XIM Community

Game Keypad Concept  (Read 4378 times)

Offline killawink64

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • PSN ID: Fouldeth
Game Keypad Concept
« on: 01:53 PM - 09/27/15 »
I have been reading Tuff's and Yeeshdale's gamepad ideas. I am on a trip for work and am bored, so decided to come up with my version of a gamepad that has mechanical switches, analog stick, and can be used for ambidextrous players.

Fairly simple design: Top middle box contains teensy. A 5 colums x 4 rows setup. A detachable wrist pad. The analog stick+space bar is a detachable piece (wire runs off teensy underneath pad, this allows the user to use the same wire for either side. The "bumps" on the top sides will be used as numbers/function keys. I wanted the wire to come out of the top.

Of course this hasn't been put to scale, it's a rough draft.  I don't have access to 3d printer (maybe christmas).  I am also new to coding, so there may be multiple issues with this design. Any comments/criticism is appreciated.

Offline Od1n

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
Re: Game Keypad Concept
« Reply #1 on: 02:23 PM - 09/27/15 »
i dont understand why most gamepads or gamepad concepts want to place the analogstick on the same level as the keyboard keys
thats extremly uncomfortable after a few minutes

its much better to place the analogstick 90 reversed to the keyboard keys, similar to how the n52te does it
this is not only more comfortable but also grants better precision as you dont need to stretch your thumb
the n52te still does it bad though as the analogstick isnt in line with the arm but has an angle to it forcing you to slightly stretch the thumb, itll be better if it was parallel to the arm and 90 to the keyboard keys

PS4 & X1 | C: MS | XIM4 | FW: the latest ofc! :) | Mon: BenQ XL2420Z | Pad: Zowie G-SR | KB: Ducky DK1008L Cherry Red O-Rings| A: AKG K701 Creative X7 Antlion Modmic | M: Zowie EC1-A | D: 3200 | P: 1000hz | BF4 4 HIP: 35 ADS: 20

Check out my Youtube Channel: XIMGameplay
Du sprichst Deutsch? Hier gehts zum deutschen Forum

Offline killawink64

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02:37 PM - 09/27/15 »
That did cross my mind. I have never used one so I am not sure comfortable it would be. I have other ideas as how to implement the analog stick. Thanks odin

Offline Au1d Yin

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04:59 AM - 09/28/15 »
i dont understand why most gamepads or gamepad concepts want to place the analogstick on the same level as the keyboard keys

its much better to place the analogstick 90 reversed to the keyboard keys, similar to how the n52te does it
this is not only more comfortable but also grants better precision as you dont need to stretch your thumb
the n52te still does it bad though as the analogstick isnt in line with the arm but has an angle to it forcing you to slightly stretch the thumb, itll be better if it was parallel to the arm and 90 to the keyboard keys

Completely agree, I'm putting together a tabletop/lapdesk project right now and the thumbstick positioning is making the build deep.

I'm finding that the thumb position is going to suit me at nearly the the same line of arm as the Belkin, but as you say, about 90 degrees to the desk would be better and more comfortable.

Offline Lord Of The Sith

• MVP
  • Made up from mostly non toxic materials.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05:40 AM - 09/28/15 »

Yea, agreed. I never wanted a stick, but I do have another similar design (much more compact) with the stick situated a bit like that, only thing is, getting around the space bar / big thumb button. (I prefer to have one). I don't really have the time or money to keep making revision MS to get the stick position right. It's the only thing putting me off adding one.
Click > Here < for my COD4:RM / BOPs3 XIM4 Setup.

XIM4: FAQ - Downloads - Hardware Compatibility

Offline killawink64

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09:43 AM - 09/28/15 »
Shall I pick up n52te to see what you guys are talking about? I made this out of theory, so maybe picking up one of these speedpad might show how far off I am.

Offline DomA

• View Profile
    • Youtube
  • PSN ID: DomAll
« Reply #6 on: 09:49 AM - 09/28/15 »
If I was building a keypad I don't think I'd bother with a stick, what are you using it for? movement? get a nav!

IMO they are pretty pointless on the keypad, focus on getting the keys in the right place for how you play and you won't need the stick.
PS3/PS4 2tb - XIM4 - G502 - Nav - Optoma HD141X - HD598 - Mixamp - Hauppauge HD PVR Rocket

http://www.twitch.tv/snafudom/
https://www.youtube.com/user/snafudom/

Offline DomA

• View Profile
    • Youtube
« Reply #7 on: 09:51 AM - 09/28/15 »
For the thumb, why not try for a space button and a shift button?
PS3/PS4 2tb - XIM4 - G502 - Nav - Optoma HD141X - HD598 - Mixamp - Hauppauge HD PVR Rocket

Offline W11cE

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 11:38 AM - 09/28/15 »
If I was building a keypad I don't think I'd bother with a stick, what are you using it for? movement? get a nav!

IMO they are pretty pointless on the keypad, focus on getting the keys in the right place for how you play and you won't need the stick.
Best from both worlds. Analog movement and cherry keys.

Offline killawink64

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 03:04 PM - 09/28/15 »
The saitek cyborg command unit has an analog inline with the arm, and 90 degrees from the keyboard. Is this a good example of analog placement? http://www.amazon.com/Saitek-PZ31A-Cyborg-Command-Unit/dp/B000BU0F5Y/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1443473786&sr=1-1&keywords=Saitek+Pro+Gamer+CYBORG+Command+Unit

Offline Od1n

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 07:23 PM - 09/28/15 »
The saitek cyborg command unit has an analog inline with the arm, and 90 degrees from the keyboard. Is this a good example of analog placement? http://www.amazon.com/Saitek-PZ31A-Cyborg-Command-Unit/dp/B000BU0F5Y/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1443473786&sr=1-1&keywords=Saitek+Pro+Gamer+CYBORG+Command+Unit

yeah thats a pretty good placement imo
PS4 & X1 | C: MS | XIM4 | FW: the latest ofc! :) | Mon: BenQ XL2420Z | Pad: Zowie G-SR | KB: Ducky DK1008L Cherry Red O-Rings| A: AKG K701 Creative X7 Antlion Modmic | M: Zowie EC1-A | D: 3200 | P: 1000hz | BF4 4 HIP: 35 ADS: 20

Check out my Youtube Channel: XIMGameplay
Du sprichst Deutsch? Hier gehts zum deutschen Forum

Offline killawink64

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 08:01 PM - 09/29/15 »
Here is an updated idea of the speedpad. The palm/wrist rest will swing from side to side, and lock into place depending if you are left or right handed. The stick will pop off and pop on either side. Still working out "space bar" . Still working on it.

Offline drmeltdown

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 10:12 PM - 09/29/15 »
I have an old one of these in the closet. I really liked its design for PC usage. It's listed as not working in the hardware list. Anyone know if there are any plans to add support for it?

Offline Lord Of The Sith

• MVP
  • Made up from mostly non toxic materials.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 03:50 AM - 09/30/15 »
Looking good killawink
Click > Here < for my COD4:RM / BOPs3 XIM4 Setup.

XIM4: FAQ - Downloads - Hardware Compatibility

Offline DomA

• View Profile
    • Youtube
« Reply #14 on: 12:30 PM - 10/01/15 »
Do you know if the Saitek thumpad can rotate around the rod? if so that might be a good option.

Your updated design looks really good!