XIM Community

mod- always know which controller button each n52te's keys hold!  (Read 4115 times)

Offline ak-xs

• MVP
  • I'm what you call a player of non sens xD
    • View Profile
    • don't click here!
hi! first lets talk about the
goal:

setting your XIMEdge's config cycle button to be the same has the LED scheme cycle button and just match the LED color to the controller key color and white for one of the triggers (using always the same trigger to be the one represented by light so you won't confuse them)

you will get a color representation of what controller button your keys are holding, its even easier to tell than a text indication..
i.e. every one knows the blue key is the X,etc..

the 4 main controller buttons will be illuminated in their respective colors each in their n52te's counterpart keys plus one of the triggers in white, and this whole config of colors will be saved on onboard memory and cycled along the XIM's configs so the colors adjust when you change config without added work.

why:

i use the n52te and the Nav with the XIM and several games. so i end up forgetting my binds and resorting to printscreens.
it's not bad, but it annoys me.. so i came up with a mod for the n52te which would allow for a universal solution.

said mod involves coding a program to set light scheme configs on the modded n52te so that each key will color independently from the others in the same color as the controller's key it is cloning. and setting a button to cycle those schemes, the same button used to cycle XIM's configs. so that way they'll always be in sync when in use as long as both are configured beforehand.

NOTE: i will do this with the n52te but you can do it to any Keyboard just the same.. so this is for all the KB users out there! stop having to get printscreens,guess keys or memorizing >9000 binds to use the XIM's configs effectively.

so what you will need:

- 6 LEDs able to produce RBGY and White color (well can be another color you want but white will work best)
- software to program a set number of configs, each with a set color for each of the 6 keys with the LEDs
- hardware arrangement's to make the above work (so most likely a arduino board with USB or BT to connect and edit the settings on PC). target is to insert the arduino inside the n52te
- clear keycaps will work best but any caps that let light through clearly will work.

NOTE: n52te's native backlighting doesn't work for this. so you need key switches that allow a LED to be installed. most popular would be the cherry MX switches but if you find them to be to expensive you can get very cheap alternatives to your liking... you won't ever regret using the right Cherry MX switches though, they are very different from what you use in normal keyboards, even most gaming keyboards... and no one who has ever tried one has ever gone back or said that they don't matter, they make a LOT of difference in various ways.. there is a tutorial thread for that mod so be sure to check that out if you like what you read.

PS: i'm getting blank translucent keycaps but i will paint them or use decals to further aid in the visual representation of the key's binds. so the gamepad's dpad will be represented by arrow keys and start+select/back+PS/home buttons will be game icons like portal's logo or half life's lambda,crosshairs,grenades,etc
(i also use the n52te on the PC and for that i don't need to memorize the binds since they mimic the regular keyboard keys. it's just for the improved looks)

Progress:
anyone interested? any pricing estimates ?

this is currently in the bare start. so if you would like to help you are more than welcome!
i'm still in brainstorming,design and research phase.. i will add proper hardware part requirements and where i got them along with visual representation for ease of comprehension and so you can easily do your own mod too just like this!

i'm hoping we can get OBsIV to help a bit to make the configuration of the light scheme configs more simple and automated but in order to do this i need to settle for the arduino part of the project...
soon..

Offline W11cE

• MVP
    • View Profile
Nice that you made own thread for this. :)
I think first you should think about keycaps + leds under those. (You dont need 6 different leds per keycap, just one RGB led.)

The problem is that the place for led that cherry switches have is for single led only. And its really small place. Even regular 3mm leds are too big. And now you should fit rgb led there. Even those SMD leds that i used in my mod are too big for that. Maybe some grinding of cherry switches is required.

Offline ak-xs

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • don't click here!
Nice that you made own thread for this. :)
I think first you should think about keycaps + leds under those. (You dont need 6 different leds per keycap, just one RGB led.)

The problem is that the place for led that cherry switches have is for single led only. And its really small place. Even regular 3mm leds are too big. And now you should fit rgb led there. Even those SMD leds that i used in my mod are too big for that. Maybe some grinding of cherry switches is required.

i just want 6 LEDS for the whole thing, not 6 for each key xD

first thing i'm going to do is LED research. then arduino or similar possibilities.. i don't think i'll get the mod done this year tbh since i'll have to learn so much just to get a final design to put together.
soon..

Offline THE-MARAVINGY

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • PSN ID: THE-MARAVINGY
I looked at these they do bespoke key designs not sure if they do transparent ones you could email them to see if they do http://www.qwerkeys.co.uk/ could be worth a try.

Offline ak-xs

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • don't click here!
so RBG leds are 5mm beasts. not really helping this along since the cherry switches are not cut out for this =S

here is some very easy to find info:
http://www.instructables.com/id/RGB-LED-Tutorial-using-an-Arduino-RGBL/step4/Digital-Arduino-Code/

the more research i do the more i realize how clueless i am in all this xD
i mean if i actually had the knowledge this would not be too hard to figure out, but at this moment this is quite hard to puzzle together xD
i wonder if i'll finish this before the year ends..

I looked at these they do bespoke key designs not sure if they do transparent ones you could email them to see if they do http://www.qwerkeys.co.uk/ could be worth a try.

i already knew about them and i don't know if they make transparent keycaps. i will resort to them if my other plan fails which is X-keys caps.
these:

they are cheap and work on cherry switches. i'm just trying to figure out where to buy, i'm waiting on a couple of emails. i think it's just faster to call though so i will do that soon. even if i order from US i think since it's less than 22 i don't pay customs so i might do that..

oh and don't be fooled by the pic, there are clear "white" one's and not just colored. it will give a funny look to the n52te, but the bonus these have is i can do my homemade "engraving" on the bottom of the top part (inside the keycap so it won't wear out) plus i'll paint the sides of the caps black. so that the light will be concentrated on the top.. i could do a more elaborate paint job to the keys in order to make the n52te look stylish instead of ghetto but i know grasp just how much time the arduino is going to take and i just can't afford to waste too much on aesthetics..
« Last Edit: 05:14 PM - 09/12/12 by ak-xs »
soon..

Offline ak-xs

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • don't click here!
made a "NOOB-PLS-HAVE-MERCY-AND-HELP" thread at arduino forum xD

despite my total lack of knowledge on this and some size and power issues this is becoming less foggy and more possible.

i hope i get someone to help because it will take me quite the time to really equalize all the details into a compatible set of parts to assemble.
soon..

Offline toysrme

• 14 National Championships
  • MVP
  • FannyPAX, best avatar EVAAAR!
    • View Profile
Im not sure how I can be of service as youve not asked a question. <confused>
Somebody didn't read the rules before posting. You need a post count of 100 500 to talk directly to toys.
XIM Induced RAGE Video

^Global Win Rate = 46%

Offline ak-xs

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • don't click here!
Im not sure how I can be of service as youve not asked a question. <confused>

i'm clueless as to the hardware design and build. can you help me with this?
which LEDs should i buy ? i think the hole for the LEDs is 3mm in diameter.
 will USB be enough to power 6 RGB LEDs+arduino ?
how do i connect the LEDs to arduino ?

see i got lots of questions
soon..

Offline W11cE

• MVP
    • View Profile
So how many keys you want to light up ?
You propably have to use matrix wiring for the leds.

Quote from: ak-xs
which LEDs should i buy ? i think the hole for the LEDs is 3mm in diameter.
Thats the thing i mentioned before. You have to modify cherry switches to fit any rgb led there.

Quote from: ak-xs
see i got lots of questions
My boss always says: break it down.
Dont try to solve the whole thing at the same time.
Focus on individual problem and solve it. Eventually you will have answers for everything.
Have you studied project management ? Helps also on small projects like this.

Offline W11cE

• MVP
    • View Profile
Here, if you dont know what is matrix wiring.
Dont be scared about the code. Its for showing text on 8x8 led matrix and a little too much for this.
btw, i havent done led matrix stuff with arduino, so im not an expert.

Offline W11cE

• MVP
    • View Profile
Ive been thinking about this and the only possible solution ive came up with would be smd led on pcb and cherry switch on the top of that. That cherry switch would have a hole on the position where led/diode is supposed to be. And the light would come through that hole.
Pic:

On the bottom left is the bottom part of the switch. You see the right side (front on installed position) is totally empty. Thats where the hole comes.

and this is the led ive been thinking about for this:
Size: 1210

That would be small enough and still possible to solder with medium soldering skills. Also a lot of those can be found on eBay. Ill buy few.

Offline ak-xs

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • don't click here!
wow thanks for really helping out!

sorry i have been out of the matter. i'm still waiting on the stuff but they will be here soon.
i have successfully recruited someone with soldering skills to help me.
i have still to recruit someone from electronics degree study's in college but it will try my best on that soon.
i have still not found anyone with arduino exp in my degree but i will get into it soon to.

all the pieces are arriving shortly so i will get into this soon.

this LED stuff really puzzles me. i always thought we would have to get a diode into the cherrys and the actual LED bellow for this to work. i have zero real knowledge about LEDs outside of the finished consumer perspective and i've seen things are deceptive.. let me know your progress and where you got the parts from please..
soon..