game looks also pretty fun as well as challenging. Milage would vary obviously, but I imagine I for one would get quite a lot out of it.

Anyways, I just wanted to put it out there, as reading those patchnotes made me think of how awesome it would be to get Switch support for the XIM, hence I hope obsiv might eventually consider ... reconsidering :-)

Offline OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
« Reply #3 on: 09:30 PM - 06/19/17 »
As I recall, Splatoon for WiiU didn't allow full online multiplayer just with the pro controller. Will this be the same?
Get the most out of your XIM APEX, read the XIM APEX Support FAQ.

Offline MisterAlex

• Esquire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10:21 PM - 06/19/17 »
I came to post the same info. Here's hoping XIM can make Splatoon playable at some point...

Offline Puhz

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11:41 PM - 06/19/17 »
Was going to post this aswell. Official support for games when they come out would be good like splatoon yes I agree. But if we could get basic support where we could change values like we do on other games and use them towards switch would be perfect. So pretty much would be nice to get the xim and switch to talk to each other. If we could at least get that support it would help immensely. The community can come up with values on there own for specific games. I'm not saying to do that and just leave us. Just as a start let us tinker? But official support would obviously be best

Offline Ffan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02:32 PM - 06/20/17 »
As I recall, Splatoon for WiiU didn't allow full online multiplayer just with the pro controller. Will this be the same?

Afaik, Splatoon 2 will allow you to play any mode using the Pro Controller. Nintendo is actually releasing a Splatoon 'themed' Pro Controller in conjunction with the game. I think the issue with Splatoon 1 was the gamepad, ObsIV ... remember, they used to argue that without the 2nd screen feature of the gamepad, Splatoon could not have been realized at all (you could always see the map on the gamepad, which was useful and you could tap teammates to jump to them, but all of this could have been facilitate through e.g. an overlay as well ...).

Anyways, Nintendo's claim was meant to justify the existence of the gamepad and it was as bogus then as it is now. The only difference being, that now we have empirical evidence to contradict their claim - evidence of their own making no less. If that previous claim were true, there would be no Splatoon 2 on the Switch after all ...

Also, the Pro controller - unlike the WiiU pro controller - can be used for 'motion controls' like the Joycons, so basically, the Pro Controller can now do everything the "standard" controller can do - expect split itself in two :-) And yeah, before you ask, the gyro/motion controls are optional im Splatoon 2 (just as they were in Splatoon 1).

No excuses left now!  ;) ;) ;)

I'm just kidding, as I have no idea, how much work that would actually end up being, and how many people would end up using it, but sitll, and like I said, I would absolutely adore support at the very least for Splatoon 2.
That game looks absolutely amazing, and I can barely imagine how good it would play with a M/K setup and a proper ST to boot.

Offline Spectrum

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 06:10 PM - 06/20/17 »
yes those are great news for the switch fans and makes a potential xim support more likely
however obsiv lately said there arent any plans to support the switch at the moment

right now the switch install base isnt big enough, also there arent any titles available on the console to warrant a xim support
this all can change rather quickly though and so will the oppinion of the xim company regarding a switch support

Isn't big enough ? This all can change rather quickly ?. Each time I hear the same on here...blablabla.

Anyway, we will never play with XIM 4 on a Nintendo system, devs just don't care and will never care.
We are all losing our time here asking for it, this is just useless.

I'm fed up to always hear the same excuses, even if the system is now compatible.

Splatoon 2 will be a massive success and lots of people are just waiting to play it with a mouse, but nobody can hear it.

To be worth, it has to be released asap due to quite close release, not in three years and not at the end of the Switch's lifespan to be efficient commercialy.

What's next excuse ? I see -> It is too long to develop for ? It is already too late...

Offline Ffan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 06:54 PM - 06/20/17 »

Isn't big enough ? This all can change rather quickly ?. Each time I hear the same on here...blablabla.

Anyway, we will never play with XIM 4 on a Nintendo system, devs just don't care and will never care.

I'm fed up to always hear the same excuses, even if the system is now compatible.

Splatoon 2 will be a massive success and lots of people are just waiting to play it with a mouse, but nobody can hear it.

To be worth, it has to be released asap due to quite close release, not in three years and not at the end of the Switch's lifespan to be efficient commercialy.

What's next excuse ? I see -> It is too long to develop for ? It is already too late...

Not helpful ...  :(

Offline Od1n

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 08:34 PM - 06/20/17 »

making a new console compatible with xim isnt an easy task, its not like you flip a switch and its compatible
calcualte the hours or research, coding, testing, ... and youll quickly reach values of several ten thousands of dollars, just for making the xim work with a new console
that investment needs to pay off, and at the moment the switch install base and its games arent there yet to do so

yesterday there was an announcement that nintendo will have switch shortages through the entire remaining year, yes that shows us that the demand is there, but also on the other hand that the increase of the install base is tied to the supply shortages and therefore cannot expand as quickly as it could

as i said things can change rather quickly, the console is on a good way
PS4 & X1 | C: MS | XIM4 | FW: the latest ofc! :) | Mon: BenQ XL2420Z | Pad: Zowie G-SR | KB: Ducky DK1008L Cherry Red O-Rings| A: AKG K701 Creative X7 Antlion Modmic | M: Zowie EC1-A | D: 3200 | P: 1000hz | BF4 4 HIP: 35 ADS: 20

Check out my Youtube Channel: XIMGameplay
Du sprichst Deutsch? Hier gehts zum deutschen Forum

Offline Ffan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 03:51 AM - 06/21/17 »
calcualte the hours or research, coding, testing, ... and youll quickly reach values of several ten thousands of dollars, just for making the xim work with a new console
that investment needs to pay off, and at the moment the switch install base and its games arent there yet to do so

Interesting, so at which point in terms of Switch systems sold - roughly speaking of course  - would you consider the install base big enough for the investment to pay off? I mean, as far as games go, it's a Nintendo console, a portable hybrid on top of that, hence I doubt it'll ever be home to more than a handful of 1st-/ 3rd-person-shooter. Basically, we've got Splatoon and Metroid as far as Nintendo IPs go, that I can think of, and both are coming to the system. 3rd-party support will be spare in that regardas well, that much seems certain. I hope the quality and popularity of Metroid, and more so Splatoon might count for something :P

Maybe Switch support would even help putting Splatoon on the map, so to speak, with the 'core gamer' audience around here ... might be a bit of a chicken & egg situation in that regard.

Anyways, thanks for the insight and keep us updated!  ;)

Offline MisterAlex

• Esquire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 03:36 PM - 06/21/17 »
Well, it's not only a matter of number of Switches in the wild. It's also (primarily) a matter of demand for a control translator for the console. Considering that most of us probably already have a Xim and wouldn't necessarily represent new sales, it could very well be difficult for such a development investment to break even. Yeah, I'd love Switch support for the Xim, but I also get the realities of software development and would certainly understand if that doesn't pan out.

Offline Ffan

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 04:46 AM - 06/22/17 »
Considering that most of us probably already have a Xim and wouldn't necessarily represent new sales, it could very well be difficult for such a development investment to break even.

I get that, but honestly, how is that different from 'sinking' any further development cost and/or support cost (like STs etc.) into the Xim in general? How many people will buy a second Xim because of any additional feature or ST? I guess, very few to none, so it's all about keeping current cusomters happy (I'd assume the XIM4 isn't the last XIM, and also, who is gonna recommend a product to friends he doesn't like?) and making it as attractive as possible to new customers.

I don't think Switch support is any different in THAT regard. But yeah, I guess Switch support would be more costly initially, and demand will certainly not be as high as for X1/PS4. There is an upside here as well though: Chances are you could tap into a new customerbase, meaning people who might play Splatoon (for example), but who would never in a million years play CoD, Destiny or Halo, and/ or who only own a Nintendo CONSOLE (maybe a PC as well) anyways.

That's for the most part hypothetical though, but it strikes me as at least a potential avenue to additional growth and certainly added value to the product.

Offline MisterAlex

• Esquire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 07:35 AM - 06/22/17 »
I get that, but honestly, how is that different from 'sinking' any further development cost and/or support cost (like STs etc.) into the Xim in general? How many people will buy a second Xim because of any additional feature or ST? I guess, very few to none, so it's all about keeping current cusomters happy (I'd assume the XIM4 isn't the last XIM, and also, who is gonna recommend a product to friends he doesn't like?) and making it as attractive as possible to new customers.

I don't think Switch support is any different in THAT regard.

It is most certainly different. The biggest reason is that the XIM was sold on the promise of continued support for new titles. I guarantee you there wouldn't have been as many customers for the product if it were just a Call of Duty and Halo controller. I bought it based on the fact that it would gain support for Destiny, Overwatch, and any future titles that I might want to play.

Additionally, I would reckon OBsIV has some sort of framework built for "training" the system on new games. A template of sorts. But adding Switch support would require a bunch of testing and research into such things as what signals are sent/received for what inputs, how the messages are encrypted, what kind of handshakes the console/controller make, etc. This would all be new work from scratch. All of this would need to be justifiable before we could see support added for a new console.

Offline Puhz

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 01:43 AM - 08/01/17 »
Capcom releasing RE revelations 1+2 for switch. That's now 2 shooters with splatoon. Hope this keeps up I want to use xim!

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1414023