XIM Community

xim3 cad model images for att OBsiv and community  (Read 9005 times)

Offline xleejohnx

• View Profile
    Hi, firstly to introduce myself properly, my name is Lee, I am a mechanical Design Engineer, I use 3d cad software to create components that are firstly purposeful and aesthetically pleasing to the eye, I am delegated tasks that vary from research and development to creating Mold tools with the large company I work for. When I first received my xim3 I was very impressed by the materials used and the importance of the design, this body is a real piece of work and who ever modelled this should be really proud of them selves, when I seen the xim, i had to model it, but all i have done is modelled the out side as I dont want to break the xim, and from being in the UK, I wouldn't want to pay any import taxes.
    People sometimes say that the xim3 is a bit expensive, but they don't understand the amount of work and cost that a project costs just to get it even to the trialling stage.
    • Design cost
    • mold tool design cost(can vary between 500-1500)
    • Creation of the mold tool that makes the plastic parts, probably a two impression (two tools) 8000-15000 dependent if a hot runner system as been used to fill the die cavities.
    • assembly- employees wage
    These costs then have to be absorbed in to the product to become feasible and thats without the endless hours of code written for the xim3 to work.

These are just some of the hidden costs that are a necessity when creating parts, Obsiv you are an inspiration to any one that has thought of a personal project and wanted to take it to the next stage, I hope you look at what you have accomplished with pride and satisfaction.

I have reverse engineered the shell of the xim3, I haven't finished the model yet, but i managed to render some images of my personal project, this is a personal project and it will never go further than that, i just wanted to model up the xim as its a joy to look at. please enjoy and leave comments regarding the following images that I have created, I give you any permissions required if you want to use images or future images for sales or anything Obsiv and team deem fit.
    As of yet i haven't completed the design, i still have to create the usb female, mini usb, 5 volt jack and the decals for the screen, i will upload the images as progress develops.

Kind Regards

xleejohnx
« Last Edit: 02:26 AM - 10/09/11 by xleejohnx »

Offline xleejohnx

• View Profile
Re: xim3 cad model images for att OBsiv and community
« Reply #1 on: 05:00 AM - 08/28/11 »
new image update with the inclusion of usb female (mini as well)

Offline Passkes

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05:46 AM - 08/28/11 »
Hi Lee,

Looking good :)

Xmarket.tk - The Unofficial XIM users market

XIM3 || 46" Samsung C7700 3D LED TV
SteelSeries Merc Stealth keyboard || Belkin N52te Nostromo keypad
Cyborg R.A.T. 7 Mouse || Razer Goliathus Control Limited Edition Mousemat
Turtle Beach PX5 Headset || Razer Onza TE Controller
Hauppauge 1256 HD PVR

Offline Od1n

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05:52 AM - 08/28/11 »
awesome work indeed

im actually really impressed about the back of the xim3, the color and the shape are 1:1 on my display
(i know displays variate a lot in colors but on mine its exactly the same color ;) )

did you use any laser scanner to get the measurements?
or just by watching and adapting?
PS4 & X1 | C: MS | XIM4 | FW: the latest ofc! :) | Mon: BenQ XL2420Z | Pad: Zowie G-SR | KB: Ducky DK1008L Cherry Red O-Rings| A: AKG K701 Creative X7 Antlion Modmic | M: Zowie EC1-A | D: 3200 | P: 1000hz | BF4 4 HIP: 35 ADS: 20

Check out my Youtube Channel: XIMGameplay
Du sprichst Deutsch? Hier gehts zum deutschen Forum

Offline xleejohnx

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04:38 AM - 08/29/11 »
awesome work indeed

im actually really impressed about the back of the xim3, the color and the shape are 1:1 on my display
(i know displays variate a lot in colors but on mine its exactly the same color ;) )

did you use any laser scanner to get the measurements?
or just by watching and adapting?

Thank you, to dimension the xim I have used a digital vernier(caliper) a micrometer, A 6 inch rule
and a protractor to ascertain the draft angles on the sides, We don't have a laser scanner but we do have an engineering room that has 5 axis cnc milling machines also spark and wire erosion machines,
In the drawing office we do have a rapid prototype machine
Code: [Select]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Bc0Qdb4k1M that could produce a reproduced model of the xim, I had been contemplating having the shell made in the prototype machine just to see what the model looks like physically, the model i have created on the Cad software is 1:1 scale so its a perfect size for size.
I will have more time over the coming week to finalize the model, put decals on and such, then i can bring it into showcase and 3dsMax and do some high quality renders of the xim3,

Attached is various angled images of the model, Od1n I included your name within the geometry text, again this is just the model, it will look very realistic once I have fully rendered it, with the hope the images can be used either on the site or for sales and of course for free!!!!!, I do it just to give back to the xim community.

Love the site and it will love you back is a very good saying

« Last Edit: 04:56 AM - 08/29/11 by xleejohnx »

Offline Od1n

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 04:45 AM - 08/29/11 »
oh i see, nice work man, lets see what obsiv thinks about this when he checks out this topic :)

btw osbiv shouldve created that xim3 for me that you designed in your attached picture ;o
PS4 & X1 | C: MS | XIM4 | FW: the latest ofc! :) | Mon: BenQ XL2420Z | Pad: Zowie G-SR | KB: Ducky DK1008L Cherry Red O-Rings| A: AKG K701 Creative X7 Antlion Modmic | M: Zowie EC1-A | D: 3200 | P: 1000hz | BF4 4 HIP: 35 ADS: 20

Check out my Youtube Channel: XIMGameplay
Du sprichst Deutsch? Hier gehts zum deutschen Forum

Offline Passkes

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 10:57 AM - 08/29/11 »
Stop drooling Od1n :D

I see all kinds of potential with this.
Like a red top and a black bottom for the XIM3 with a custom logo or name on it
(besides the XIM3 logo ofcourse).

What kind of CNC milling machine do you have Lee?  Perhaps a Fanuc?

I used to do my case mods on a Fanuc with Mastercam software (didn`t really like Mastercam though)

Xmarket.tk - The Unofficial XIM users market

XIM3 || 46" Samsung C7700 3D LED TV
SteelSeries Merc Stealth keyboard || Belkin N52te Nostromo keypad
Cyborg R.A.T. 7 Mouse || Razer Goliathus Control Limited Edition Mousemat
Turtle Beach PX5 Headset || Razer Onza TE Controller
Hauppauge 1256 HD PVR

Offline xleejohnx

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 02:22 PM - 08/29/11 »
Stop drooling Od1n :D

I see all kinds of potential with this.
Like a red top and a black bottom for the XIM3 with a custom logo or name on it
(besides the XIM3 logo ofcourse).

What kind of CNC milling machine do you have Lee?  Perhaps a Fanuc?

I used to do my case mods on a Fanuc with Mastercam software (didn`t really like Mastercam though)

We have 3 VMC vertical milling machines and one Roder hard milling machine that can still cut metal that is up to 54 Rc (rockwell) hardness, We have a fully operating tool room as we create mold tools and press tools, we also have 4 surface grinders, two turning lathes, cnc lathe, honing machine, 5 manual Bridgeport milling machines, two wire erosion machines, 4 spark erosion machines, electode creation milling machine that cuts graphite at 60,000 rpm.
The cncs use translation software called edge cam
Code: [Select]
http://www.edgecam.com/ but the programming language is Heidenhain, the lathe uses the code language of Fanuc, we provide the shop floor with SAT of XT files of the electrodes or models and there software lets them configure certain parameters for creation, they also have to account for slot drill diameter, ball nose diamaters, speeds and feeds.
The software we use in the drawing office is Autodesk Inventor, this software also has the tooling creation facility but still can not compete with the tooling software called Cimatron.
To create individual a xim3 with your id on it would be quite costly as pads with your id would needed to be accomodated into the mold tool, it would be possible to change the colour as long as the same material was used, this will ensure the material shrinkage would stay the same during mold creation.
at the end of the day though this is Obsiv's baby and its up to him what he would want to do, but like i said its not that easy to customize production parts.
I will post more updated pictures of the model in a couple of days.
And thank you Passkes for your querie, I hope I answered it as best as I could.
Kind Regards

xleejohnx
« Last Edit: 02:49 PM - 08/29/11 by xleejohnx »

Offline legendboy

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: LOVE 1S A F1ST
« Reply #8 on: 02:56 PM - 08/31/11 »
I am also an inventor user.

Just upgraded to product design suite 2012.  its pretty sweet

Offline xleejohnx

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 03:53 PM - 08/31/11 »

yeah its pretty good, we have 4 licenses of the software and due to the stuff we develop, we upgrade every year, this is what Ive currently got ~

I have almost finalised the design, i will upload images of the model tomorrow, then ill begin to render the model to make it realistic

Offline stetab

• MVP
  • (✌゚∀゚)☞
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: BO4TZ
« Reply #10 on: 03:59 PM - 08/31/11 »
Nice, looking forward to seeing what you've done ;)

Offline roads

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 10:51 PM - 08/31/11 »
Hey, design a stand for the XIM3, try to make samething stable, stabilizing cable pull and bringing it upright.
RookCheck: Relax, no one is attacking you personally.

Offline sbc2k1

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 01:09 AM - 09/01/11 »
Make something. I will buy it.
BFH

Offline stetab

• MVP
  • (✌゚∀゚)☞
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: BO4TZ
« Reply #13 on: 11:43 AM - 09/01/11 »
I was thinking about making a stand out of fimo

Offline xleejohnx

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 01:54 PM - 09/01/11 »
Hey, design a stand for the XIM3, try to make samething stable, stabilizing cable pull and bringing it upright.

Can you please elaborate on what you mean as I dont fully understand, thanks.

Hi Legendboy, do you use inventor in your profession or as a hobby

Right, as promised I have finalized the model, I still haven't added the screen images yet, i will hopefully have that done over the weekend, again these images are just to show the model in its current state.
I have also added a gold xim3 and a deluxe xim3 but the others are on a white background with bottom shadows ~ hope you like them ;)