XIM Community

Custom Desk Project  (Read 5687 times)

Offline V3n0m15

• MVP
    • View Profile
Custom Desk Project
« on: 08:21 PM - 10/18/14 »
About a month ago i had made this post and i tried going over the top creative with a custom gaming desk.  Well then i realized the work it would involve and it wouldn't evolve very well for new products. Due to that observation I went with a more simplistic form equals function outlook on designing and building this desk. I also found a plan on instructables that was very similar to what I was looking for so I took that design and modified it to my needs

Now its a very simple design and if you already have tools this thing should only run you about $50-$100 which for the desk space and quality (depending on what wood you purchase) its totally worth it.

Now on to what you will need for materials:

1-  3/4 in 4' x 8' piece of plywood. (I used birch)
2- 2x4 at 96in
1- A box of screws (ensure to get screws that are the right length)
1- Stain of your choice (or paint)
1- polyurethane (if you use stain)
1- wood filler

Tools:
Circular saw
Orbital sander (optional or hand sand)
Drill
Router (optional)

Here are some progress pictures and once its all done I'll give more of a step by step explanation on how it is I did everything so that you can do it also if you so choose.

Here is a picture of the pieces cut to size for the desk project. I will also post a picture of how I cut the plywood for this project. I had the people at the big orange box cut the plywood for me that way it was more even and very straight. They normally will do all the cuts for free or if anything charge you a dollars per cut after the first two, in my case they were free.

This is the back assembly completed with the 2x4s attached by wood screws. In my case the back of the desk will always be against a wall so I wasn't concerned with screws showing.

The side portions of the desk were pretty easy to put together but I would suggest using a little wood glue to attach the 2x4 then screw it in on the sides... If you want to hide the screws more I would suggest drilling into the board the diameter of the screw head then screw from the outside into the 2x4. Once the screw is set into the wood use some wood filler to conceal the screws.

This is a photo of how the sides and the back assemblies will attach to one another at the end of the project.

This is optional but I used a 1/2 round router bit in order to get this rounded off finished look to the desk top. If you have a router I suggest it if not its not completely necessary just be sure to sand down the edges and use wood filler to fill in any holes or blemishes along the edge.

Here is a before the stain picture.

After stain picture

Here is the stain that I am using for my project.

I am going to polyurethane the desk today and I will take pictures of the end result tonight and hopefully if the drying times are quick I could possibly have this thing assembled and rocking this evening!
« Last Edit: 07:00 AM - 11/13/14 by V3n0m15 »
XBox One, XIM4, Logitech G502, Razer Orbweaver, Behringer Xenyx 802 audio Mixer, DSS1, Audio-Technica ATH-AD500X, Boom XLR Microphone, KVM Switch, Razer Goliathus Speed Mat

Offline Xog

• MVP
  • Yarr! Hand over yer goods, or yer dead!
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
  • Gamertag: Pirate Bandito
Re: Custom Desk Project
« Reply #1 on: 10:12 PM - 10/18/14 »
posted  by colb: make sure you have one of these for cables:

I would suggest not having all ur wires run within an closed box along the entire width of the desk, that might get ugly in terms of tangling.

Offline V3n0m15

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06:32 PM - 10/26/14 »
So I figured out how to make a desk with just one piece of plywood and two pieces of 2x4... Granted not that fancy but pretty large and cheap
XBox One, XIM4, Logitech G502, Razer Orbweaver, Behringer Xenyx 802 audio Mixer, DSS1, Audio-Technica ATH-AD500X, Boom XLR Microphone, KVM Switch, Razer Goliathus Speed Mat

Offline V3n0m15

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03:59 AM - 11/13/14 »
Alright I updated the first post and starting to give the play by play on how I am assembling the desk

Offline tails72

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04:50 AM - 11/13/14 »
looks awesome!!!

Offline V3n0m15

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 05:04 AM - 11/13/14 »
Thanks I appreciate that!

Offline V3n0m15

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 03:36 PM - 11/15/14 »
The finished product! I'll take shots of the cable management when I get the chance I attached everything to the backside of the back panel

Offline tails72

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 05:22 PM - 11/15/14 »
Omg. Is that a berhinger 802 mixer. I soooo want one :-)

Offline V3n0m15

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 05:24 PM - 11/15/14 »
Yea it is I love it I'm getting my mic and scissor boom on Monday and Tuesday... I will take more pictures of my setup if you want... I also am getting the XIM4 for Christmas so I might do a video of my game room

Offline V3n0m15

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 07:40 PM - 11/15/14 »
Just picked up this bad boy today off Craigslist! Can't wait to give it a ride!

Offline V3n0m15

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 09:32 AM - 11/16/14 »
Here is my cable management behind my desk! It looks insane but when I pull my desk fully out to install my Microphone w/ scissor boom then I will take a straight shot from the back so you get a better view. I'll also show my little folder clip technique I found online for cable management as well.

« Last Edit: 03:30 AM - 11/17/14 by V3n0m15 »

Offline sikpup

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • ReesSpecht Life
  • Gamertag: Sikpup
  • PSN ID: sik-pup
« Reply #11 on: 08:50 AM - 11/18/14 »
that is awesome.  I need to build my own desk.  Put all those damned tools to good use.
Science without experimentation is a vain and unprofitable pursuit

Offline V3n0m15

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 06:17 PM - 11/18/14 »
The finishing touches are almost done now I'll take a better picture of cable management and the boom mic installed... Also XIM4 arrives on MONDAY!

Offline V3n0m15

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 08:42 PM - 11/18/14 »
It is complete (minus the XIM4 arrival and install). I was going to put the XIM3 in there as a joke but didn't end up doing it haha.

Cable Management ... aka beautiful disaster haha

This is my cable management under the desk top

Here is a front view showing how well the cable management both in the back and under the desk work... No cables here!!!

And last but certainly not least here is a angle view of the desk in all its glory!

I hope who ever viewed and commented on the desk enjoyed the evolution of it all and if you have any comments or questions feel free to ask away!

Offline Lex001

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: Lex 001
« Reply #14 on: 01:19 AM - 11/22/14 »
Really nice work there, looks to have turned out well.
It is great having a project like this, dream it up and plan it in your head, find a problem, fix a problem and then at the end there is something to be proud of, bravo  ;)
"Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience"

XIM4, G502, RoccT, Nav controller, NextBook M865, not enough time in the day...