XIM Community

DIY Couch Lap Desk (added pics-moved to Member Projects 2/4/16)  (Read 3470 times)

Offline theravenclaw44

• Play Destiny on PS4? Feel free to add me on PSN.
    • View Profile
  • PSN ID: theravenclaw44
XIMers,

Having recently gotten my Xim4 and started to give console gaming a try I looked for a comfortable way to use a mouse and keyboard from the couch. I found this product http://www.steigerdynamics.com/products-couchmaster-features and thought that it looked like a great solution.

The cost is $199 for the microfiber version which, while a bit steep seemed doable since there is not really another product like this. I was all set to order until I noticed that the product would not ship until mid-April. I was pretty bummed and talked to my wife about it. She said that the actual product did not look that complicated and that we could probably build one ourselves.

Now, I am not a handyman by any stretch of the imagination but I thought that I would give it a try. I looked at the Couchmaster site and used their product dimensions as a starting point. I then sat down at my couch with a tape measure, measured the Couchmaster specs and adjusted them a bit. I did not think I needed the twin cushions/supports to be quite as wide as the Couchmaster but wanted the desk-board to be a bit longer. Since I am a big guy (6'3" athletic build) I went with 38" instead of the stock 29.5" or 33.5" that they offer. I also wanted the desk board to be 13" wide.

I found this site http://www.cushionsxpress.com/products/Foam_Rectangular_Seat_Cushion-4-7.html that let me order two foam "cushions" cut to my exact dimensions. I chose to go with a high-density, extra-firm (55 ILD) foam since it would be acting as the arm rests and I did not want my elbows sinking in. The foam arrived quickly and was exactly the right size and firmness.

I went to my local Home Depot and bought a 3/4", 13" wide board and had them cut it to 38" in length for me. I also bought some medium and fine grit sandpaper and sanded the edges of the board down so that they are all rounded.

I bought 4 yards (in order to have some extra in case of mistakes) of this fabric https://www.fashionfabricsclub.com/p197602_42034X-deep-black-microsuede. It can be used to re-upholstery furniture and is soft enough to be comfortable while tough enough to last for a while.

This is where it might get tricky if you are a single guy. My wife has a sewing machine and is decent at using it. She made covers for both foam arm rests as well as the desk board. She added a small zipper to the arm rests and used velcro to seal the desk board. She also added external velcro strips to the underside of the board cover and tops of the rests so that the board would be adjustable but would stay where it is placed.

We finished up the project on Monday and I have used it the last two evenings and LOVE it!

I am at work now and cannot upload any pics but I can add them later if there is interest.

Again, I am no expert but I am happy to answer questions if anyone has any.

Edit

Here are two pics. The first is one of arm rests and the second is the setup. Not the best quality but they will give you an idea.

PS4 | XIM4 | Logitech G700s/G502 | Logitech K800/G13 | PS Nav

Offline flst81

• Go Noles!!!!!
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: Pl3zd0ntsh00tm3
looks quite comfortable my brother
Xim 4| Logitech G13 | Logitech G502 | Glorious Extended mouse pad| Razer Vespula | Asus MX279H monitor |  ROCCAT APURI Active USB Hub | XB1

Offline theravenclaw44

• Play Destiny on PS4? Feel free to add me on PSN.
    • View Profile
  • PSN ID: theravenclaw44
It definitely is. Before I would scoot the coffee table up in front of the couch, raise the top, and hunch forward. This setup is so much more ergonomic.

Honestly the only drawback with the setup is the storage when you are not using it. But the benefits drastically outweigh that small issue.
PS4 | XIM4 | Logitech G700s/G502 | Logitech K800/G13 | PS Nav

Offline Lex001

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: Lex 001
Good stuff there, really handy having an onsite sewing guru for this type of project, nice one!
"Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience"

XIM4, G502, RoccT, Nav controller, NextBook M865, not enough time in the day...

Offline AXE Coolossus

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: AXE Coolossus
nicely done.  thanks for bringing that up--had not considered a product like this but this is definitely cool.

Offline SenhordoVento

• View Profile
    • SenhordoVento
  • PSN ID: SenhordoVento
You Sir, are a life and back saver!  :)
Thanks for bringing such a cool tool to my attention! ;)
You miss 100 percent of the shots you never take.
—Wayne Gretzky 👌🏼

Don’t ever wrestle with a pig. You’ll both get dirty, but the pig will enjoy it.
—Cale Yarborough 😂

Offline TheRazer

• View Profile
You can give the sizes of cushions and the table itself:D Im starting to work with something similar too :D