XIM Community

Sound Blaster X7 or...  (Read 23948 times)

Offline Archer444

• View Profile
Sound Blaster X7 or...
« on: 01:38 PM - 01/11/16 »
I'm starting to get the bug on upgrading my sound (current set up is 2013 Astro MixAmp with HD558 cans) and have a serious trigger finger ready to pull on the X7 based on all the reviews; however, I'm a bit apprehensive on the price vs. performance value compared to my MixAmp- is the gain worth the price?

I'd like to hear some feedback from the community members who have an X7- pros/cons?

I'm also curious to see how the Sound Blaster G5 will compare (released next month)- especially with a price of $150USD. Unfortunately it seems like it will be a wash for console gaming (seems like all the perks are for PC gaming).  :(

http://us.creative.com/p/sound-blaster/sound-blasterx-g5

Offline trenth

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: TrentHallmark
Re: Sound Blaster X7 or...
« Reply #1 on: 02:35 PM - 01/11/16 »
Buy the X7, the upgraded components in it should let you know that it's higher quality. Read the Headfi review.

Also buy it from Amazon, if you don't like it return it. I returned a mouse I didn't like and only lost 8$ on the transaction. (About the price of gas to go return it to the store).

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03:11 PM - 01/11/16 »
I'm a very happy X7 user. Kills the MixAmp (I have 3 of them) and will make it feel like your HD558 cans have been running on dummy mode.

Three issues I saw at a glance on the G5 -

1. No Dolby Digital decoder. SBX by itself isn't great for VSS and Scout Mode is all but useless for positional cues. DD + SBX = awesome.
2. No XB1 chat support. Not a big deal, simply run a mic from the controller.
3. No mixing. The PS4 requires the USB port, so does PC. So it's one or the other, not both.

#1 is potentially huge, but it'll depend on the quality of Acoustic Engine Pro.

Looks more like a side-grade from MixAmp rather than an upgrade. Spend the extra dough and get true all-in-one with the X7. Well...almost all-in-one - you might want the BT-W2 BlueTooth transceiver for PS4 chat.
« Last Edit: 03:33 PM - 01/11/16 by antithesis »

Offline RML

• MVP
  • L1vE DiFfeR3nT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03:20 PM - 01/11/16 »
There's no doubt that the features offered by the X7 will totally blow away your old setup. However, if you're not interested in it's features I wouldn't suggest buying the X7 if you're going to use 30ohm headphones "558's". It's overkill for those phones, trust me I have them. I can barely even turn it up lol.

The features are nice though.

Wireless BT control (makes it a great XIM4 companion)
listening to music and the game simultaneously
built in mic
equalizer
etc
etc
XB1 | C:M$ | XIM APEX | Latest | BenQ 24" Monitor | Pad: Steel Series 9HD | Sony Nav | A: Sennheiser 650's/Mod mic/Sound Blaster X7 | M: G502 | D: 4000 | P: 1000 | AAA Setup [on]

Advanced Settings Info - http://community.xim.tech/index.php?topic=41264.0
Anti Aim Assist curve set for ANY FPS Game - http://community.xim.tech/index.php?topic=49063.0
Destiny Advanced Setup - http://community.xim.tech/index.php?topic=39989.0
Battlefield 1 Setup - http://community.xim.tech/index.php?topic=50289.0

Offline Od1n

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03:56 PM - 01/11/16 »
i got the x7 and its pretty great, has a few bugs though but is worth the money if you have a need for most of its features
PS4 & X1 | C: MS | XIM4 | FW: the latest ofc! :) | Mon: BenQ XL2420Z | Pad: Zowie G-SR | KB: Ducky DK1008L Cherry Red O-Rings| A: AKG K701 Creative X7 Antlion Modmic | M: Zowie EC1-A | D: 3200 | P: 1000hz | BF4 4 HIP: 35 ADS: 20

Check out my Youtube Channel: XIMGameplay
Du sprichst Deutsch? Hier gehts zum deutschen Forum

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03:59 PM - 01/11/16 »
i got the x7 and its pretty great, has a few bugs though but is worth the money if you have a need for most of its features

I had teething issues, but they were all resolved by firmware upgrades. It's been rock-solid since.

Offline Od1n

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04:23 PM - 01/11/16 »
i got the latest firmware too but there still are a couple of issues with the unit, especially when used as an external soundcard
no big ones though but they add up
PS4 & X1 | C: MS | XIM4 | FW: the latest ofc! :) | Mon: BenQ XL2420Z | Pad: Zowie G-SR | KB: Ducky DK1008L Cherry Red O-Rings| A: AKG K701 Creative X7 Antlion Modmic | M: Zowie EC1-A | D: 3200 | P: 1000hz | BF4 4 HIP: 35 ADS: 20

Check out my Youtube Channel: XIMGameplay
Du sprichst Deutsch? Hier gehts zum deutschen Forum

Offline mfn_pie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 05:43 PM - 01/12/16 »
Someone posted over on head-fi that the G5 will get dolby support through a firmware upgrade in the very near future.

Offline Archer444

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 09:28 AM - 01/13/16 »
Someone posted over on head-fi that the G5 will get dolby support through a firmware upgrade in the very near future.

I saw that too- makes the decision that much harder.  :-\  I'll more than likely end up with a G5 if this ends up being true.

I agree Janki- I'll definitely hold out for a sale if I end up with the X7.

Offline Xenon

• MVP
  • Boo!
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: Xenonshot
« Reply #9 on: 08:01 AM - 01/14/16 »
x7 is great piece of kit no doubt but i personally think its a tad overpriced for what it is.
I rRrRR 133337Zorz

Offline nobodyfamous

• MVP
  • nerd with muscles
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 11:32 PM - 01/14/16 »
x7 ... worth the money i love mine
"If steroids and other performance enhancing drugs are illegal for athletes,
doesn't that mean you're cheating in eSports and should be banned ?"

Astro Mixamp Pro 2013 / Sennheiser HD598
BenQ RL2460HT / BenQ XL2430T
Logitech G303 / CM Quickfire Stealth (Reds)
Rode Procaster / Rode PSA1
Roland Quad-Capture / Adam F5's / Adam F8Sub

Offline GrenZeiram

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 05:56 PM - 01/15/16 »
Massdrop.com has the x7 for $299 if there are at least 20 people ordering. That's $100 off of what it normally is.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/creative-sound-blaster-x7-amp-dac-combo

This is the first time I've used that site, so I'll be interested in seeing how it goes.

-Gren

Offline Xenon

• MVP
  • Boo!
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: Xenonshot
« Reply #12 on: 11:10 AM - 01/17/16 »
x7 is great piece of kit no doubt but i personally think its a tad overpriced for what it is.

It's the only piece of kit to my knowledge that does what it does.

External, Bluetooth, simultaneous audio...and lets you adjust every audio connection separately and or mute any audio connection on the fly. 

There may be internal sound cards that can do all those things.

But if someone can point me to an external one with all of those features, an phone app, all the connectivity on the backside and at a cheaper price...I would be very grateful please point me in the right direction.

As I said don't fault the kit but i don't agree with the price either. Also depends on the sort of sound quality your looking for and if I was going to begin spending hundreds on a setup before even thinking about headphones I would much prefer separated  / dedicated hardware. Its the multitool of the audio scene.

Nothing wrong with using a multitool but i don't see an issue with being a slight audio purist if u start spending a tad more on setups.
I rRrRR 133337Zorz

Offline 1llest

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 01:48 PM - 01/17/16 »
Can you mix game/voice chat on the X7 like on the Mixamp?

Will be using my Fidelio X1 with Vmoda mic with it. What else would I need?

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 02:36 PM - 01/17/16 »
Can you mix game/voice chat on the X7 like on the Mixamp?

Will be using my Fidelio X1 with Vmoda mic with it. What else would I need?

Yes, you can mix game, chat, PC / Mac, BlueTooth audio etc all at once.

I have Fidelio X2 cans and a V-Moda BoomPro. To chat on PS4, get a Creative BT-W2 BlueTooth transceiver to enable the mic port on the X7 - the PS4 will now pick it up as a USB audio device. You'll also need a 3.5mm Y-cable splitter to separate the game and chat channels on the BoomPro. Both ports on the splitter plug into the X7.

To chat on XB1, a Y-cable splitter is again required. Plug the mic output into the XB1 controller and the audio into the X7. For 360, you'll also need a 3.5mm to 2.5mm adapter or cable. From memory, it was a little more convoluted than that, requiring not only a Y-cable splitter, but also a Y-cable joiner, just for the mic cable. I'll revisit the setup today to double-check.