XIM Community

Tut: Orbweaver + PS Vita thumbstick mod  (Read 13230 times)

Offline tuffrabit

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
    • tuffrabit's Twitch.tv channel
  • Gamertag: TuFFrabit
Tut: Orbweaver + PS Vita thumbstick mod
« on: 07:00 PM - 03/21/14 »
Here is the long awaited tutorial for the PS Vita stick mod for the Orbweaver.  Big thanks to W11cE for the PS Vita tutorial, enormous amounts of teensy work, and humoring my many questions.

Stuff you need:

Go ahead and have the PS Vita adapter mod done and attached to a teensy first.  You need about 6 inches of wire between the adapter and the teensy.  Follow the wiring diagram here: http://www.xim3.com/community/index.php?topic=25969.0

I'm not going to show you how to disassemble the thing.  Roads already did that here: http://www.xim3.com/community/index.php?topic=29270.0.  All you really need is the side module where the dpad, leds, and two buttons are.  You don't have to take the entire orb apart.  Use a thin spudger or smart phone pry tool to slowly pry the metal plate off to expose the screws.  Be aware... there is a small ball bearing and two springs inside the side module.  It's a good idea to disassemble the thing inside a box so you don't loose those.  Might want to take pictures or take notes so you remember how that stuff goes back.

Inside the side module you will see several separate PCB's.  One for the LEDs, one for the top button, and one for the dpad and bottom thumb button.  You will need to remove the top button PCB, the bottom thumb button lever, and the dpad PCB.

Here's what the dpad PCB looks like removed (it actually has the top button PCB attached to it via wires):

You need to remove the dpad assembly, but keep the actual PCB.  The dpad PCB also has the switch for the bottom thumb button.  That needs to stay.  So just de-solder the dpad assembly and remove it.

Here's the dpad PCB with the dpad itself removed (the thumb button switch is on the underside):

Next take the PS Vita stick and adapter from W11cE's mod tutorial and fold the adapter under the stick base.  Then position the entire thing in the side module's dpad hole and hot glue that sucker in place.  Be aware of stick orientation during this step.  I actually altered it away from Razer's default stick orientation.  I changed it so that when you move your thumb up it actually is UP on the stick instead of LEFT.

Here's the bottom and top (respectively) of what that looks like:

Now it's time to start reassembling stuff.  You need to start with the top button PCB and then the dpad PCB, just put those back in place and screw them down.  After that you can replace the bottom button lever, be forewarned that will require some elbow grease.  Don't worry you won't break the plastic... really push that thing back in.  Now carefully route the original wire bundle and the new thumbstick wires out of the same hole.  There's enough room for the new wires if you use something small enough.  I used AWG30, you might could get away with 28.  Anything larger than that and you will have to cut a bigger exit hole.  Go ahead and button everything back up.  Hope you remembered how all the springs went, lol.

Here's what it looks like with the wires routed and the teensy attached to the side of the exterior module:

Nuther shot of stuff assembled and the teensy in place:

Optional:
You can either leave the Vita stick as is, or you can put something on top of it to make it taller.  This comes down to personal preference, I personally feel as though the stock Vita stick is fine.  The guy I did this mod for wanted it to feel as much like a normal stick as possible.  I ended up attaching an fpsfreek to the top of the Vita stick.  You have to dremel a good bit of the grabby things from the bottom of the fpsfreek in order to allow for full range of movement once it's attached.

Here's a shot of that:

Software:

Before you do anything with flashing you need to read the following thread to fully understand W11cE's teensy goodness: http://www.xim3.com/community/index.php?topic=25969.0

First you have to calibrate the stick.  Load this sketch onto your teensy:
Code: [Select]
#include <EEPROM.h>

int Xmin = 1023; 
int Xmax = 0;     
int Ymin = 1023; 
int Ymax = 0;     

int Xread;
int Yread;

int current;

void setup() {

pinMode(13, OUTPUT);
   digitalWrite(13, HIGH);
   delay(4000);

digitalWrite(13, LOW);

current = millis();

while (millis() < current+5000) {

Xread = analogRead(7);
   Yread = analogRead(6);

if (Xread > Xmax) {
     Xmax = Xread;
   }

if (Xread < Xmin) {
     Xmin = Xread;
   }
   //_____________________________________________
   if (Yread > Ymax) {
     Ymax = Yread;
   }

if (Yread < Ymin) {
     Ymin = Yread;
   }
 }

EEPROM.write(0, highByte(Xmin));
   EEPROM.write(1, lowByte(Xmin));

EEPROM.write(2, highByte(Xmax));
   EEPROM.write(3, lowByte(Xmax));

EEPROM.write(4, highByte(Ymin));
   EEPROM.write(5, lowByte(Ymin));

EEPROM.write(6, highByte(Ymax));
   EEPROM.write(7, lowByte(Ymax));

digitalWrite(13, HIGH);

}

void loop() {
 digitalWrite(13, LOW);
 delay(100);
 digitalWrite(13, HIGH);
 delay(100);
}

After loading the sketch, plug your teensy into your PC.  As soon as you plug the teensy in you need to rotate your stick in full 360's.  Make sure you hit the outer bounds each time around.  Do this for at least 10 seconds.  Unplug the teensy and then load this sketch:

Code: [Select]
#include <EEPROM.h>

int Xval;
int Yval;
int overVal = 256;
int minX;
int maxX;
int minY;
int maxY;

void setup() {

minX = EEPROM.read(0) << 8 | EEPROM.read(1);
  maxX = EEPROM.read(2) << 8 | EEPROM.read(3);
  minY = EEPROM.read(4) << 8 | EEPROM.read(5);
  maxY = EEPROM.read(6) << 8 | EEPROM.read(7);

}

void loop() {

Xval = map(analogRead(7), minX, maxX, 0-overVal, 1023+overVal);
  Yval = map(analogRead(6), minY, maxY, 0-overVal, 1023+overVal);
  if(Xval < 0) Xval = 0;
  if(Xval > 1023) Xval = 1023;
  if(Yval < 0) Yval = 0;
  if(Yval > 1023) Yval = 1023;

Joystick.X(Xval);
  Joystick.Y(Yval);
}

XIM4 Anti Aim-assist curve: http://xim4.com/community/index.php?topic=31309.msg400143#msg400143
All you ever wanted to know about headsets and chat for the 360: http://www.xim3.com/community/index.php?topic=16461.0

Offline ak-xs

• MVP
  • I'm what you call a player of non sens xD
    • View Profile
    • don't click here!
Re: Tut: Orbweaver + PS Vita thumbstick mod
« Reply #1 on: 08:21 PM - 03/21/14 »
eye candy!  ;D

looks great btw
soon..

Offline abc123

• MVP
  • It's as easy as ABC 123
    • View Profile
    • unofficial xim api cloud for configs
  • Gamertag: Dr Donkey Kong
« Reply #2 on: 09:08 PM - 03/21/14 »
nice tutorial, makes me jelly...think i might go for a silent d-pad

Offline roads

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01:00 AM - 03/22/14 »
Very nice, might do it too but Vita stick price don't like.
RookCheck: Relax, no one is attacking you personally.

Offline W11cE

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04:42 PM - 03/25/14 »
Thanks for the tutorial tuff. I will do this too if i see orbweaver somewhere cheap. Which stick do you prefer more? Vita with fpsfreek or "regular" joystick?

Offline tuffrabit

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07:56 AM - 03/26/14 »
It's a tossup honestly.  The Vita stick is not as stiff as full sized sticks.  It doesn't feel loose, just easier to move.  I do really like the short travel distance on the Vita stick though.  Comes down to stiff feel and large movements or soft feel and short movements.  I like both for different reasons.

XIM4 Anti Aim-assist curve: http://xim4.com/community/index.php?topic=31309.msg400143#msg400143
All you ever wanted to know about headsets and chat for the 360: http://www.xim3.com/community/index.php?topic=16461.0

Offline R3MiX

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • PSN ID: KAMPR-
« Reply #6 on: 11:37 AM - 03/26/14 »
Im excited to get this back. Looking forward to next week when I have it.....or maybe by Saturday?  Woot! Woot!

Offline willthetech

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 01:25 PM - 03/26/14 »
Hmm…great project. So maybe I can take all of the internals out of the nav, put in a teensy board, the vita joystick and some other buttons…the only issue will be the code.

Offline roads

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 01:46 PM - 03/26/14 »
The code is already made by W11ce, it mimics a G13.
RookCheck: Relax, no one is attacking you personally.

Offline ak-xs

• MVP
  • I'm what you call a player of non sens xD
    • View Profile
    • don't click here!
« Reply #9 on: 10:40 PM - 03/26/14 »
It's a tossup honestly.  The Vita stick is not as stiff as full sized sticks.  It doesn't feel loose, just easier to move.  I do really like the short travel distance on the Vita stick though.  Comes down to stiff feel and large movements or soft feel and short movements.  I like both for different reasons.

i know right?
i like the short travel for movement speed that needs to be quick and comfortable (long) like what you usually have in FPS and even action TPS. i like the large travel for precise games like stealth action akin to MGS, Thief, Dishonored or 3rd person games like DarkSouls etc. ^^
soon..

Offline R3MiX

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • PSN ID: KAMPR-
« Reply #10 on: 07:55 AM - 04/01/14 »
Wanted to drop in and give Tuff MAD PROPS on a very clean mod he did on my Orbweaver. My first impression as I unboxed it was ,WOW! That is Clean!! I played some Halo 4 last night with the Orb and it just feels so smooth. Strafing with this stick is so smooth and responsive. Reds are awesome too !  It took a few weeks to get it done but the wait was worth and I appreciate that you kept me posted through out the process. You really wanted everything to my preference and that I have much respect for. Below are some pics that I took. Thanks again Tuff!

Thank for priceless ART too...LOL.

« Last Edit: 08:06 AM - 04/01/14 by XIVIV »

Offline THE-MARAVINGY

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • PSN ID: THE-MARAVINGY
« Reply #11 on: 12:35 PM - 04/01/14 »
And Tuff keyboards go global, i want one now.

Offline gavin18

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: sojhinn
« Reply #12 on: 03:15 PM - 04/22/14 »
Im really interested with this mod. I am ok with a soldering iron, but Im not sure If I would be able to handle the soldering required by the vita to the pcb. Is anyone here willing to handle that portion of the work (maybe programing the teensy), and I can install it into the orb myself.

Or as a second option is there another joystick that you would recommend that would require as much detailed soldering?

Offline tuffrabit

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 03:18 PM - 04/22/14 »
You could always use a PSP stick.  Those are much easier to solder to, but they feel like trash.

The Vita stick and it's PCB are not cheap.  There are people here who would be willing to make one for you, but it would be expensive.

Offline abc123

• MVP
  • It's as easy as ABC 123
    • View Profile
    • unofficial xim api cloud for configs
  • Gamertag: Dr Donkey Kong
« Reply #14 on: 06:25 PM - 04/22/14 »
tuff does this mod! he loved doing it!

LOL! PM him and he'll price it, i'm sure he's learned from his past mistakes! :)