XIM Community

Solved: Corsair STRAFE Keyboard enable BIOS mode exists!  (Read 22368 times)

Offline crazydave33

• View Profile
Hi there I have great news!
After talking to Corsair customer tech support about enabling BIOS mode on my Corsair STRAFE keyboard I was originally told this keyboard doesn't support BIOS mode. Thus if this didn't support BIOS mode, it won't receive inputs from the XIM 4. My Xim 4 detected that the keyboard was plugged in but just didn't accept the input. Now I finally figured out how to enable BIOS mode!

The Corsair customer tech support rep gave me a call back and told me there actually is a hidden BIOS mode available on this keyboard!

To enable it you need to press the top right Windows Lock key (not the bottom left windows key) and F1 at the same time. You hold both of them down together for 3 seconds and it will enter in BIOS mode.

Then you will see the Scroll Lock LED flashing to indicate you are in BIOS mode!

To get out of BIOS mode you have to just press and hold down the same button combo again for 3 seconds.

I have confirmed this and it works! Xim 4 recognizes the inputs!

Wow this is amazing! I'm so glad the tech support rep went out of his way to call me back and tell me about this. Very nice of him to do that.  So now if anyone own this keyboard I can indeed confirm it does work with the Xim 4. I went though hell trying to figure out how this works but I'm glad I now know.

Please spread the word if anyone else asks or link them to this post.

P.S. Not sure why this is so secretive from Corsair to enable BIOS mode.... you would think it was just be an option in the CUE software? But I guess they don't want people using this for some odd reason? So they made it a secret key combo. This secret key combo is listed NO WHERE in the instruction manual and my searches online turned out empty. That's just so odd right?
« Last Edit: 04:35 PM - 12/01/15 by crazydave33 »

Offline OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
Re: Solved: Corsair STRAFE Keyboard enable BIOS mode exists!
« Reply #1 on: 06:02 PM - 12/01/15 »
Thanks for reporting back on the solution. :)
Get the most out of your XIM APEX, read the XIM APEX Support FAQ.

Offline mist4fun

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06:06 PM - 12/01/15 »
That's great. I'll note that on the hardware list. Is this required for each startup or does it stay in memory?

P.S. Not sure why this is so secretive from Corsair to enable BIOS mode.... you would think it was just be an option in the CUE software? But I guess they don't want people using this for some odd reason? So they made it a secret key combo. This secret key combo is listed NO WHERE in the instruction manual and my searches online turned out empty. That's just so odd right?

Yes, that is odd. Their other keyboards have a physical polling/bios switch. To make it a button combination is strange but then to not mention it in the manual makes me wonder why they have it as a feature at all if nobody will know that it's there. Thanks for sharing.
Have a problem with your XIM4? Find a solution in the XIM4 Support FAQ
XIM4 User Manual   |   XIM Instructional Videos

Offline crazydave33

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07:05 PM - 12/01/15 »
That's great. I'll note that on the hardware list. Is this required for each startup or does it stay in memory?

Yes, that is odd. Their other keyboards have a physical polling/bios switch. To make it a button combination is strange but then to not mention it in the manual makes me wonder why they have it as a feature at all if nobody will know that it's there. Thanks for sharing.

I just checked and yes it stays in memory. Once you turn it on it will stay in BIOS mode until you turn it off even if you unplug it from Xim and reconnect it to PC or vice versa.

And yes it's so weird they didn't mention that option in the manual. Maybe they just forgot to write that part in? The only place I've seen it mention BIOS mode was on Corsair product page website under specification about the polling rate. I mentioned that to the tech guy at first and he though it was a typo on the website. He had to ask the Electrical Engineering team to find out that answer! lol.

I have to give him some major credit, he went out of his way to help me and then call me back hours later to inform me of the good news. Corsair has some great tech support!

Offline Od1n

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07:20 PM - 12/01/15 »
maybe this should be added to the compatibility list as an suggestion for the corsair keyboards
PS4 & X1 | C: MS | XIM4 | FW: the latest ofc! :) | Mon: BenQ XL2420Z | Pad: Zowie G-SR | KB: Ducky DK1008L Cherry Red O-Rings| A: AKG K701 Creative X7 Antlion Modmic | M: Zowie EC1-A | D: 3200 | P: 1000hz | BF4 4 HIP: 35 ADS: 20

Check out my Youtube Channel: XIMGameplay
Du sprichst Deutsch? Hier gehts zum deutschen Forum

Offline Js0uth

• View Profile
  • PSN ID: Js0uth626
« Reply #5 on: 01:55 AM - 01/11/16 »
Signed up just to say thank you!

I was tinkering around for an hour or so and was getting quite annoyed, then found this thread! Thank you!

Offline XImember

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 12:35 AM - 02/17/16 »
Hi Guys, i just bought this keyboard and was exited to hear that the hidden Bios mode was the solution.
Bad news is that after putting it into Bios mode i discovered that it still goes into power fault (red and yellow) mode.
However i have the silent RGB version ... Help?

Offline Od1n

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 03:08 AM - 02/17/16 »
what do you mean with power fault mode?
the keyboard goes into that mode?
or the xim goes into that mode?

anyhow what i assume is that your devices draw too much electricity from the single console usb port
add in an externally powered usb hub and everything should run perfectly :)
PS4 & X1 | C: MS | XIM4 | FW: the latest ofc! :) | Mon: BenQ XL2420Z | Pad: Zowie G-SR | KB: Ducky DK1008L Cherry Red O-Rings| A: AKG K701 Creative X7 Antlion Modmic | M: Zowie EC1-A | D: 3200 | P: 1000hz | BF4 4 HIP: 35 ADS: 20

Offline X_TWO_CASTLE_X

• View Profile
  • PSN ID: KELEVRA_C002
« Reply #8 on: 11:48 AM - 03/13/16 »
What I would LOVE to know is if the corsair strafe in BIOS mode can still have keys re-bind to any action. I've just got to hear someone say, yes you can re-bind and it remembers them in BIOS, I'm very nervous about a strafe having binding issues
« Last Edit: 12:04 PM - 03/13/16 by X_TWO_CASTLE_X »

Offline Od1n

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 08:04 PM - 03/13/16 »
oh wow great finding with the bios mode!
do all buttons work with the xim then so it can be put as working on the list? (well not all but the most important ones)

as to your question
usually when a keyboard runs bios mode it runs in a default mode where onboard memory key changes dont work as the keyboard layout needs to be default
though macros and other onboard stuff you did via the driver should still work

Offline oldmailmain

• View Profile
  • PSN ID: thepostaldave
« Reply #10 on: 04:24 PM - 08/28/16 »
Thanks so most for posting this. Just bought this keyboard and was so pissed. Worked like a charm now.

So what did you do with the second usb plug?

Offline mist4fun

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 04:37 PM - 08/28/16 »
Use it for extra power if needed.

Also, the latest build in release candidates may support this keyboard without using bios mode.

Offline errorist

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: Errorist
« Reply #12 on: 03:00 AM - 09/15/16 »
Use it for extra power if needed.

Also, the latest build in release candidates may support this keyboard without using bios mode.

I can confirm the latest RC doesn't support this keyboard out of bios mode. I wish it did. Scroll lock flashes while the keyboard is in bios mode and it's distracting.

Offline mist4fun

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 09:17 AM - 09/15/16 »
Sorry to hear that. In that case, Obsiv might want to know more about this keyboard. Could you send a device log using these instructions? Please include XIM4 in the title, keyboard name and the issue of it not working outside of bios mode. Mail the information to obsiv at xim4 com

http://cloud.xim4.com/Debug/XIM4DeviceLog.pdf

Thanks!

Offline jtsmith1978

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 03:43 PM - 03/11/17 »
Yay it worked!!!! Thanks for the help! 👍🏻