XIM Community

Sound Blaster X7 or...  (Read 26316 times)

Offline Archer444

• View Profile
Re: Sound Blaster X7 or...
« Reply #30 on: 09:42 AM - 01/22/16 »
I've got all the pieces ordered, and now I need clarification with the setup for my PS4.  :o

I have the X7, BT-W2 dongle, Antlion ModMic, and Senn HD650's.

Here's where I need clarification on the set up:

-PS4 to X7 via optical cable
-BT dongle plugged in USB port on PS4
-Antlion ModMic plugged into mic port on X7 (and headset obviously plugged into X7 as well).

Which PS4 Settings should I use for this setup?

Offline Od1n

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 10:13 AM - 01/22/16 »
-Antlion ModMic plugged into mic port on X7 (and headset obviously plugged into X7 as well).

thats correct :)
PS4 & X1 | C: MS | XIM4 | FW: the latest ofc! :) | Mon: BenQ XL2420Z | Pad: Zowie G-SR | KB: Ducky DK1008L Cherry Red O-Rings| A: AKG K701 Creative X7 Antlion Modmic | M: Zowie EC1-A | D: 3200 | P: 1000hz | BF4 4 HIP: 35 ADS: 20

Check out my Youtube Channel: XIMGameplay
Du sprichst Deutsch? Hier gehts zum deutschen Forum

Online antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 03:38 PM - 01/22/16 »

Which PS4 Settings should I use for this setup?

Setup nailed.

AUDIO SETUP
---------------
PS4 - Settings > Audio Output Settings > DIGITAL OUT (OPTICAL) and Bitstream (Dolby)

MIC SETUP
------------
PS4 - Settings > Devices > Audio Devices to select your Input (mic) and Output (audio) devices.

Choose USB Headset (Creative Bluetooth Audio W2) for Input, Adjust Microphone Level and select "Chat Audio" for Output to Headphones.

For Output Device, select TV or AV Amplifier for your TOSlink connection to the PS4. You can leave the Output Device as Creative BlueTooth Audio W2 if you want, it doesn't make any tangible difference as the X7 will ignore this setting.

Offline Archer444

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 08:07 PM - 01/22/16 »
Awesome! Thanks!

Offline tsdbhg

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: xolhid
  • PSN ID: xolhid
« Reply #34 on: 12:28 AM - 01/24/16 »
I recently purchased the X7(waiting for it to get here), but I do not want to use a standard mic. I was hoping to use my Blue Yeti. I haven't received my X7 yet, but with my astro amp and yeti connected in the usb, it seems there is a conflict. If I select my Yeti as my input, it also makes it my output, If i select the Astro mixamp as my output, it also makes it my input. how do I prevent this from happening?
« Last Edit: 12:46 AM - 01/24/16 by tsdbhg »

Online antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 04:56 AM - 01/24/16 »
I recently purchased the X7(waiting for it to get here), but I do not want to use a standard mic. I was hoping to use my Blue Yeti. I haven't received my X7 yet, but with my astro amp and yeti connected in the usb, it seems there is a conflict. If I select my Yeti as my input, it also makes it my output, If i select the Astro mixamp as my output, it also makes it my input. how do I prevent this from happening?

You *should* be able to use the 3.5mm mic jack on the Yeti to feed into either the front mic port on the X7, or the RCA ports on the back of the X7 via the supplied 3.5mm to RCA cables.

I'm positive it can be done as I looked into wired / USB mics quite extensively before Creative released the BT-W2, which solved my problem.

An easier solution is to plug the Yeti into your PS4 (?) via USB and the X7 via Optical. Select Input / Output in Settings > Devices > Audio Devices...job done.

Offline tsdbhg

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 08:58 AM - 01/25/16 »

Setup nailed.

AUDIO SETUP
---------------
PS4 - Settings > Audio Output Settings > DIGITAL OUT (OPTICAL) and Bitstream (Dolby)

MIC SETUP
------------
PS4 - Settings > Devices > Audio Devices to select your Input (mic) and Output (audio) devices.

Choose USB Headset (Creative Bluetooth Audio W2) for Input, Adjust Microphone Level and select "Chat Audio" for Output to Headphones.

For Output Device, select TV or AV Amplifier for your TOSlink connection to the PS4. You can leave the Output Device as Creative BlueTooth Audio W2 if you want, it doesn't make any tangible difference as the X7 will ignore this setting.

Wouldn't it be better to select the input/output both as the W2? This way you can separate game & chat Audio and use the SB software to find a good mix? If you make the output TV or AV Amplifier, then there is no way to separate game & chat Audio. At least for PS4.

There is an option in the PS4 Party Chat that appears to seem like it should mix Party and non-party Audio, but all it does is raise or lower non-party chat Audio. No matter where you put the slider, the party Audio is ridiculously loud and the non-party Audio is low.
« Last Edit: 12:59 PM - 01/25/16 by tsdbhg »

Online antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 04:05 PM - 01/25/16 »
Wouldn't it be better to select the input/output both as the W2? This way you can separate game & chat Audio and use the SB software to find a good mix? If you make the output TV or AV Amplifier, then there is no way to separate game & chat Audio. At least for PS4.

With the W2 set as the Output Device rather than TV or AV Amp, and Output to Headphones set to Chat Audio,   the X7 overrides the Volume Control (Headphones) setting for game audio as it's still being piped via TOSlink instead of the W2's Bluetooth. In this configuration, Volume Control (Headphones) adjusts the Chat volume, which might be what you want, but you're doing it on the PS4 rather than the X7.

Changing Output to Headphones from Chat Audio to All Audio mutes the TOSlink connection and pipes it all through the W2, which *could* negatively affect sound quality as you're now using Bluetooth instead of Optical for game audio. If there's a difference, it's negligible, so it's still entirely viable.

Either way, the W2 is effectively the X7 for chat - the mic goes through the X7, so it's subject to Mixing, CrystalVoice etc in the SB app.

I personally just leave the W2 enabled for Input and Output and set Output to Headphones to Chat Audio for the most control - Game / Chat audio can be mixed on both the PS4 and the X7 app.
« Last Edit: 04:23 PM - 01/25/16 by antithesis »

Offline Zombieguy

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • PSN ID: Zombie_Be_Gone
« Reply #38 on: 05:17 PM - 01/25/16 »
A good watch for general use.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1rXcJuEsy0

Offline kuhl

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 10:19 PM - 01/25/16 »
A good watch for general use.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1rXcJuEsy0

That was pretty good. Helped me understand a few things, but they did get the entire "We have two ears so all you need is 2 speakers" thing completely wrong.  They said that the virtual barbershop audio clip on youtube means that you don't need anything more than 2 speakers so just turn off all your virtual 7.1 surround sound and just take the raw audio from your games because that's the best form with a good set of headphones.  But they failed to recognize that the barbershop was recorded using binaural audio which is what the virtual surround tries to emulate by taking the 5.1-7.1 signal and converting it into 2-channels.  Again, they really seemed to miss that entire point and said that most games have integrated binaural audio encoding to headphone settings.  It was kind of surprising because that's a complete fabrication.

Offline tsdbhg

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 11:10 PM - 01/25/16 »

With the W2 set as the Output Device rather than TV or AV Amp, and Output to Headphones set to Chat Audio,   the X7 overrides the Volume Control (Headphones) setting for game audio as it's still being piped via TOSlink instead of the W2's Bluetooth. In this configuration, Volume Control (Headphones) adjusts the Chat volume, which might be what you want, but you're doing it on the PS4 rather than the X7.

Changing Output to Headphones from Chat Audio to All Audio mutes the TOSlink connection and pipes it all through the W2, which *could* negatively affect sound quality as you're now using Bluetooth instead of Optical for game audio. If there's a difference, it's negligible, so it's still entirely viable.

Either way, the W2 is effectively the X7 for chat - the mic goes through the X7, so it's subject to Mixing, CrystalVoice etc in the SB app.

I personally just leave the W2 enabled for Input and Output and set Output to Headphones to Chat Audio for the most control - Game / Chat audio can be mixed on both the PS4 and the X7 app.

Ok so I think you are confused bro. I posted what you said below and my response was to that. read your words.

Also Game/Chat Audio cannot be properly "Mixed" on the PS4
If you read the description in the "Adjust Audio Mix" on the PS4 you would see that the only thing the slider does is lower/raise the game volume and does not lower/raise the chat volume. The Chat volume is always louder than the game volume no matter what setting you put it at. That is not a true mixer.

Setup nailed.

AUDIO SETUP
---------------

MIC SETUP
------------

I read your post like 10 times and each time I read it, I get the impression that you are saying that the "Output Device" is your game audio. Which it isn't. Its Chat only. I do not want my chat going through the Toslink. I want to separate it so I can mix the volume level of Chat and Game audio properly.

If you select TV or Av Amplifier for the Output Device, then the chat audio and the game audio are sent through the toslink together. There is no way to separate and properly mix them at this point.
« Last Edit: 11:42 PM - 01/25/16 by tsdbhg »

Online antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 01:04 AM - 01/26/16 »
While Output Device is set to BT-W2, and Output to Headphones is set to Chat Audio, adjust X7 app > Mixer > Playback > Bluetooth volume - that should be Chat Audio. Does that make a difference?

Equally, adjusting Volume Control (Headphones) on PS4 should adjust the Chat Audio volume, assuming Output to Headphones is set to Chat Audio. The X7 is still handling the rest of the audio via TOSlink, so adjusting Volume Control (Headphones) makes no difference to game audio. That's what I meant by "mixed" on the PS4 - turning Volume Control (Headphones) down should only affect Chat Audio.

In both cases, the X7 should handle the game / chat audio separately in the Mixer, given Chat is Mixer > Playback > Bluetooth and game audio is Mixer > Speakers.

I read your post like 10 times and each time I read it, I get the impression that you are saying that the "Output Device" is your game audio. Which it isn't. Its Chat only. I do not want my chat going through the Toslink. I want to separate it so I can mix the volume level of Chat and Game audio properly.

If you select TV or Av Amplifier for the Output Device, then the chat audio and the game audio are sent through the toslink together. There is no way to separate and properly mix them at this point.

Apologies, you're right...bum steer. Use BT-W2 as the Output Device or it can't be mixed on the X7. Incorrect assumption....always test!
« Last Edit: 02:10 AM - 01/26/16 by antithesis »

Offline XImember

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 06:50 PM - 02/19/16 »
Got my x7 Limited Edition today, and the BT-W2 as well. 

Hooking it up to my MMX 300's on lunch - so excited!

Hi there, I was following your status on this and I didn't see a result post. How did this pair work out for you?

Offline toxicthm

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 04:53 PM - 02/21/16 »
So to get voice chat on Xbox one can I use optical for game audio and a red and white cable from the controller for voice audio. Is that right.

Online antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 05:17 PM - 02/21/16 »
So to get voice chat on Xbox one can I use optical for game audio and a red and white cable from the controller for voice audio. Is that right.

Do you mean via the X7? What's your headset? Does it have separate audio and mic, or are they combined?

Game audio is piped via Optical to the X7, so you're on the right track there.
For chat, you could run a mic straight from the controller, e.g. Antlion ModMic, which bypasses the X7.

I've done a similar thing with my V-Moda BoomPro. For chat I use a Y-cable splitter and a short 3.5mm extension cable from the BoomPro mic jack to the XB1 controller.
Game audio pipes via Optical > X7 > headphones port > X2 cans.
So Y-cable audio goes to X7. Y-cable mic goes to controller.

I don't think I tried to get the X7's mic port working on XB, but it may be possible using a 3.5mm to RCA cable from the controller to the X7 line-in ports on the back, then the mic port from the X7 to the headset. I'd like to be able to confirm, but I've boxed up most of my gear in prep for a house move.