XIM Community

Nostromo/Orbweaver MOD  (Read 3065 times)

billy_brocore

Nostromo/Orbweaver MOD
« on: 04:06 PM - 08/10/14 »
Hey Guys, I've been wanting to mod my Nostromo since day one. It seems that a lot of people here share the same idea. Mouse and Keyboard are great, but digital input for movement is not. I'm about to purchase all the items to mod my controller. My goal is to help anyone get on the right track starting from scratch. I will be documenting the whole process of building a complete single cable mod based on the Teensyduino(or equivalent) solely. Also I'm open to any and all suggestions and feedback. Shoutout to Tuffrabit for pointing me in the right direction and answering my questions.

So to start off I apologize to start with because I still have a few questions, and I hope this is the right portion of the forums to post this.  :-\

EDIT: I would also like to implement haptic feedback. Vivitouch has a nice flat sensor that would work great under the palm rest.

1. What is the minimum clock speed you can get away with this mod? The Teensy is great but it's overclockable to 96MHz that's more than the SNES. If you can get away with a lesser CPU there are cheaper options.

2. The coding. Is there a link on here or a sketch already assembled that is built for 20keys/Analog stick/ and five way tactical switch? I've seen W11CE's tutorial. I've also seen the example sketches in Arduino IDE also after loading the Teensy libraries. What I haven't seen is a complete sketch that can be copy and pasted into the Arduino IDE. Basically a one and done- tested and debugged code ready to go. (I'm trying to make the sketches as efficient as possible to run on smaller CPU sizes.) I want to make a custom sketch and post it on bitbucket or bithub for everyone- if something like that doesn't exist.

Basically I would like to have a listing like this:
Hardware Control Unit    Configuration type
NostromoTeensy 3.1   14Key/Analog stick
NostromoArduino Micro   Analog stick only
OrbweaverTeensy 3.1   20Keys/5 way switch/Analog stick

So that way people just select the sketch that's ready to go for their hardware and the configuration they choose. Just assemble it and program it.

Once these questions are answered I can move forward completely, and build and document the process.
Many thanks to all the people that blazed the trail to make this possible especially, Roads and W11cE. #legends

Offline W11cE

• MVP
    • View Profile
Re: Nostromo/Orbweaver MOD
« Reply #1 on: 06:08 PM - 08/10/14 »
Legends :o I want that text to my profile :D

1. What does clock speed has to do with anything? Yeah, its a little overkill for something this simple, but its the simplest solution. It costs ~$20, which is still cheap. (And 96MHz is not the highest, 168MHz is for now and i think even that is not the possible max).

2. The code is so simple that is easier to wire the buttons first to compatible pins and then change correct pins to code. That way there is not even proper wiring diagram needed.

I have done the correct usb types for teensy 3 and 3.1 and im not planning on doing it to other boards. There does not even exist that many boards with customizable hardware usb connection. The ones i can think of (except T3 and 3.1) are Teensy 2.0 and 2.0++, Arduino Due, Esplora, Leonardo and micro. So there are not even good alternatives.

There exist V-USB library that allows software usb connection for any board (even ATtiny), but i see no reason why that would be used instead of native usb connection.

So what are you worried about (the most)? Wiring or the code?

billy_brocore

« Reply #2 on: 11:02 AM - 08/11/14 »
You just answered everything that I wanted to know. Thanks.  ;D

I was more concerned with using a different board and seeing if you could get away with a slower clock speed. The only option that would work with the Nostromo is the Atmel ATmega328, and it only barely works for that- only has 14 digital inputs.

Offline W11cE

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11:41 AM - 08/11/14 »
So are you planning on doing your own board with specific chip or why ATmega328 ?

Offline W11cE

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12:22 PM - 08/11/14 »
N52te does not use thin ribbon cables, but in this case when you are replacing everything it doesnt matter that much. If you live in US, you can ask abc123. According to his sig he still has 86 available.

Offline roads

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 01:47 PM - 08/11/14 »
WASD Keyboards has them with blank keys. To be honest I would love if someone would design and print a  better hull than the N52te and the Orbweaver. Nothing is needed from those gameing pads other than the casing. Nothing. Take the Teensy, the Joystick and a bunch of keys and pin them to a potato if you like. Can do the same as the Orbweaver, N52te and G13.
RookCheck: Relax, no one is attacking you personally.

Offline tuffrabit

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
    • tuffrabit's Twitch.tv channel
  • Gamertag: TuFFrabit
« Reply #6 on: 12:53 PM - 08/12/14 »
I have complete working code sketches for different scenarios.  Even a keyboard matrix discovery sketch, so you don't have to keep track of what wires you solder to what pins.

XIM4 Anti Aim-assist curve: http://xim4.com/community/index.php?topic=31309.msg400143#msg400143
All you ever wanted to know about headsets and chat for the 360: http://www.xim3.com/community/index.php?topic=16461.0

Offline W11cE

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 05:23 PM - 08/12/14 »
If you have diodes in the matrix you have 50% change to wire it reversed. If that happens you have to reverse rows with columns in code.

Offline nick123194

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: nick123194
  • PSN ID: nick123194
« Reply #8 on: 09:04 AM - 12/17/16 »
Hello Guys sorry for bringing up such an old post, but I was wondering @W11cE or @tuffrabit if y'all had a modded orbweaver for sale? I spoke to R3mix and he told me you were the guys to go to for mods. please pm me or reply back! Thanks