XIM Community

Attempting to build a Keypad. (Copying Tuff xD jokes.)  (Read 9854 times)

Offline Lord Of The Sith

• MVP
  • Made up from mostly non toxic materials.
    • View Profile
Well probably since I got into keyboard and mouse gaming, I've always hated the amount of desk real estate you loose with full sized keyboards. It took me some years to bite the bullet and buy a tenkeyless. The idea being that it was still functional for everyday PC needs, and compact enough (or so I thought) for gaming, while allowing me the mouse space I needed for my playstyle.

It's still not my ideal setup, I know that a smaller keypad would benefit me. I knew this the second I bought myself a Razer Orbweaver Keypad..

Unfortunately the layout was uncomfortable for me, and was so far from regular WASD gaming, that it left me wondering if I would ever need to relearn WASD should this pad break (which felt flimsy to me).

I've since been on the hunt for the perfect Keypad, and non have roused my interests, they all either look too complex to be ergonomically comfortable (like they tried too hard, case in point the Orbweaver). Or they have a great many features that I'd be paying for that I would never use. But for the most part, they just look cheap and nasty.

So, where does that leave me? Well recently Tuffrabbit started down the route of making his own keypad, something that will hopefully please a great many XIM users of both left and right handed abilities.

See here: http://xim4.com/community/index.php?topic=40201.0

This (thanks Tuff) has inspired me to make my perfect Keypad, even if i'm the only person who ever uses it, I'll be very happy indeed if I can make something compact, familiar, functional, and possibly something that looks nice.

I can tell you now, i already have "A LOT" of ideas! It took me to mock up my initial idea of a Keypad for the flood gates to open. I'll be in a constant state of refinement until I find something that I know, without any bovine excrement is something that I will use and enjoy.

I can have most of (90%) of all of this built at my Local "FABLAB" on weekends..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fab_lab

I have a list of things i need to work through / figure out. (There will be a lot more no doubt, but right now, these are the things that are worrying me / holding me back, and i'm sure they're pretty simple too!)

-1- Whether it's a wire matrix i go with or a PCB how can i get the correct hole measurement (Cherry MX H pattern) into Tinkercad? So i can make a mock design to print in MDF..

-2- How to secure the switch board to the main case/shell?

-3- Reading around i see there are "Keyboard Firmwares" in various places "github".. can i make these work for a half keyboard? or would need a custom one? How technical are they to make?

-4- over all case/shell height..

I feel like once i have 1, 2, & 4 figured out i can go ahead and make a solid 3D Model to take long to my local FABLAB and have it either 3D printed or Laser cut.

@1 I found some 3D renders of Cherry MX switches on Thingiverse, currently using these to make the holes. (@Tuff if you're reading this, did you make that switch mounting plate yourself?)

(https://www.tinkercad.com/things/0oRmgFzjFJl-copy-of-cherry-mx-tight-fit-socket)

@2 Could do layers and have the switch plate sandwiched in between that outer case/shell.

@3 Probably the thing that will bring all of this crashing down.

@4 Using switches from Thingiverse i mentioned earlier to try and get a rough idea, but still need to take into consideration the teensy and wiring..

Any suggestions on the above problems are welcome.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++UPDATE++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Little update with my newer design.

PWNPAD 2.0

After a base plate of 3mm Aluminium i should be left with 12mm of space for wiring.
Also left 2mm on the top for a rim of some sort.

Showing a bit more of what it will end up being like, No where near finished, but it will have this basic shape at least i think..

++++++++++++++++++++

Made a little more progress tonight, i think i have the design down..
I just need to mess around more with the MX switch holes.

(there is 4mm between each hole atm, and that leaves a big gap between the keycaps.. realistically i want around a 1mm gap)

« Last Edit: 04:59 PM - 09/16/15 by YEESH_DALE »
Click > Here < for my COD4:RM / BOPs3 XIM4 Setup.

XIM4: FAQ - Downloads - Hardware Compatibility

Offline Duke3d

• View Profile
Re: Attempting to build a Keypad. (Copying Tuff xD jokes.)
« Reply #1 on: 12:48 PM - 09/15/15 »
Unfortunately the layout was uncomfortable for me, and was so far from regular WASD gaming,

+1
sudo apt-get install GoldenPistol

Offline Lord Of The Sith

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05:08 PM - 09/16/15 »
Update:

Looking forward to either this weekend or the next, to take this to FABLAB and see what they say.
I've only left myself with 6mm inside the case, which i know isn't enough.

But as it stands, without the switches the case is only 16mm in height.
I could house the teensy in the wrist rest and maybe i could lower it more?

I red online the teensy would need 6mm to lay flat. But i'd have a lot of wire in there as well as the solder points, i don't know just yet how much they will protrude...

All that being said, i'm happy with the design, colors are yet to be determined.
But the black and green would go with my Razer Death Adder..

Hmm 

Offline toqy

• MVP
  • (✌゚∀゚)☞ ( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10:38 PM - 09/16/15 »
Just buy a keyboardio when they come out
That "natural curve" you [roads] are talking about was me taking a wild guess what the game was doing (which was completely wrong of course).

😂😂😭

Offline Lord Of The Sith

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12:46 AM - 09/17/15 »

Far too big, and I don't do enough typing to justify a 300 keyboard.. I spent around 75 on my CM Storm QF Rapid it serves me well enough.

Offline toqy

• MVP
  • (✌゚∀゚)☞ ( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 04:26 AM - 09/17/15 »

Far too big, and I don't do enough typing to justify a 300 keyboard.. I spent around 75 on my CM Storm QF Rapid it serves me well enough.

Depending your hourly wage you probably already have m8 [emoji19]
That "natural curve" you [roads] are talking about was me taking a wild guess what the game was doing (which was completely wrong of course).

😂😂😭

Offline Lord Of The Sith

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 05:19 AM - 09/17/15 »
Well yea, I've types a lotta @#$% on these forums over the years..

I'll take three bud ;)

Offline tuffrabit

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
    • tuffrabit's Twitch.tv channel
  • Gamertag: TuFFrabit
« Reply #7 on: 05:37 AM - 09/17/15 »
Switch mounting plate?  You mean the PCB for the Narwhal?  Yes... I designed that in CAD and had a chinese company print PCB's for me.

XIM4 Anti Aim-assist curve: http://xim4.com/community/index.php?topic=31309.msg400143#msg400143
All you ever wanted to know about headsets and chat for the 360: http://www.xim3.com/community/index.php?topic=16461.0

Offline Lord Of The Sith

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 05:50 AM - 09/17/15 »
Yes the switch mounting plate. 

Well from reading a couple "How to build your own key board" tutorials online, I was under the assumption that you either have a full PCB board custom made OR you make a switch mounting plate if you're doing a wire matrix..

Offline ViolaMB

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: ViolaMB
« Reply #9 on: 05:34 PM - 09/18/15 »
Are making one only for yourself (how selfish) or are we gonna be able to buy this someday?  ;D
XB1-S | XIM4 | BenQ RL2755HM | Turtle beach EarForce Sentinel | Turtle beach DSS2 | Logitech G502 |

Offline mist4fun

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 05:52 PM - 09/18/15 »
I would imagine they would only do batch orders and at the cost required to make this it would make more sense to sell off the batch to make his money back.
Have a problem with your XIM4? Find a solution in the XIM4 Support FAQ
XIM4 User Manual   |   XIM Instructional Videos

Offline toqy

• MVP
  • (✌゚∀゚)☞ ( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 05:02 AM - 09/19/15 »
Well if he's not getting a pcb made he might be able to get just one 3d printed cheapish

😂😂😭

Offline Lord Of The Sith

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 05:04 AM - 09/19/15 »
Well if he's not getting a pcb made he might be able to get just one 3d printed cheapish

I have no idea what I'm doing really xD, but there is a place in my area that helps people bring things like this to life.

So it may be something I could make more than one of, but I'll need to figure this all out first.

Offline tuffrabit

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
    • tuffrabit's Twitch.tv channel
  • Gamertag: TuFFrabit
« Reply #13 on: 07:25 AM - 09/20/15 »
You are best off having your switches physically mounted to your 3d printed enclosure and then point to point wiring a switch matrix on the under side. Figuring out a custom pcb or mounting plate will just be extra and unnecessary work for the numbers your are probably thinking about producing.

XIM4 Anti Aim-assist curve: http://xim4.com/community/index.php?topic=31309.msg400143#msg400143
All you ever wanted to know about headsets and chat for the 360: http://www.xim3.com/community/index.php?topic=16461.0

Offline Lord Of The Sith

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 09:47 AM - 11/16/15 »
Should have an update for this after XMAS, its not dead nor forgotten about. My plate is too full to tackle this ATM though.