XIM Community

Vehicle Turning Tips  (Read 81515 times)

Offline mist4fun

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
Vehicle Turning Tips
« on: 12:52 PM - 06/23/14 »
This thread is a suggestion on how to overcome a slow look mechanic that is sometimes seen in alternate aiming modes. The dead zone, acceleration, or even the entire look mechanic may be different between the player look mechanic and the alternate look mechanic such as a vehicle, turret, or killstreak.

XIM4 allows you to have six setting pages per config. By default you are using one or two settings depending on which game you are playing. By moving to a blank setting page and giving it a name you can create a new setting switch that may help in overcoming a slow look mechanic. Activation of this new setting can be set to toggle or hold.

Alternatively, XIM4 allows you to bind the right stick to individual keyboard keys that peg the analog stick when the key is held. Right Stick mapping can be found in the Keyboard->Advanced section of your config. There is also a feature named Turn Assist that when either toggled or held will peg the analog stick in the direction movement until deactivated. Turn Assist can be found in the Mouse->Advanced section of your config.

Turn Assist

Right Stick

Here is an example of using a new setting that uses an acceleration curve to aid in turning. This can be useful with vehicles and turrets. This curve adds acceleration halfway through your swipe allowing you to retain linear movement for the first half of your swipe and have accelerated movement for the rest.

Code: [Select]
>>> XIM4 [Mouse Ballistics] START PASTE >>>
X4MB:AAAAGgA0AC4AMAAwAC4AMgAwADEANgAwADQAMAA1AAoUHigyPEZQWmR0iaXIyMjIyMjI:X4MB
<<< XIM4 END PASTE <<<

Here is a more aggressive curve that uses a lot of acceleration throughout your swipe.

Code: [Select]
>>> XIM4 [Mouse Ballistics] START PASTE >>>
X4MB:AAAAGgA0AC4AMAAwAC4AMgAwADEANQAwADYAMAA2AAwgN1R1ncjIyMjIyMjIyMjIyMjI:X4MB
<<< XIM4 END PASTE <<<

To test either one of these curves you must first copy the entire code shown and then in the Manager app click the down arrow button below the curve graph. To revert to default click the diagonal line to the right of the graph. You may find one of these curves useful or you may find that you needs something in between. I suggest that you experiment with the steepness of the curve to find what works best for you.

Boost is useful when having to compensate for a deadzone size difference between the ST used in the config and the unsupported look mechanic. You may only need to use boost if you find that a fine aiming has issues. If movement does not occur with very small movements then boost could help. Less is more with boost, use small values such as 500-1000. Once you have found a range that compensates for the movement issue you can begin dialing this in by adding or subtracting smaller boost values. I do not recommend using boost unless the look mechanic requires it.

YX Ratio can be useful to change the speed of either axis. 1.0 is default, going lower than this will decrease the speed of the Y axis, going higher will increase the speed of the Y axis.

-

If you have optimal settings that you would like to share please leave it below and include the game and what the setting is intended for (soldier, tank, jet, turret, helicopter, ect)

search tags: Battlefield, BF4, Call of Duty, CoD, Halo, H5, Destiny, Overwatch, OW, Titanfall, TF,  vehicle turning, slow turning
« Last Edit: 01:57 PM - 08/20/16 by mist4fun »
Have a problem with your XIM4? Find a solution in the XIM4 Support FAQ
XIM4 User Manual   |   XIM Instructional Videos

Offline mist4fun

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
Re: Vehicle turning tips and library
« Reply #1 on: 12:59 PM - 06/23/14 »
Old information since the BF4 vehicle update but still may be useful

---

Battlefield 4 - PS4/X1 - Primary weapons for all ground vehicles

Hip ST
Boost: 3850 (PS4), 3980 (X1)
YX Ratio: .85
Curve: >>> XIM4 [Mouse Ballistics] START PASTE >>>
X4MB:AAAAGgA0AC4AMAAwAC4AMgAwADEANQAwADYAMAA2AAwgN1R1ncjIyMjIyMjIyMjIyMjI:X4MB
<<< XIM4 END PASTE <<<

http://imgur.com/a/NYMoW#1
« Last Edit: 05:37 PM - 08/23/16 by mist4fun »

Offline gduck24

• View Profile
    • Make Mod Hack
  • Gamertag: grayskuii
« Reply #2 on: 02:46 PM - 06/23/14 »
just for fun - what is your mouse dpi and sensitivity on this BF4 set up?

*edit - saw sensitivity is 40. default?   What about the activation.  I have two configs so I can toggle on with one button and double bind the other to exit.  What is the logic for sub configs.  If I bind my exit key and the main config hotkey will it deactivate the sub config key?
« Last Edit: 03:17 PM - 06/23/14 by gduck24 »
I gotta quit welding in flip flops...

Offline mist4fun

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03:38 PM - 06/23/14 »
Sensitivity and DPI scale is more subjective in my opinion. Others are welcome to leave theirs if they like but I think that's what should be user defined and should scale up or down between user preference. Just to kill curiousity though this is at 3600 dpi and 40 sensitivity.

To exit a setting that isn't ADS you need to either toggle it's activation key again or press the config's hotkey. In the case of my above BF4 example I would need to press either F10 or T to return to Hip. Yes grouping your enter/exit vehicle button with the switch key (T) should activate both each time.
« Last Edit: 03:43 PM - 06/23/14 by mist4fun »

Offline gduck24

• View Profile
    • Make Mod Hack
« Reply #4 on: 04:01 PM - 06/23/14 »
Got it. 

I agree with you too on sensitivity, but we need to get in the ball park for new guys.  Say they are very low or high sense, then these settings would certainly help but they still might be struggling with redlining etc. 

This is close to what I am at except your boost is higher and my curve goes negative at the start.  My dpi is 8k and sense is 35 so that may be where I catch up.  I'll fiddle with it more tonight and see if I can get close to this. 

Offline mist4fun

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 04:08 PM - 06/23/14 »
Whatever works for you. One thing that is less subjective than other values is boost. The value will vary between games and look mechanics.

Open a vanilla setting, no boost, no curve, no yx ratio. Hop in a tank as the driver, set your sensitivity to 1.0 or even .1-.5. Start moving your mouse slowly and you will notice you see no movement. Increase boost as much as necessary until you see movement. Dial it down/up until you find the line where movement starts/stops with boost. You are essentially finding the new deadzone. This is how I came up with 3850 (PS4), 3980 (X1). It is the difference in deadzone between hip and vehicle. Now this is the minimum value you should be using, use a higher value to inflate this for a different (faster) feel. I personally prefer only using boost to make up for the difference.

Offline killawink64

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • PSN ID: Fouldeth
« Reply #6 on: 01:00 PM - 06/25/14 »
Thanks for the information. I think I am still foggy about the idea behind sub configs. I understand the point that Hip and ADS are technically (or are) sub configs. I see in the picture showing activation (I didn't realize you could keep swiping), what is the point of doing this? Is it like on the Xim Edge when making a turn assist profile? You have your main sensitivity and settings, but for certain turns you would activate this to assist?

I am still playing on the ps3, soon I will get the ps4. In the mean time I am trying to figure out good profiles for tanks. I can fly pretty well for the most part (I'm no ACE). Do these settings (like boost of 3850) only apply on the next gen? Or are the old gens pretty close as well? Sorry for my ignorance, I only got a xim edge earlier this year and never messed with the xim3.

Offline gduck24

• View Profile
    • Make Mod Hack
« Reply #7 on: 01:33 PM - 06/25/14 »
Right mouse for ads is a sub config.  Rmb activates the sub config and your sensitivity changes, and if you wished,  other buttons would change.  Creating another sub config with boost and higher sensitivity would do the same thing.  Only thing is you would want to change the activation to toggle so that you won't have to hold down that button the whole time to stay in your vehicle sub config.

Offline mist4fun

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 01:46 PM - 06/25/14 »

In addition to what gduck said above, other uses are

-An entirely new key bind while the new setting is activated. This would be useful in games like BC2 where the vehicle forward/back/aim/shoot buttons were not traditional. You could not drive with your soldier config so having the ability to set new binds while remaining in the same config is great.

-Flipping the sticks. Right stick on keyboard, left stick on mouse. This is sometimes useful for games that use weapon wheels.

-A setting for each vehicle or vehicle class

Settings, or sub configs as people have been calling them are quite useful when a vanilla config isn't enough.

Offline killawink64

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 09:19 AM - 06/26/14 »
Okay yeah, that is what I have been using it for on the ps3 BF4 tank setup. For hip the sensitivity is like 3850 for accurate shots, but when I need to do a 180-360 I put in a sub config to hold bound to spacebar to allow me for a faster turn. I can now do those turn with slow movement but within an inch or two mouse movement.

I wish game console developers would implement the option to turn off and on the max turn speed limit. I think that would help me greatly, as it would feel more like the turn speeds on PC. Thanks again.

Offline KJabs

• View Profile
    • COD Problems - Coming soon!
  • Gamertag: KJabs
« Reply #10 on: 12:24 PM - 07/17/14 »
I guess I'm just weird ... whenever I play BF3 and get in a vehicle I just pick up my controller and use that.
- KJabs
www.CODProblems.com - coming soon!

---
-Xbox ONE Day One - finally using with XIM4!!
---
-XIM4: $125
-XIM3: $150
-Logitech G9x: Free, cuz I'm awesome
-Belkin Nostromo Gamepad: super cheap at CompUSA store closeout years ago
-Genuine 360 Wired Controller: $30
-Improved MW K/D: PRICELESS.

Offline mist4fun

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 01:46 PM - 07/17/14 »
And there is nothing wrong with that. Some people just prefer doing whatever is necessary to use the peripheral they prefer, or are physically unable to use a controller and XIM4s advanced configuration options make that possible.

Offline killawink64

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 09:59 PM - 07/21/14 »
I have a dilemma: my settings are where i like it. I am having problems with helping my brother. He is a hi sensitivity pc player. Everything i try to say to make settings better to his liking seems to end too slow. He is using a mad catz 5 5600 dpi mouse. The mai. Problem comes when he uses a vehicle, too slow for turning. Are there any advice on what could be done to achieve an accurrate fast control for the xim?

We are using the ballistic curve and settings from this post

Online solly

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: Solicitor 501
« Reply #13 on: 10:26 AM - 07/22/14 »
I have a dilemma: my settings are where i like it. I am having problems with helping my brother. He is a hi sensitivity pc player. Everything i try to say to make settings better to his liking seems to end too slow. He is using a mad catz 5 5600 dpi mouse. The mai. Problem comes when he uses a vehicle, too slow for turning. Are there any advice on what could be done to achieve an accurrate fast control for the xim?

We are using the ballistic curve and settings from this post

I think that is why this thread exists -- I don't think there is a way to get it perfect, the turn speed for vehicle turrets and such are capped slow by design on consoles. slower than PC.

Offline mist4fun

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 10:33 AM - 07/22/14 »
Yes, you're in the right place. Give the OP a read and go from there, you could try a steeper curve to achieve an even faster feel but as solly said, you're still limited by the game by how fast you can turn. This is a limitation set by the game developers and while we can change the type of acceleration used to reach the max turn speed, we cannot change the max turn speed. I suggest using the steps above to create a steep curve and then using controlled mouse movements for faster turns. Faster mouse swipes with a look mechanic that has a slow max turn speed will not yield an ideal turn rate. Use slow/medium swipes with a curve for fast turning.