XIM Community

XIM Edge Impressions / Reviews ...  (Read 19815 times)

Offline voidecho

• View Profile
  • PSN ID: voidecho75
Re: XIM Edge Impressions / Reviews ...
« Reply #15 on: 08:20 AM - 10/04/12 »
Thought I'd write up a quick review for the XIM Edge.  For a little background, I'm a wii mote/nun chuck FPS player from the Wii (GE and COD mostly).   Have never played a video game with a mouse before.  Bought a PS3 and tried to play Black Ops (a game I've played on Wii) using the Dual Shock and it was awful.  After 14 hours I had a .48 ktd and 11.55% accuracy. 

A friend of mine recommended the XIM, so I gave it a shot.  It arrived a day earlier than expected.  Took me a little while to get things all set up correctly, but once I did, the improvement was immediate.  Went positive in my first game and most of the games after that the first night.  I'm no pro, but my ktd is up over 1.15 and accuracy is over 15% (strictly AR and SMG user here, no shotties or snipers). 

It's very easy to change button setup in game and even easier to bump up or down your hip fire and ADS sensitivities in game.  I'm still learning about some of the advanced settings (ballistic curves, etc.), but there are a lot of different configurations and settings.  As a wii mote veteran, I immediately decided the Sony Nav + Gaming Mouse (G700) was the best set up for me.  It's still in development and testing, but they are working on being able to use the Nav wirelessly (mouse can already be used wirelessly) which will be a great enhancement. 

I've had a few issues with getting the Nav to work a few times when I've tried playing.  I've found that switching wires around seems to somehow fix the issue.  Other than that, everything's been great.  I've already had two other friends buy the XIM since I got it.  It's highly recommended!

Offline mfn_pie

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 02:53 PM - 10/28/12 »
I will preface this with stating that I have never played a FPS on PC. I have always been a console player and really didn't get into FPS games until recently.

Ok, so in order for me to actually be able to play COD, my controller sensitivity had to be set super low at 2-3. It was the only way that I could track enemy players. I die. A lot. My KD ratio is horrible, but over the weekend I brought it up 1.6 points.

I am using the Nostromo and G400. I am not sure what my sensitivity is with the Edge, and I have found that I am increasing and increasing it as I get more comfortable. The biggest issue that I have is wasd movement, I seem to get hung up in doorways and stuff but that is just going to require more practice. My play style is run and gun.. I have to constantly be moving. I have found with the Edge, I can actually do this. I have run through a spawn point and taken out 5 enemies. This never would have happened before. Is that your face? Let me spray it with bullets! The majority of the time yesterday I was either positive or one or two kills away from being positive. Unheard of.  Excellent product. I am excited to see how my gameplay evolves.

Offline Joey McCamper

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 04:39 PM - 11/01/12 »
I will preface this with stating that I have never played a FPS on PC. I have always been a console player and really didn't get into FPS games until recently.

Ok, so in order for me to actually be able to play COD, my controller sensitivity had to be set super low at 2-3. It was the only way that I could track enemy players. I die. A lot. My KD ratio is horrible, but over the weekend I brought it up 1.6 points.

I am using the Nostromo and G400. I am not sure what my sensitivity is with the Edge, and I have found that I am increasing and increasing it as I get more comfortable. The biggest issue that I have is wasd movement, I seem to get hung up in doorways and stuff but that is just going to require more practice. My play style is run and gun.. I have to constantly be moving. I have found with the Edge, I can actually do this. I have run through a spawn point and taken out 5 enemies. This never would have happened before. Is that your face? Let me spray it with bullets! The majority of the time yesterday I was either positive or one or two kills away from being positive. Unheard of.  Excellent product. I am excited to see how my gameplay evolves.

To be honest, it might not hurt to try the Sony Move Nav controller. I'm running a G700 and Nostromo, so I have a similar set up like you do. But with the Sony Move and G700 I feel like it was a better set up and one I felt comfortable with. The Nostromo is a neat gaming keyboard but like you I have trouble with the WASD movement. With the G700 and Move? Feels better for me. Try it.

Offline Tschudy79

• View Profile
Awesome!
« Reply #18 on: 01:10 AM - 11/19/12 »
Just wanted to say thanks for building such a great product.  I have used "other" products that have attempted to emulate the mouse/keyboard feel for consoles but this is the only one that truly feels authentic.  I used to be strictly a PC players with CSS and MW a few years ago.  The ease of console gaming drew me in...but I never truly loved shooters because of the controls.  Your product has fixed that problem!! 

Also, I appreciate how active moderators are on the forums.  It is rare that you can actually communicate with a company today and get a response so quickly.

Basically...I'm very satisfied so far and THANKS!!!

Offline Mortadelo

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: hikikomori4ever
« Reply #19 on: 01:46 PM - 11/26/12 »
Today xim edge has come home. At first I got involved a little looking at the instructions but once installed and running all I have to say that I find incredible product quality. I'm a PC gamer and I think the product is simply the best. I want to congratulate the team has achieved this great feat.

My setup is a g13 keyboard and mouse Ozone Radon 5k. I can confirm that the mouse works perfectly with all buttons.

Sorry for my English is not very good, I'm Spanish. Regards and good game.

Offline ib3killen

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 04:47 PM - 11/26/12 »
i just received my Xim Edge today and man was i pumped i was all like YEA OWNING TIME! lol but enough about all that, i set up my xim today and i was surprised at how easy and responsive the xim was to set up the start and back button response is super quick and very easy to understand even to someone who has never seen a xim or used one at all..

its small not heavy at all it looks well built though and the LED lights help you allot while you are customizing stuff. the input lag is honestly non existant, well i play allot of pc games and i stopped noticing it honestly in 5 minutes and it really did nothing to inhibit my gaming at all.

which brings me over to the performance section, i honestly thought that playing with this was going to bring me back to my bad @#$% days of playing cod but honestly it really didnt black ops 2 is completely different and really built around a control. the heavy clunky stiffness is not transferred over to the xim SO YOU HAVE TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY AGAIN!! lol its honestly so weird the game feels completely different with the xim than with a controller. it feels faster and you are more in control.

i have lost all touch with this game i aim sometimes over aim, i can spin faster than people behind me so much so that i forget to shoot and just look at people trying so hard to face me while im  back peddling right behind them. its so easy i really forget sometimes to stab or even shoot i just look at them for some reason.

Drop shotting now is the easiest thing on the planet i cant tell you how many times ive tried to do it with a controller with the xim its so easy its actually fun now and i love frustrating people with it the way i was frustrated with it once before.

however not everything is great shooting with a fully automatic fal with the target finder scope is weird sometimes the auto aim mixed with the fast movements of the mouse mess it up like youll shoot way of target for no reason however when you remove that target finder and just use the iron sights its easy idk why.

overall im happy with my purchase the confines of the controller are no longer a problem for me, but keep in mind this by no means gives you a leg up against good teams or good players, that is ofcourse until you master the key/mouse combo for the game.

youll be surprised at how good the xim works and disappointed that at the end of the day it really doesnt make you better its just an aide for those who are tired of using thumbs FOR EVERY FREAKING THING!

that is all

Offline Chance

• MVP
  • I use the XIM because I broke my right thumb.
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
  • Gamertag: Chance SL
  • PSN ID: Chance_SL
« Reply #21 on: 09:36 AM - 11/27/12 »
I've had it for nearly 2 months now, and I said I'd share my likes of this device when I've played it, and can't remember doing that, well, here it is, this device is so much better than the Eagle Eye Converter and closer to PC feel too, I love it, the mods and admins here do stuff, but over in EE land they did hardly anything, I promoted the XIME last month, and there have been no new posts at all, in an entire section.

The reason why I was buying things like the Eagle Eye and the XIM Edge, was because I wanted to use a mouse, because I broke my thumb, fractured my skull too, and have slight difficulties with my right arm, sometimes it's stiff. Like another review said, using a mouse doesn't make you better, it's just another way to access a game and simpler than using your thumb.
Also, another part of my head injury thing is I acquired brain damage too, so my memory is atrocious and 10 years of it are damaged, why I'm putting this in my review for the XIME I dunno, but the reason behind owning a XIME is the above.

I gotta say, I love the XIME the way the Smart Translator works is amazing, what can I say other than "I LOVE THIS DEVICE"? I can't think of any flaws, so if you're reading this and not a member of this community, I would definitely recommend the XIME over competing devices, I've tried the EE, Splitfish FragFX and the XFPS, those other devices had flaws, the FragFX had poor mouse aiming and the mouse side isn't customisable at all (other than deadzones) and it didn't work with Max Payne 3, the XFPS was atrocious mouse-wise and the EE just isn't as good as the XIM.
That's another thing, I can play Max Payne 3 more than with the EE, while it worked with the EE it didn't come close to what XIME does!
An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind.
---------------------------------------------------
Mouse-pad: SteelSeries QcK Gaming Mouse Pad (Black)
Delay: 120

PC & Xbox 360 Slim 320 GB HDD
---------------------------------------------------

Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Chance_SL/

PC: Yes.
360: Yes.
PS3: No.
PS4: Maybe.
XBONE: Never.

Offline NeCr0mStR

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: d3db0d3m4n
« Reply #22 on: 01:16 PM - 01/03/13 »
Got this amazing and wonderful toy for Christmas this year with some other goodies.  The GF was afraid with my frustration with the Xbox controller I really would stop gaming because I hate the form and function of the 360 controller.  Who decided accelerated analog was a good thing?

Anyways, I must say, after opening the package and reading the small amount of instruction I was up and running in about 10 minutes.  I use an old N52 Nostromo (Belkin original) with a Logitech MX518 and I couldn't be happier.  I am starting to play with the mouse ballistic curves to try to get more responsiveness out of the "quick swipe" motion when I want to do something like a 180 degree turn in game (BO2 right now), but still maintain precise control when I need to scope in for long shots with a sniper class.

Still have a lot of reading to do about what I can and can't do.

Offline kerman19

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 08:14 PM - 01/10/13 »
Hello there!

I ordered my XIM Edge on Tuesday, arrived this morning via A DZ so delivery was nice and fast!

By nature I'm a huge PC gamer, or at least, I used to be before everyone started buying Consoles! I was a massive HL/CS/HL2/CS:S player from HL's release until a few years ago!

I originally came from an Eagle Eye on my xbox, which I had set up well so I was apprehensive how much of an improvement this would be!

Well, lets just say ALOT! I guess I must have adapted to the way the Eagle Eye felt so when I set up my configs, went in game an dialed in the sensitivity it felt absolutely awesome, as smooth as silk!

One thing I was exceptionally happy to experience is the ability to turn at an acceptable flick of the mouse without hitting the max turn speed, but also having the fine control over the mouse for overall accuracy.

I also love the fact that the only real thing I need to concern myself with is keybinds, and sensitivity. No more Dead Zones, Angle Correction, DPI  tweaking and messing with in-game sensitivity to nail down something that feels connected.

The mouse I'm using is an unweighted G500, set at 5700dpi, 1000 poll rate. Keyboard is a standard Dell USB keyboard, the same that I use at work day in day out, which is why I chose to use that as my finger is well attuned to the feel of that keyboard.

So yeah, I'm happy that I parted with the cash, it's worth the money, no doubt! I had a blast on BO2
tonight.

Phil

Offline lakonian

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 08:30 PM - 01/22/13 »
My first impression with the Edge is that ObsIV was just  upgrading his profit margin but then I got it up and started using it!  wow!  I saw the genius of being able to make adjustments in game without the guess work.  With the lights I can see whats going on from across my desk with out having to strain leaning over looking at that screen, so quick and easy!  No more hesitation to switch classes that uses a different config! THUMBS UP!

Offline edLoki

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: Hargadoo
« Reply #25 on: 12:51 PM - 01/25/13 »
Reposting here as suggested by admins:

My xim edge came in yesterday, and after a bit of difficulty setting up the PS NAV instead of keyboard, I was back to gaming.

I have these prior to xim
-- Aimon elite
-- Eagle eye
-- Hori mouse/keyboard for PS3

Those all sucked and they're a horrid waste of money (if you own one of them and switched to xim edge, you know what I'm talking about). 

The xim edge is years ahead of the competition.  Showed it to a couple of friends and they're now ordering their xims as well.

Thank you so much, xim team.  Wish I knew about you guys before I bought your competition.

BTW: The only trouble I had setting up the Sony Nav was that I was confused how to map the Nav's buttons in xim manager.   After about an hour mapping the Nav buttons by trial and error, I finally visited the forums and there was a picture of the Sony Nav with the labels for the button numbers.

Would be nice for future XIM Edge customers to have the documentation for Sony Nav included in the manual. That is:

-- tell them that Sony Nav is supposed to be mapped as a joystick (my first attempt was to just plug in the Sony Nav and try to start playing)
-- Include the photo of the Sony Nav with a map of the buttons numbered.

Offline doc911

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: doc911dr
« Reply #26 on: 09:17 AM - 01/28/13 »
HI,
I just wanted to say thanks from a long-time PC gamer (25 years).

I have a disability and my hands are not able to properly use the XBOX 360 controller for more than a few minutes and my thumb has had the ligaments torn off the back several years ago and doesn't respond well at all.

I thought i was stuck paying ridiculous PC upgrade amounts just to keep my system current enough to play recent games. This was starting to drain my spending money in a negative way. The feeling of buying a game and then, each year or so, another video card or something else was a horrible existence just to be able to enjoy my favorite hobby.

I read about 70 or 80 threads about different adapters for the 360 before making up my mind to dive in and buy the XIME. I also bought the g400 mouse based on all of the comments from veteran members. I already had a g13 gaming pad for my PC as it is a bit more ergonomic for a crippled old man like me. I am thrilled to say that I couldn't be happier!

After a very careful read and install and setup of my first game (Halo Reach) I jumped in to find that I made some mistakes with the setup and was back on the forums in a flash. 2 quick reads of the posts solved my issue and I was up and running and gunning on a game I had never played before. What fun. I read a lot about lag and getting the perfect HIP and ADS setup but it was far easier than I could have imagined. I don't even know what my HIP and ADS sensitivities are as I play by feel and I just dialed it in in under 2 minutes. 2 days of exploring led me to try multiplayer. Got killed my first few times out but not due to aim. I was spot on as I have 2 decades of FPS under my belt and have trained myself with the standard tactics and positioning. I just didn't know the style of play for Halo and was running in map circles. 2 days of map study later and I was top 2 or 3 in every game I played after that.

My casual gaming life is back. Thanks!

I have now experimented with Halo 4 and CoD Blops2, BF3, Max Payne 3, Mass Effect 2, Borderlands 2 and I have loved it all. LOVED IT ALL!

I only use my useless thumb to jump and crouch. I could not use it to aim with analog stick before worth a @#$%. ANd there is virtually no pain when I play now.

OBsIV, I am in your debt. This IS the answer for those who are unable to use / hold a controller and are familiar with M/KB to play games. I will also save a bundle each year as games are the only thing to "upgrade" and I will never think someone got the drop on me because they paid more for their system than I did.

Did I say thanks? If not clear, this is a life changer for the handicapped community of gamers.

Much respect,
doc911

Offline Hipjones

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 10:26 AM - 01/29/13 »
After a week of anticipation and skepticism, I finally received my Edge yesterday. Literally had it up, going and tripling my fun and score in 20 minutes. As far as a review....WOW!!! That's all I have. Wish it was more complicated than that but..........WOW!! Thanks for your awesome product!!!!

Offline jeysun

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 01:06 PM - 02/02/13 »
Hi,

Just received my XIM Edge in the mail. With very minimal configuration I am playing CoD MW3 on PS3 with an old keyboard and generic Microsoft mouse and the movement is sooooo smooth. I had to crank the sensitivity but it still feels great. I may invest in a better mouse but don't even feel the need to right now.

Awesome product.

Thanks! 

Offline vannak

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 02:37 AM - 02/08/13 »
Just got mine in the mail (I'm from Australia).

Ordered it on Monday, got it Friday morning.

2 seconds to setup and use, VERY awesome!

I've been a PC gamer all my life and I have a lot of XBOX gaming friends, this was worth the money.