XIM Community

ROCCAT leadr  (Read 2092 times)

Offline mist4fun

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
Re: ROCCAT leadr
« Reply #15 on: 08:52 AM - 06/22/17 »
Some devices do allow you to store profiles onboard but you can't use these unless the software is running. Be sure to make the distinction of using the device memory without their software when you talk with them.

I've received a follow up email stating that the Roccat Leadr DOES require the software to utilize the onboard memory. Pretty pissed off right now...

Sorry to hear that, most devices these days work like that. I think roccat and logitech have true onboard memory. There could be others as well.
Have a problem with your XIM4? Find a solution in the XIM4 Support FAQ
XIM4 User Manual   |   XIM Instructional Videos

Offline matthewk85

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: o MattyAu o
« Reply #16 on: 05:13 PM - 06/22/17 »
Sorry to hear that, most devices these days work like that. I think roccat and logitech have true onboard memory. There could be others as well.

That's what annoys me the most, their previous mice all had true onboard memory. Back to the trusty old G502 for me; Roccat never again!

Offline Bergman

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 02:24 PM - 06/26/17 »
You guys got some bad information as this mouse (like all other modern mice) has on board memory. Not sure why anyone would think otherwise. However what you have to do is open the Swarm software app and set the mouse however you want. Then you need to go to the small pull down menu that says :"profile Slot" and select "set as desktop profile". this will turn blue and be checked and a small blue icon will now appear on the profile slot tab.

Once that is done you can shut down the Swarm app and plug the mouse in the PS4.All configs are now there. Not sure why Roccat could not tell you that but I am using this on my PS 4 and XIM just fine.

Offline matthewk85

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 05:22 PM - 06/26/17 »
Not so much the bad information as it is the interaction with the mouse. I've used those exact steps to try store my profiles and no luck. I confirmed like this: set my DPI to 3 steps; 4000, 8000, 12,000 (I'm a 12k DPI user) and turned my lighting off. The moment I close the swarm app, lighting appears and the mouse DPI has clearly dropped to default levels. I also mapped the Smart-Shift Key to a keyboard button and worked while the software was open, but did not the moment I closed it.
I also asked an Amazon reviewer to test his without the swarm software, same issue, and the Roccat reddit thread also has reported the same issue.
I'd love to be proved wrong, and if I'm not, have it fixed in a firmware update, but either way, I'll try again tonight to confirm.
« Last Edit: 05:27 PM - 06/26/17 by matthewk85 »

Offline matthewk85

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 10:50 PM - 06/26/17 »
You guys got some bad information as this mouse (like all other modern mice) has on board memory. Not sure why anyone would think otherwise. However what you have to do is open the Swarm software app and set the mouse however you want. Then you need to go to the small pull down menu that says :"profile Slot" and select "set as desktop profile". this will turn blue and be checked and a small blue icon will now appear on the profile slot tab.

Once that is done you can shut down the Swarm app and plug the mouse in the PS4.All configs are now there. Not sure why Roccat could not tell you that but I am using this on my PS 4 and XIM just fine.

Tried again and no luck, profiles do not persist without the swarm software active for me.
Curiously, does your smart shift key bind as a button on its own, or do you need to press another button with the smart shift for it to bind?
« Last Edit: 10:58 PM - 06/26/17 by matthewk85 »

Offline matthewk85

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 05:30 PM - 06/27/17 »
Last thing I'll post regarding this mouse (most disappointing purchase in some time):

Followed up with two other support requests. I made a specific request to enable the use of on-board memory to be utilized without the need for the swarm software running, this was their replies:

1. That is unfortunately not possible, and such a feature will also not come in the future, I'm sorry.
I can understand your disappointment about this. Please feel free to ask your shop if you can return the product.

2. I am sorry but this is unfortunately not possible with the Leadr since almost the whole on-board memory of the Leadr is used for the zero lag wireless connection to ensure the stability of the connection.

Disappointing really is an understatement.

Offline belpoutre

• cool attitude
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 05:48 PM - 06/30/17 »
yeah i've got exactly the same issue. so i've to start the leadr on my computer with swarm, then i turn on the mouse with the power switch under the mouse and then i could connect her to the xim.... if i turn off my mouse when my console is off i have to do the same thing again... with swarm on my computer. So my mouse is always on, she has nearly 20 hours of autonomy and It recharges when I play..
but for 149 euros it's really not simple and I'm disgusting about that ....
bye ;)

Offline Bergman

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 06:09 AM - 07/02/17 »
i don't know what to tell you guys but I am quite sure I am not a special person here  Looking at your reply it does not appear you guys fully read my comments so I will say them again. I will try saying it this way:

1) Open Swarm
2) Set whatever you want on the settings including lights and button mappings
3) Find Game Profiles in Blue text (it is down in the lower left corner of the Swarm app
4) Click on the down arrow to the right of "Profile Slot 1"
5) Select "set as desktop profile"

At that point a blue dp will appear next to the words default1 and you have now saved all your settings to the mouse. I have don't this with no issue and I can then remove it and plug it in to my PS4 and it works fine.

Offline matthewk85

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 05:05 PM - 07/02/17 »
i don't know what to tell you guys but I am quite sure I am not a special person here  Looking at your reply it does not appear you guys fully read my comments so I will say them again. I will try saying it this way:

1) Open Swarm
3) Find Game Profiles in Blue text (it is down in the lower left corner of the Swarm app
5) Select "set as desktop profile"

At that point a blue dp will appear next to the words default1 and you have now saved all your settings to the mouse. I have don't this with no issue and I can then remove it and plug it in to my PS4 and it works fine.

Fully read them, fully tried it, did not save to the mouse.

FYI, confirmed by 3 different support requests (direct with Roccat) that the mouse does not have true on-board memory. You may have just gotten lucky.
« Last Edit: 05:28 PM - 07/02/17 by matthewk85 »

Offline Bergman

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 05:56 AM - 07/03/17 »
There is no such thing as luck in electronics but sometimes you have to think things through and test out different scenarios to get things to work. Since you obviously are here to only show how it will not work you can suit yourself. If it makes you feel better to not use the mouse and complain go for it. For others out there who want to use the Leadr on a PS4 with a XIM it is a fantastic mouse. I run it at full DPI and the Pixart sensor is very smooth with the XIM. Also love all the buttons and their placement. I have bought and used 9 different gaming mice and all the rest of them are in the drawer.

Now to use it properly is actually quite simple and you just have to follow a few basic steps. As stated here by others many many times there is indeed no built in ROM based memory. The mouse WILL however hold a configuration so using it on a PS4 is a fairly painless process if done right. I use mine wired and have not yet tested wireless so that indeed may work on I just have not done it personally. Now to get this working do the following;

1) Turn the mouse over and turn the power switch to on
2) Plug it in to a PC (i would let it charge a bit since there is an internal battery)
3) Download and open the Swarm app
5) Select "set as desktop profile" (At that point a blue DP will appear next to the words default1 and you have now saved all your settings to the mouse.)
6) unplug the mouse LEAVING THE POWER BUTTON ON and plug it in to a powered USB hub that is connected to the XIM.
7) start playing your games and enjoy.

If you keep the mouse turned ON, the powered hub (which honestly you need to use anyway) will retain the config. with no problem. Is this all a bit of a pain? maybe but I would be using the powered hub anyway and it was not that big a deal to just turn the button on and leave it that way. The advantages o using this mouse will make it worth while.

Hope that will help some others out there who want to try it. 

Offline matthewk85

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 07:01 AM - 07/03/17 »
SMH. I have tried that, I've tried multiple scenarios besides the steps you've stated and it did not work. Hence why I took the next step to contact Roccat support, not once, but three times, for all of them to confirm that the mouse does not support storing profiles without the software active, nor will it ever; They said that.
That's fantastic and all that you have it working your way, but I tried your steps when you first posted them, and it didn't work. I'm merely posting my experience to save anyone else spending a ridiculous amount on this mouse when it can't do what it's advertised to do, especially when their support have confirmed that fact. I have a G502, and the wireless is the only feature that I want in the roccat that really sets it apart for me.
By all means, if people want to spend that sort of money just to try your steps to get it to work, they are more than welcome to.

Offline matthewk85

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 02:56 AM - 07/04/17 »
Well I'll be damned, I tried a couple more times and I finally got it working wired, so whether or not there was an issue the last few times I tried, but it does work wired, my apologies. BUT, if you're hoping to get it working wireless, it doesn't seem to work, in windows at least (still yet to test out with my XIM. It retains DPI settings, but I can't seem to get it to register any key bindings. Still testing to see if I can get any other bindings working, but by the looks it appears still not to be true onboard memory and I think I'll be sending this mouse back tomorrow. Will update either way.

Update: I could get it to retain the led changes, changing the Dpi cycle button, but no other binding persisted in the wireless mode (with or without the receiver connected to a power USB hub). I tried KB bindings and a range of other basic commands available in the swarm software, but no luck. I'm assuming this is due to the mouse utilizing a large portion of the storage for their wireless connection, as stated by support. Unfortunately a dealbreaker for me, so I'm sending back tomorrow. I do think it would be a pretty neat mouse on PC though.
« Last Edit: 04:44 AM - 07/04/17 by matthewk85 »

Offline JuanDeage

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 05:04 AM - 07/04/17 »
Yep, I tried to save key bindings as well and it did not work. No matter what I tried here. The Roccat Kone EMP and Roccat Kone Pure 2017 both save perfectly with no extra steps or profile stuff like that. So I am pretty sure the Leadr can NOT save bindings to the mouse. I sent it back as well.

Offline matthewk85

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 12:35 AM - 07/17/17 »
Interestingly, Roccat have now removed any mention of storage from the product page, all it says now is: 32-BIT PROCESSOR for rapid macro execution. Clearly they recognised they were falsely advertising its wireless capabilities.

Offline mjboor911

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 10:36 PM - 02/16/18 »
Well I can't get any profile changes to save to the mouse, as soon as I plug it in to the Xim it reverts to the default settings, so I can't increase the DPI or anything.... hmmmmmm

What is the default dpi?