XIM Community

Game Keypad Concept  (Read 4833 times)

Offline killawink64

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • PSN ID: Fouldeth
Re: Game Keypad Concept
« Reply #15 on: 02:22 PM - 10/03/15 »
Okay, after more consideration I put more details into this one. I even put all the screw holes and connectors on, keys, etc. The only thing I am missing is actual measurements. Does anyone know of a good place online where I can get the case 3D printed? Otherwise I can make the prototype in wood.

In this design I got rid of the rotating wrist rest. Don't mind the batman icons on the keycaps (just a basic keycap pattern I found on tinkercad).

notice the cutouts for the wires, this will allow the analog stick to be swapped side to side. As for the thumb button, I think I will mirror it on both sides (this can give an extra button not used often).

In reality, the area with all of the mech switches will be longer and the area under the palm joints? will be less acreage. Notice I off set the outside column of keys so they are mirrored. I took this from the common speedpad designs.

I plan for this to used in conjunction with a teensy.  The intended analog stick im thinking of using is the psp one (not sure if its true analog or not).

I should be home by next weekend, would love to get started on the actual bit. I think the coding the teensy will be easy (I plan on just wiring the matrix. Not sure what the benefits are with a pcb).

Offline THE-MARAVINGY

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • PSN ID: THE-MARAVINGY
« Reply #16 on: 04:00 AM - 11/03/15 »
You could try making a clay model first just be sure its ergonomically comfortable may save you money before going to 3d print, designers would normally do this to check ergonomics even with all of todays tech and cad drawing aids they would still make a clay model before wasting valuable production materials.

Offline killawink64

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • PSN ID: Fouldeth
« Reply #17 on: 07:14 AM - 11/04/15 »
I plan to. I do these sketches as I'm usually on the road for work. Once I get a few weeks home, I'll use some clay to mock one up.

I managed to get a belkin nostromo n52 for cheap, put a teensy on it and made the keys mechanical. I put a ds3 type analog stick on, and it feels like it sticks out too far. Already have the psp stick at the house, just need to be home.... lol.

Offline Lex001

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: Lex 001
« Reply #18 on: 03:37 AM - 02/05/16 »
You have something good happening there...
I always thought it would be useful to have an analog stick housing in some sort of moveable gimbal mount so the individual user could adjust its position i.e. fwd/back/up/down/in/out/tilt you get the idea.
That way it can be shifted relative to the other keys or controls and be tailored for the user comfort, potentially quite complicated structurally I know but there must be a mechanical or electronic solution.
"Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience"

XIM4, G502, RoccT, Nav controller, NextBook M865, not enough time in the day...